1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Republicans fire 2016 starting gun at Christian college that teaches world is 6,000 y

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are people who will agree with him theologically. There are many more who will believe this makes him look uninformed. It may be good theology, but it is bad politics. Bad choice of venue to announce and gives opponents ammunition to use against Cruz.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I kinda like it. Gives him credence with me that he might have a little conviction about him.:applause:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Good for him!

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that evolution will be a good issue for Hillary? Do you mean as in the statement that Hillary's advocacy of gay marriage and private e-mail has evolved? Do you believe Darwin 100%?

5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So basically you are saying that someone should compromise their theology for politics?

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. It is not a compromise to announce in a different, more political favorable setting. Nor is it a compromise to not announce in a venue where the subject will come up that will make you look, at best, out of touch with what a majority of voters believe.

7. matt wade

I disagree. I think it is absolutely a compromise if you announce in a particular venue specifically to avoid political ramifications. If someone is specifically deciding on where to announce based on how they want someone to perceive their theology, that's a compromise.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My only advice is don't run for office. [Very gently said.]

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In other words, it's really making sure you're popular with the voters, rather than letting them know you have standards and convictions.

Wait, you said it wasn't about compromise....

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were running would you want to be elected? Selecting a good political venue is not compromising.

12. matt wade

To continue down your vein of thought, as long as it is politically expedient, then go for it, right? You want to win, right?

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't that what politicians do. Look at the GOP's friend in Israel and how he used fear to help win the election. Now he is saying he was misunderstood. Please give me a break on that one.

14. matt wade

I agree that is what most politicians (on the right, on the left, in the tea party, in the green party) do. I'm tired of it. I refuse to vote for any "typical politicians" any longer. If I see things that make me believe a candidate is disingenuous, tailors their views to the audience, or other typical political behavior, I won't vote for them.

Yes, this means I don't have many people to vote for.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If YOU were running, would you do whatever it takes to get elected--especially if it meant disregarding your Christian values? And don't cop out on us and say "that's why I'm not running"; tell us the honest truth. If everyone around you said "we want CTB to be in office to represent us, and turn this country around," would you do whatever it takes to make that happen?

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I would not compromise on my Christian values.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you would get the votes of all those that know you, and wanted you to run BECAUSE of those values.

So why are you detracting from Cruz for doing what you yourself would do? (I realize you're trying to say it's not a very strong starting point with voters; but I think you misunderstand, and therefore underestimate, the majority of red state and conservative voters....)

By the way: I don't support Cruz yet. I don't really know enough about him. How about someone start a thread on that, so we can discuss whether he's actually a viable candidate and what he stands for, rather than silliness?

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about much of the evangelical voters in 2012.

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberty students had to be there. Liberty University, not living up to their name one election at a time. New slogan suggestion.

20. matt wade

As a student, I would have not been there simply because of this.