1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mexican Judge to Sgt. Tahmooressi: You're out of here!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Nov 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sgt. Tahmooressi has finally been freed from the Tijuana Jail. Thanks to all that prayed and believed this day would come. It's really way over due, and avnother mis-justice righted.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder what statement Obama will make about Sgt Tahmooressi.

From my understanding the Sgt was released at 9 pm last night. IMHO, there should have been a Presidential statement within the hour.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am so happy that he is finally free!

It shows the brutality of the Mexican judicial system that he was detained for such a long period of time.

The American people should boycott Mexico.

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand Obama was playing a night round of golf. He felt the Marine waited over 200 days so what was one more day? :smilewinkgrin: :thumbsup:

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The president made no effort to help get him released. But....

It would not surprise me if his administration tries to take credit for the release.

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Remind me why I, as an American, should be up in arms that this guy was ever in a Mexican prison? He broke the law of their country. He lied about things. He was obviously up to no good and doesn't display proper judgement. If I go to Mexico and break the law I fully expect to be thrown in prison. Is it because this guy was a soldier that we are supposed to take his side all of a sudden? If this was a Mexican coming into our country with illegal guns, we'd all be shouting to throw the book at him!

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-tahmooressi-spin-machine-20140807-column.html#page=1

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um...you're in error. You should try reviewing the case again before you get any more facts wrong.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just wondering - if authorities caught someone crossing the border illegally - and they requested to go back to Mexico - would the border Patrol comply?

BTW, do illegal aliens who break US law have the same treatment that this Sgt received?

9. matt wade

Please explain where I am in error.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What did he lie about?

"Obviously up to no good"? Please provide your evidence.

"Doesn't display good judgment"? Again, please provide your evidence.

#10 Don, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2014
  11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be a tall order for him to do, but will look forward to his comments and evidence! Good rebuttal Don!

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You shouldn't. In fact no one wants you to be. We would rather you just stayed clueless about the whole thing and kept quiet.

#12 Revmitchell, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
  13. matt wade

What did he lie about? He lied about ever being in Mexico prior to the incident. He told the Mexican police he had never been in Mexico before when in fact he had been there earlier in the day and checked in to a hotel.

While checking into the hotel he left his vehicle on the American side in a parking lot with his guns unattended.

Lies, poor judgement, up to no good? There you go.

14. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being in Mexico before: on May 29, he told Greta Van Susteren he had been there earlier in the day. It wasn't until around a week later that the Mexican authorities started reporting this.

Lying about this: Tahmooressi says his lawyer advised him to do so. That lawyer was subsequently fired.

Video introduced into evidence--which Mexican authorities tried to keep from being introduced--supported Tahmooressi's claim of stopping and admitting to border authorities of his wrong turn. The search warrant was from a stack of blanks that had been signed by a Mexican official 3 days prior; and thus, didn't comply with Mexican law regarding search requirements. Mexican magazines had comments from readers such as "why didn't he just pay the bribe like everyone else?"

The hotel? Tahmooressi says he checked out; and the Mexican authorities couldn't provide any hotel key as evidence otherwise.

Lies? Yes; but those have been addressed. Poor judgment? You need to specify where the poor judgment occurred. Up to no good? You've provided no proof of that whatsoever.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who cares?

If Obama can trade 5 known terrorists for one US Army deserter, shouldn't he be able to make the time to at least pick up the phone to get 1 Marine, who served his country honorably, released from a Mexican jail?

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (Was saving that for the final argument for Matt Wade to work on)

17. matt wade

Lies...yes we've proven he is a liar. You have admitted this.

Poor judgement and up to no good? Let's see... Walks across the border and checks into a hotel earlier in the day. While in Mexico he leaves 3 guns and 600 rounds of ammunition unattended in his vehicle in a parking lot. According to you, he checked out of the same hotel before the end of the day. Why would someone book a hotel for only a few hours, and in all places Tijuana? I would call that up to no good and poor judgement.

Let's talk about his supposed PTSD and medical conditions. If a guy that is suffering as bad as he is and is in a poor mental state (as all the news articles say and as his mother says), do you think it is good judgement to drive around with 3 guns and 600 rounds of ammo?

Poor judgement? Let's talk about the escape attempts he made. Instead of going through proper legal procedure he broke Mexican law again by attempting to escape for jail, not once, but twice! One the second incident, he stabbed himself with a broken light bulb.

Yeah, let's talk about up to no good and poor judgement.

Next up is the question of "shouldn't he be able to make the time to at least pick up the phone to get 1 Marine, who served his country honorably, released from a Mexican jail?"

Being in the military doesn't give you a free pass to break the law and act stupid. I'm sick and tired of the military worship in the country. If a guy is veteran he's put on on a pedestal and given a pass for behavior that everyone would not tolerate from "ordinary people". Here's a clue, veterans can act just as idiotic as the next guy and they deserve the consequences just the same too.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matt,
    Since you are an expert on military personnel, esp those who have served combat, Please inform us of your military experience.

19. matt wade

This is exactly the kind of treatment and the pedestal I was talking about. My military service has no bearing on this conversation. Whether or not I've served in the military does not just exclude me from commenting on this situation.

Do you believe the people that have served in the military should get special treatment when they break the law?

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not what I admitted at all. Don't put words in my mouth. I agreed that he followed his lawyer's advice and lied about being in Mexico previously. Fine line difference, but a difference.

See, right now, I'm following your example and just posting things; the difference, however, is that it's not "according to me." Everything I've posted is supportable by short, less-than-five-minute internet searches. In multiple sources, his original intent was to stay overnight; thus, why he checked into a hotel. But he then claims after walking around and deciding the area didn't have anything worth staying around for, and that the hotel was not very nice, he changed his mind and checked out.

Why were his weapons in his vehicle? Because he was visiting the area to get treatment for his PTSD, and everything he owned was in his vehicle.

"Poor judgment and up to no good"? You still haven't posted anything to support your conjecture; and everything you've conjectured has been easily countered with simple internet searches.

Again, he had everything he owned in the vehicle, because he was basically living out of the vehicle at the time.

As for his PTSD -- from October 2007 until March 2010, I was either in training for deployment, or in Iraq or Afghanistan. It's been 4 1/2 years since I returned home; I still can't sit in a room without being able to see the door. You don't understand PTSD, and there's just no way to explain it to you.

Yep; never been in a Mexican jail, have you?

I had a missionary friend who made almost the same mistake Tahmooressi did: Jerry had a shotgun under the back seat of his truck that he forgot was under there. He spent a year in prison for that. For the first six months, he slept on the concrete floor with 40 other men. Got beaten by the guards if he didn't do what they told him. Last six months were better; he was moved to a location where he at least had a bed. He ended up getting some weird infection in his neck that the mexican prison doctors wouldn't see him about. He died from it within two years of finally being released and returned to the States.

Because I personally knew Jerry; and I understand PTSD; I understand wanting to escape.

Yeah, let's do -- with something more than conjecture and vivid imagination.

Yep, agreed. Except that you haven't proven that Tahmooressi did anything other than make a mistake. Before you persist in calling it idiotic, please verify that you've never made a wrong turn.

#20 Don, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.