1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what's up, BB ?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by pinoybaptist, Jul 14, 2014.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I can rightfully say that in almost two decades of computer use, 5 years of tech support (mostly internet users, some browser support), I could say that I am a mildly astute user, but for the life of me I do not understand why in one forum I was trying to respond to, with two paragraphs of over 100 words, I keep getting this 'ACCESS FORBIDDEN........additionally....." page.
    However, when I reply with a shorter reply, like "testing, testing, this is the page....." then the 'access forbidden, yada, yada' doesn't come up and the short reply goes through.

I know that I have BB on my 'permitted sites' section of my firewall and anti-virus software. I tried another browser (I am using Chrome) and still got the same 'access forbidden' thing.

WHAT'S UP, BB ?

Then, for some reason, when I log in, and tick the 'remember me' box, Chrome is able to 'hold' me (or is it BB ?) for two or three exits, and on the third or fourth time I re-open Chrome to go to BB I find I need to log in again.
    Now, like I said, I've done some browser support (mind you, I do not claim to be absolutely an expert on browser settings) so I did go and make sure that the cookies/security settings were correctly set, and, just on the off-chance, checked on my anti-virus/firewall again, and found everything to be in order.

so, WHAT'S UP, BB ?

thanks.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So I'm going to try to post a longer response to you to see if this is what I get. I'm so not computer savvy at all - that would be my husband - but I've learned a few things from him from osmosis and one thing would be to have someone else try it out as well. So here I am.

It's going to rain today and the temperatures drop. I'm looking forward to that although I'm not looking forward to keeping the horses inside for a couple of days. We also have basketball camp at church and we'd like for it to not rain from 6-8 pm each night so if you can pray for that, it would be great. Next week I head to camp with my daughter and I hope it only rains at night while we are there. I'm excited to be going again!

OK - So let's see if this was long enough to be an issue. Is this how long the longer responses would be?

ETA: It went through fine.

3. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, on the next reply box, I will post what I was trying to.
    Somebody said it could be a word filter, or a words filter.
    I don't know, really.
    So I did the next best thing I could think of, blame Chrome, uninstall it, restart the computer, run a disk empty space eraser, reinstall chrome, check the settings.
    let's see.

4. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    nope.
    it didn't go through, again.
    I still got the access forbidden thingamajig.
    I'm beginning to consider the word filter/s suggestion.
    I'll try to use different words for some which I would filter if I was admin.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    here's the post...filtered....

If you mean saved from fire, from the wrath of God, from the penalty of sin, to eternal glory with God, well, I guess, I wasn't around yet then. I could say I was still a seed within the lowest bowels of the earth (to use a scriptural term) of my earliest ancestors.

If you mean saved from the false doctrines of the Roman Catholic church, from a violent route through marxism, from a gang mentality, from alcohol, tobacco, and firearms (apologies to the US ATF), from knife fights (snipped), from women in red who wink at you and entice you, well, I guess I was at a Bible Baptist church waiting for a chance to argue that God is not, and instead got drawn to a Christ I never heard of taught that way by anyone, and to a New Testament they were giving away for those who would 'walk to the altar' and 'accept' Christ as Savior.

Note: bolded and italics are substituted words.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

so the words were he double toothpicks, not sure the word for bowels and the last one was gang hitting really hard

It wouldn't let it go through for me either.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

hell is where Satan lives

I think this one will go through.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

the gang word is the word that is a problem but I think if you separate banging out, it will work?

9. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pinoy, have you tried rebooting your computer?

10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I had the same problem. I thought it was the number of links I had in my post (4) the exact message when through when I simply divided it into two posts.

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think so, too. I just included hell because it may have been filtered out as a cuss word.
    at least I know what to do next time.
    figure out which word or words were being filtered.
    the program should at least pop out a warning that certain filters were activated, that way the user wouldn't be left scratching his head and back and the dog's tummy.

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    first thing, brother.

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, at least, next time, you'll have a second suspect.
    filtering.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Most every other board I go on will just filter offensive words with stars and not go through this kind of thing!

15. thisnumbersdisconnected

It would be nice of the administrators would participate in this thread and tell us exactly what is and is not acceptable so we can anticipate the problems and avoid them in our posts.

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That's weird though, because when I divided the post I didn't reword anything. Odd.

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

It was the links that triggered the "FORBIDDEN" page. I had five links in a post the other day and had the same issue come up. When I reworded the post so that there was just a detailed description of where to find two of the articles I was posting, it went through.

Again, It would be nice if an administrator would show up and tell us what's going on!!!

Not that that did any good, but what the hey?

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The admin of this board does not control those things. The owner Andrew does. Also I am very familiar with the software that this board is run on and I am not aware of any settings that offensive words would create this reaction. Especially in light of the fact that the version of this software Andrew uses is about 6 years old. You all may be attributing the issue to the wrong cause.

When you recieve an "access forbidden" warning it is a permissions issue which could be the result from any number of things like corruption of the .htaccess file, or a change on the actual server causing some problems (Andrew owns his own server so it would also be his problem). Also if your ip is close in numbers to another ip that is banned it can cause these types of problems.

I will add that this is not an uncommon problem.

#18 Revmitchell, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could also be a corruption in the database.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I'm pretty sure the board is filtering words. Last week I tried to post something using the word p*ker and I got the Access Forbidden message. When I removed the word the post went through.

Just did it again. I will now alter the word and see if it goes through.

Yes, it goes through now.

The word is a five letter word for a card game. Usage: Seven Card Stud ______. Or else the word used to describe the utensil you use to stir up a fire. Rhymes with joker. Just try to post something using this word and see what happens.