1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Atonement

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Rippon, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: I like that...I have never heard that hymn before.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a classic. I have sung it for years --20 or so. I have it memorized.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! Great Hymn! :godisgood:God is first in all things.........

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God in His sovereignty does ALL the saving, people do not save themselves. For those capable of making a decision, God has given a freewill, God is sovereign, He is allowed to do this, this does not make God inept. Calvinist would take God's sovereignty away at this point, not allowing God to implement any such responsibility upon His creation. They would say 'God, you are not allowed to give anyone a choice through freewill, we will not have it'.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really take all the words of that hymn to heart Steaver? Do you agree that you did not choose God? Do you believe that the Lord ordained all those in Him from of old -- i.e. from before the foundation of the world.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say God foresaw individuals, I said according to Calvinism, He chose foreseen individuals, i.e. before creation. Strike one.

Here we have the usual denial of Calvinism by a Calvinist.

Here is the published position of Calvinism:
    Thus the reconciliation (the removal of their guilt) does not, repeat does not occur when they believe, according to Calvinism, but 1900 years ago when Christ died for their sins. Strike two.

Here we have the false premise that Christ dying for all men, becoming the propitiation or means of salvation for all men, actually saves all men. But only Calvinists make this false charge. In order to be saved, a person must "receive" the reconciliation. When God transfers a person spiritually into Christ, they undergo the circumcision of Christ and their sin burden is removed. So when Christ died for all men, He provided the means of salvation for all men, but not all men receive the reconciliation provided by Christ's death.

Strike three.

Once again a Calvinist has offered a defense using false premises.

#26 Van, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The disagreement is not in 'did God choose?'. The issue is 'why did God choose in His foreknowledge?'.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Answer: It pleased Him to do so. It is to the praise of His glorious grace that He has done so.

9. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! Do you believe that it is impossible for God to know the decisions a person will make before they ever find themselves in a decision making place or make them?

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't help but to read this as saying God commands the non-elect to believe a lie, and they are guilty for not believing it.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think it is that God commands all to repent, but that only those He will saved will be enabled to do that, as all others remain willingly in their sin states...

None who are found to be remaing in their sins and still gulity will be saying to God I had no chose, as they kept deciding the wrong way!

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The world is condemned for it's rejection of the Light. It was, ultimately, a choice where we all choose the wrong option, but God draws a people out of us idiots. But the basis of that "choice" was real.

#32 JonC, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read and reread Dagg's quote and cannot come up with any such interpretation. Please tell me your reasons for saying the above.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JonC seems to be listening too much to the protests of Skan of it not being fair that God already judged all guilty in Adam, as if we have no reason to even try to be accountible to God!

As if iy was a rigged deal from the start...

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

;-). Funny. Not at all true, but funny - I gave you my reason and opened it up for your explanation. Your response was silence on the issue ... While you and I probably agree more in our views, at least Skan engages the topic. You just muddy the waters with questions you never engage, offering false assertions rather than answers.

I have not kept up, BTW, with Skan. I do not agree with him, which is fine. I understand what he is saying because I took the time to listen to his argument. Although we disagree, I can respect Skan for honestly expressing and holding his view. Unfortunately, at this time I cannot say the same of you. Don't assume, if you want to know if I believe in "original sin" or whether we are not we are already judged guilty "under Adam" then just ask. My answer is yes, I do believe this. But we are not condemned for our sins, but our Sin. Again, how do you interpret John 3 in regards to the world being condemned (we may disagree, but at least you can provide a basis for your understanding and not rely on Rippon to make your argument)?

Stop playing Robin to Rippon's Batman and let's talk.

#35 JonC, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us born after the Fall have been born into the likness of his image, Adam, and the same judgement God pronounced on him also got imputed to all of us...

So God, problem with while someone might be able to say, wrongly, that someone other than jesus just might be able to keep the law well enough to merit salvation and right standing before the Lord, that still hasn't dealt with the judgement God pronounced upon all of us now found by Him to be in Adam...

So God finds all guilty of breaking His law by being in Adam,and by choosing to commit sin...

That is why must be placed into Christ, as then we have imputed to us the rightousness that none of us would have based upon our own efforts and merits!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Are we made in the image of Adam or God?

What do you mean that we are “imputed” righteousness?

If you will clarify those two issues I would appreciate it. Other than that, I think we are in agreement (although I am not sure what it has to do with this thread).

#37 JonC, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
  18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I'll answer this for him...

We are made in the image of Adam...see Seth in Gen. 5:3...Adam was in the image of God, and we're made in Adam's image..

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, Convicted1. Sometimes we seem in agreement, but something behind our understanding something seems off. Often, I believe, our differences involve issues that we never bother asking. This is one difference, I suppose, in my understanding and the contemporary Reformed church.

I interpret Genesis 5 as giving an account of the descendants of Adam (God created Adam, Seth descended from Adam, etc) rather than indicating that men after Adam do not bear the image of God. I don’t see the disobedience of the Fall destroying God’s image. My view is that image of God continues with each line. We are still made in the image of God. So although we both agree with “Total Depravity” and “original sin,” there may be a bit of distinct difference in our views. I appreciate your reply because I would have taken for granted that adherents to TULIP held we are made in God's image.

I am trying to understand Yesuah1's post...and how it relates as a response to mine. While I have also believe in the depravity of men, man's sin nature, etc., I thought by his reply that he was linking this somehow to my question (that he was actually answering the question I asked and he quoted).

Yesuah1 - What is, then, the “Calvinistic” answer to Genesis 9:6 (the prohibition of murder based on man being made in the image of God…if indeed men are no longer made in the image of God)?

#39 JonC, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2014
  20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For one to follow this line of logic, one would have to carry it through with each individual ever made, thus, one could not say we are all made in the image of Adam either. I would have to be seen as made in the image of my earthly father William, then to argue 'yes, but we all go back to the image of Adam' would then logically have to follow that we all go back to the image of God.

I don't know if someone led you to believe such a pov was part of believing TULIP or if you came to this on your own, either way, I find it a wrong conclusion. I suppose it would not hurt anything to say we are made in the image of Adam or William in my case, depends on the context of the conversation, but this is a half truth so to speak, we are all ultimately made in the image of God. Genesis 5 does not nullify Genesis 1. Both are true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.