1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Awarding a Varsity Letter

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems unusually petty over such a trivial thing.

3. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Usually you have to earn a letter like that.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For whom is it petty

This is a big problem in our culture. We don't want anyone to think they are not good enough.
    Obviously, I do not have any mental disabilities; I tried for both Varsity and JV Sports - however, I have NEVER made a team nor did I receive a Letter (and I had promised my older brother I would). So why can't I be allowed to wear a Varsity letter?
    If you read some of the comments in the article - some talked about how you may not wear a military uniform unless you have joined the military. And if you wear certain items, it is actually illegal. Excellent analogy.

IMHO - a seperate award could be made, which would not be confused with the Varsity Letter.

#4 Salty, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Taking a letter away from a kid with down syndrome is pretty ridiculous. Salty, you are the kind of guy that would hand out speeding tickets for people gong 56 in a 55. What kind of person calls the school and complains about a kid with down syndrome wearing a varsity letter? I guess all those stories of high schools and colleges putting a special needs equipment manager on the court for a few plays in a meaningless game to let him experience the thrill of playing for a little while is just contributing to the "everyone is a winner" problem in our country. The whole "stolen valor" with the military analogy is pretty ridiculous considering we are talking about a special needs kid who does actually play basketball wearing a varsity letter.

The whole "everyone is a winner" thing which you think is a big problem in our culture is really baseless as well unless you can point me to some legit evidence that our competitive culture has suffered.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Just wicked behavior. Leave that child alone and let him wear that letter on his jacket.

What is wrong with people?[​IMG]

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel like any person with a functioning brain would know what the situation is when they saw it. In what world would anyone mistake him for the starting quarterback or other sports star. My coaches in high school would have embraced this kid and found a way to include him and not accused him of "stolen valor."

#7 Use of Time, Mar 28, 2015
  8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think anyone with an ounce of humanity in them would have done the same. But it seems like we'd much rather teach our kids to just be nasty and mean-spirited.

They need to pull a Rudy and all of the letter winners go lay their jackets on the Principal's desk.

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody ever wore letter jackets in my school.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you all would have no problem with me wearing a Varsity Letter, even though I was never good enough to make the team, let alone be a starter?

11. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as you also take on the burden of being mentally challenged for the rest of your life.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's as though some folks are so by the book that the forget the compassion of the One who authored THE BOOK.

The child is mentally challenged. And like UoT said, anybody with a functioning brain would have understood what the situation was when they saw it.

This is just more of folks being so political that they forget they claim to follow Christ.

They need to leave that child alone and let him wear that letter all he wants!

13. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody dies playing high school basketball. There are no heroes on a basketball court. There is no rational comparison between a military uniform and a varsity letter. The analogy fails. Period.

Now a word about varsity letters. Who gives a rip. At the risk of sounding harsh anyone who thinks they can make it through life on the strength of their varsity letter is in for a rude awakening. Ten minutes after you get a diploma the letter becomes fodder for a drawer somewhere. Johnnie Jumpshot scored 1000 points playing basketball for his old high school. Good for you Johnnie Jumpshot. Now go get an education and a job. I just hope Johnnie's mother doesn't get involved if he doesn't get hired for a job at McDonald's

Now a word about the young man wearing a varsity letter. I don't know him, his situation or his functioning level. There is a good chance that playing a little b-ball is his equivalent of making it to the NBA. Shoot, when I worked with DDs we got a cake for a young lady who learned how to write her name. It took her 30 years but she learned how. Now, that is an achievement that will make a difference 10 years down the road. Give the kid a letter. He played some ball and deserves to be recognized according to his ability.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I am physically challenged - was never good enough. Explain why I would have to be mentally retarded to have the award given to me.

I would like to point out that I do not envy those who have won a Varsity Letter. In fact I respect those who have EARNED one.

Now, let me tell you what I did as a coach.
    I had a T-Ball team - ages 6-9. At the end of the season, I pass out awards to EVERY player. Now, if each of those were a "Most Valuable Player" then the award would be meaningless.
    In addition to the MVP, I also had awards, such as Most improved player, and the like.
    Bottom line- each player received an award, based on HIS strengths. I had one player - that the only award I could give - was Best team sprit. He had no athletic ability, but he was at every game - rooting for the team ( and yes, he did play in every game, though his on field time was limited)

My analogy of the military has nothing to do with putting your life at risk. It amounts EARNING something for an accomplishment.

I have read all the statements given by others - and now my stand is even stronger. The Letter is important to many - could be some don't care - and so be it. But do NOT cheapen the award by just giving it away.

As I mentioned before, come up with an alternative "letter" for the boy to wear. What is WRONG with that compromise?

15. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Based on the new evidence from your most recent post, I believe that you are absolutely qualified to receive a varsity letter Salty.

16. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief. You'd think this kid was given the medal of honor.

Salty, not making a sports team doesn't make you physically challenged. People that are actually physically challenged would probably be offended by that. It means a coach decided to go with someone else instead of you based off of your skill set. You walking around with a letter after not making a sports team would make you a poser. Some people might have called you on it and others would probably have not given it a second thought. Your situation is in no way comparable. This kid was actually playing basketball. The school could have said that his letter is valid because he is still representing their athletic program in a positive light. Like the special olympics. I don't think he needs some sort of marking on his letter that says "hey this kid is pretty good for a guy with down syndrome." Everyone already knows he has mental issues. I don't want to see something that makes him feel worse.

#16 Use of Time, Mar 28, 2015
  17. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I know. I don't get it.

18. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a fantastic take on it. I don't know if it is a generational thing or not but nobody really wore letters in my school. I was given one for baseball and football but they went straight into a photo album my mom maintained. I graduated high school in 2000 so I don't know if letterman jackets are making a comeback or not. My baseball coaches autistic son received one and he even got to stand in at second base during senior night. (after the game was well in hand) Anybody that would want to take away that particular joy really makes me question their humanity. Words can't even describe how happy that kid was. It makes me smile just thinking about it.

#18 Use of Time, Mar 28, 2015
  19. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

I have one left from all the letters I earned, I think. Should be in a box in the basement, if it's not moldy. The rest went to the landfill years ago. I can send it to you if you want me to. It was for football and baseball. Sweet looking black, red, and white coloring. Gold bars for the years and awards I earned. They mean jack and squat and anyone concerned over a mentally challenged kid wearing a letter on their jacket is living proof of the stupidity of man and the inability of the average Christian to understand what is important on this planet.

Are the kids parents going to heaven or hell? Siblings? Grandparents? Bah, who cares, let's worry about the kid wearing a piece of cloth he "didn't earn."

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that no one has commented on what I did for my team back in post # 14