1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Translation Would You Recommend ....

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ktn4eg, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please make a sincere effort to be readable. What you said is untranslatable.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It you cannot see....your not trying herd anough I'm thinking....:laugh::tongue3:

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NKJV, as it's modern English. The boy can ask Qs about something he may not understand.

I toldja the story about a Korean neighbor who wanted to borrow an English BV from me until his Korean-language copy arrived. Without thinking, I gave him a KJV, & he soon called me, alarmed at "suffer little children". I explained the nutz-n-boltz to him & gave him a NKJV to use.

#23 robycop3, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not exactly correct. It was published in modern times, but its English is a bit more tortured than the ESV (if that's possible.)
    That would be quite often if he's given a NKJV.

I don't think you paid attention to the OP. Let me emphasize some words so you will get the idea. The person in question is a 14 year old boy from Nepal "whose knowledge of English is very elementary at best."

It doesn't say that he merely has a poor command of English. His knowlege of the language is very elementary,at best. That means it might be considered even worse. How, in good conscience, could you recommend the NKJV to someone in that situation? Don't you have any compassion? Or did you make your suggestion "without thinking" again?

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    EW&F, I would like you to decipher the above. All I can decode is that "bobles" means Bibles. Your literacy level is close to his. Give it a whirl.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, guess this where is where the "love for the bethren" gets to show up, eh?

And you were correct, it was bible,,,

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We're waiting with baited breath. What in the world does the above mean?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the comment that some here are Kjvo, others like you prefer the Niv, and some like Van seem to wish that neither the Esv/Niv ever were translated!

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Y1, which Bible translation would you recommend for the 14 year old in the OP?

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A 14 year old can read, and therefore does not need a bible that is biased in its translation in order to get one near his reading level. Thus the NIV, ESV, and NLT are out. He needs to feed on God's word, thus the paraphrases are out.

You might give him (point to on line versions) the opportunity to sample some sound translations (NASB95, NKJV, WEB, NET, HCSB) and see if any flip his switch.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you are slow on the uptake --but common sense should inform you to actually r-e-a-d the OP. The subject in question is a 14 year old boy "whose knowledge of English is very elementary at best (He's a refugee from Nepal)." Got that? Good.

I won't address the rest of your oft-repeated drivel at this point. What's the old saying about pearls...

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NLT second edition

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be quite surprised if the lad could not read with comprehension at a high level. Dictatorial Elitists would choose a biased book, dumbed down and worthless, but I say let the lad choose from between several sound translations.

A 14 year old can read, and therefore does not need a bible that is biased in its translation in order to get one near his reading level. Thus the NIV, ESV, and NLT are out. He needs to feed on God's word, thus the paraphrases are out.

You might give him (point to on line versions) the opportunity to sample some sound translations (NASB95, NKJV, WEB, NET, HCSB) and see if any flip his switch.

#33 Van, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your cognitive abilities are seriously compromised. Can't you understand basic English? His knowledge of English is very elementary at best. That's something I suspect is your ability level.

He's from Nepal. English is not his mother tongue.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you taught English in China? Trust me, to assume he can read the NIV but not the NET is without merit. Rippon, you seem to enjoy posting absurdity after absurdity, but you come off poorly.

BTW, and totally off topic, one of the saddest things I learned, in talking to a family member who just returned from China, where she taught English, was that one little girl asked her if rainbows were real or imaginary. Can you imagine living where the air pollution is so strong, they do not have rainbows after rains? Instead, they talk about how the acid rain has etched the paint off murals. A different world.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have taught and still do.
    R-e-a-d-i-n-g is something you must master Van.

I recommended that the version most suitable for the boy was the NIrV --not the NIV, or even the NLTse.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I said paraphrases are out which would include the readers version of the NIV.

Now if the lad cannot read the NASB, or NET, or HCSB, or WEB or NKJV, then other bibles might be appropriate. But he should definitely sample the best English translations first, before having deeply flawed versions push on him.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you are finally getting it.

In post # 33 you said you'd be surprised "if the lad could not read with comprehension at a high level" That demonstrated you did not read the OP.

In post #35 you mistook the NIrV for the NIV and went on and on about it.

Next time before jumping to your faulty conclusions --r-e-a-d with understanding --especially the OP of a given thread.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rippon the mindreader likes to make statements as if he can read the minds of others. Twaddle

No, that demonstrates he probably needs a bible rewritten for folks younger than 14. But a translation with areading level for a 13 year old, or a 12 year old might be in his wheelhouse.

Again with the mind reading, several posters recommended the NIV.

More ad homenims, from the fount of disinformation.

Bottom line, point the lad to several on line translations, i.e. the NASB95, NET, WEB, NKJV and HCSB and see if any of these sound translations flip his switch. Stay away from paraphrases and Calvinistically biased translations, such as the NLT, NIV and ESV. Trust in the Truth!

#39 Van, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are those 3 "calvinist" versions even the word of God in your opinion then?