1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermons

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Aug 3, 2014.

?
  1. Preach sermons as a series?

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  2. Preach sermons geared towards holidays?

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Preach verse by verse, line by line?

15 vote(s)
    62.5%
  4. DOesn't usually have a topic when he starts, but does when he is finished?

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  5. Regularly prepares for his sermons?

21 vote(s)
    87.5%
  6. Each service is a totally different topic.

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Lets the Bible fall open, and that is where he preaches.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Comes prepared for one sermon but preaches another.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

As a pastor, or does your pastor do any of the following as his sermons?

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a story:

The preacher stepped up to the pulpit and announced he was going to rely on the Lord to provide a message. He began to pray in earnest invoking all the power of Heaven to put words in his mouth to deliver to the congregation. Finishing with a booming Amen the preacher randomly flipped open the pages of his Bible.

Tension built as he stared at the page before him. Nothing. Folks started to squirm in their seats awaiting the words to start. Nothing. The preacher opened his mouth. Nothing.

Finally a booming voice was heard from above, "You should have prepared a sermon."

3. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I can't imagine a pastor NOT preparing for a sermon. I'm pretty sure I'd find a new church the next week if the pastor "Let the Bible fall open, and that is where he preaches."

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been asked to preach, in other venues, at the last minute when there was not time to prepare other than pray. I can do it but even then I am pulling from sermons and preparation I have made before.

However, from week to week sermon prep can take as long as 10 or more hours to as few as a couple. It various depending on how familiar I am with the topic.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I preach through an entire book. Occasionally, as circumstances dictate, I will preach on a specific topic, only to come back to the book I have been preaching from.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hubby likes series - right now he is doing the attributes of God. It's been good so far! He will usually have a plan for the whole series and then prepare his message during the week (having done most of the study before this). He will modify the message as needed - especially if there is someone we don't know is saved there. He always will give a direct Gospel presentation then. But he's not yet jumped to a whole new message.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

While I choose not to attend the "fall open Bible" preachers, I have heard a few speak. Hmmmmm.

8. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Series based with preparation is what I am used to. We are enjoying the "Heroes of the Old Testament" series right now.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Series can be misleading. I preach series that are sometimes expository in nature and other times topic by nature. Not mentioned was use of the lectionary. I use the lectionary at Advent and Easter in particular. Other times as well, ordinary time, usually in between series.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I once attended a church where the Pastor prepared his own sermons. They were awful, unbiblical and embarrassing. Then he found a prepared sermon source and started presenting these canned messages. Much better.

Then there was the Pastor who said Jesus did not really arise from the dead....

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am more of a topical preacher - normally each week is a separate message. Rarely do I have even a two-parter.

And normally, I do not like to repeat message.

However, I did have a friend at BCNY recommend that I take a previous message - take one point out of it and expound on that.

BTW, I am normally a 3 point message. (does that have something to do with C?)

12. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I was called into the ministry about 12 years ago. I've never been led to prepare or write out a sermon beyond just studying and meditating on the Scripture and praying for the Holy Ghost to guide my thoughts and my heart.

Usually, from my experience, the Lord will lay some Scripture on my heart, either through study or through divine revelation (for lack of a better term, I suppose). From there, I try my best to let the Lord lead me to where He would have the message go. And believe me, I've tried to get ahead of God and it always makes a huge mess of things.

I've been on the bench before and have my pastor say, as the choir was singing their last song, that he was turning the service over to me. It sure made it easier to lean upon the Lord. I'm definitely a believer in being "instant in season and out of season."