1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dental insurance

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK..... The "Affordable Healthcare" errrrr Initiative (money grab) has finally dug deep into my pocket & is now forcing me to pay "Far More for Far Less."

This has become a major imposition but well, allot of folks are suffering so
    I don't want to gripe about it (too much).

My question is however, "What are you doing for Dental" and then what are you doing for other health issues like Vision. My brandy new Healthcare program just wiped it out so I need to seek other providers...or is that the best way of approaching it? Please advise & thanks. :love2:

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to make dental and medical visits to countries like China, India and the Philippines. That is, if the procedures and price tags are rather significant in The States. If you do your research there are some good providers in those countries and probably other nations too. The airfare would cost more than the procedures.

People are lining up at especially designed medical facilities/hospitals for things like heart surgery. If something will cost $100,000.00 in America with no insurance support it's going to cost around the equivalent of $5,000 in India. That's a ballpark guesstimate.

I have dental issues. There is a very good clinic in Shanghai. I had a lot done there including several root canals. But after many medical issues this past year I couldn't afford the expense of a permanent bridge there. (It would cost $1,250 --not much in America, but my wages are only slightly above Chinese in this area) I am on my second temporary. It has been very uncomfortable. Tomorrow I will be getting a prep for a permanent bridge. It will cost around $400.00. Everything is included in that price.

The office here is not as impressive or as sophisticated as that in Shanghai, but much more affordable. Downside:The x-ray tech looks like George Raft.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

You get what you pay for. Heart surgery for $5,000 in India? Their economy is not that far behind the U.S., yet they charge a twentieth of U.S. costs for heart surgery? And it's probably invasive at that, cracking your rib cage, prying it apart -- that's utter nonsense when there are hospitals in the U.S. doing "RotoRooter" surgery of the heart arteries much like they do angioplasties and angiograms. And that procedure is not only non-invasive, it's less expensive, too.

Don't go looking outside the U.S. for medical care. You can't find it safer or better anywhere. Sure it's expensive, but like I said with that first sentence above ...

For Dental, contact Delta Dental in your state. They've got individual plans and they are probably the best dental coverage insurance company in the country.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too late....already had the bypass. Funny though, i still had to get some angioplasty RotoRooter stuff done a year later. The doctor who did it indicated he could have done it all via stints. Thats not funny doc was my response.:BangHead:

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I work with a Cardiology practice performing stress tests.
    The United States is performing less than 10% of the open-heart bypass surgeries that it did 20 years ago.

Hospitals have protocols that put those with chest pain at the top of the list for care and starts a clock for treatment so that major damage to the heart is reduced.
    Stress testing has allowed us to identify patients at high risk of cardiac events and preemptively fix the stenosis before a heart attack.

Fixing hearts is a numbers game; it's worked by possibilities and percentages.
    Sure, your doctor may have been able to fix your heart blockages with stents but the smaller the vessel, the more likely the narrowing would return.
    Who knows, you may have been visiting him every year or two for another angioplasty until eventually a decision would by made to perform bypass.

Re: dental insurance – my wife is a hygienist. Most insurances pay the dentist so small an amount that those that accept it are not the ones you want to see!

If you can find a dentist that will allow you to pay for your care and accept insurance, that would be better.
    Most routine visits are covered or at minimal charge.
    Crowns, root canals, root plaining would still be costly but not as much. as without insurance.

Better choice: regular tooth brushing and flossing generally keeps the major costs down. :saint:

Rob

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha ha ha...Ohhhhhhh...lol:laugh:

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you find good dental insurance? I will have the same issue in about 2 weeks...keeping Delta Dental for retired military is about 110/month but the coverage seems good. I just don't know if it is worth it.

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope....its very disconcerting.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know some back yard dentists who will clean and pluck your teeth.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bet you do....probably play the banjo also down by the river.

Slivovitz is the answer!

#10 Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  11. Amy13

Amy13 New Member

You can get a plan with Delta Dental for 30-50 bucks a month depending on the level of coverage you'd like. 6 month waiting period on covering cleanings, year waiting period on major work.