1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sunday School Lessons?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by racer84, Dec 25, 2006.

1. racer84

racer84 New Member

Would there be any interest out there for SS lessons, KJV, Many references, written by Dr. Roy Julian, a TTU (the old TTU), IFB pastor. Dr. Julian pastored Smyrna Baptist Church www.smyrnabaptist.org for 34 years before his Home-going in October 2006. I have been thinking that we may have 20 years of lessons stored, ready to place either in a loose leaf book, so the church could make copies, or maybe set up to download. They are set up in "series", such as the one we are starting for 2007, which will be a complete study of the Book of John.

The cover has a place for the Church name, date, a cartoon or puzzle and the church using it would customize it. Inside left page there is a "golden text", then some notes to teachers, the Aim of the Lesson, a list of other scriptures, a brief illustration or sidebar, then on the inside right page - the outline of the lesson with some notes and scripture references. The back cover has a quiz on the lesson...simple for anyone quiz, and a scripture reference for the next week. They are designed to print front and back on a 8x10 sheet (we usually used colored paper - different colors for each week -helped keep them seperate for the SS office and teachers). We gave these out a week ahead to the SS teachers, then the Pastor or SS leader went over the lesson in the Wed PM SS teachers meeting, kinda taught the lesson briefly. Then at SS the students would get a copy to follow along and keep.

We are reworking the church website, and have added one lesson as a sample, in pdf format.(http://www.smyrnabaptist.org/sundayschool.htm) The pdf file should be 2 pages, when printed on one sheet, front and back, it will fold, with the lesson on the inside. The front cover could be customized, the rear cover has the quiz.

Please access it here and let me know if there is any interest in the project. Smyrna is just starting on the lessons for 2007, which will almost a full year study through the book of John.

If these were compiled and offered on a CD for 1 year of lessons...what would be a fair value, with proceeds going back into the Lord's work.
    Comments, suggestions, and questions would be appreciated.

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I suppose you would get a fair amount of interest from they who will not put the time into their own study.

This is why I personally do not like "quarterlies" and such like things. It is far too easy for the SS teacher to become lazy and not put the effort, prayer and study to present a lesson which God has given them to give to their class.

No offence intended brother.

3. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

While some people don't like this because of what av1611 said others like it simply because it allows them to be more structured. Our Sunday School teachers are about half and half on their curriculum preparations. I and a few others like to do our own lessons but the other half like to use lesson books or guides to help them bring the lessons down to the grade level they are teaching. They always add their own meat to the skeletons laid out which is most important.

Racer...I know one lady that teaches one of our Sunday School classes (the 4th, 5th, 6th grade class) that loves to use lesson books kind of like what was on your example lesson. The ones she uses aren't as detailed. Hers simply give ideas on the lesson so she can write her own lesson but it has quizzes and activities already made up so she can use.

What grade/age levels are the lessons that your church has? I know that it varies by where you can purchase lesson books but I have seen some books range from $20 to well over $60 based on what is contained and if it is just a few months worth or a whole year.

Our church is always looking for good KJV material that we can use. It's so hard to find now.

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Can I ask if you use commentaries or other such tools of the lazy and cold hearted?

I'll not go into all the pros and cons as this would distract from the OP. It just irked me a little to see the above post. I know you meant no offence, but it seems illogical.

Racer, it seems like a good idea. I'm going to have a look now.

5. racer84

racer84 New Member

Thanks for all the comments so far. The lessons were originally designed for the entire SS department. They were taught basically from the first grade through the Pastors adult class. Since the lesson is an outline, it could be taught and studied as deep as the teacher wanted to go. Pastor Julian never required the lessons, but felt it did keep the children and the adults on the same page for home discussion, hopefully.

The shear number of scriptures provided, and the outline is a starting point. It isn't designed to just be read to the students.

By the way Jim, do you ever use blueprints when you do carpenter work?

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I gotta agree jim, your post is like us criticizing each other for listening to preachers instead of sitting at home and making up our own sermons..........

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Who put the work and prayer into these lessons?

Nuff said.

To the brother @ Smyrna: Go for it brother. I am not about to say you ought not sell these things nor should others not use them. I was speaking about my PERSONAL opinion of them. K?

Perhaps I stepped on a couple toes when I included my opinion of they who use them, but there ya'go, huh?

That's what happens when you put something out there for folks to comment on, sometimes there will be someone who disagrees with the idea. No harm.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While I tend to agree with some of this, at least in part, I would suggest that for one to ignore the contributions of individuals such as the late Dr. H. C. Chiles, who wrote commentary on SS lessons for some 39 years for the KY Baptists, in "The Western Recorder", with almost 4000 lessons, and when he became ill just before his homegoing, remarked that he wished he could have reached the 4000 figure (He actually hit 3970-80, I believe.) with up to three per week for that time, and several times, drove all night from Western KY to Louisville to get them in on time, when not able to mail them timely, and that before any interstates, and was actually late exactly one time during that period, limited by a two foot snowfall which covered the state; or the late Drs. Wilbur M. Smith and Everett F. Harrison of Fuller fame, who were the General editor for Pelobet's Select notes on the International SS Lesson series for 35 years, and wrote SS lessons for the American Sunday School Union for 25 years, respectively, is a bit shortsighted, at best.
    Personally, I was privy to read Dr. Chiles lessons in "The Western Recorder" for many years, and believe I learned a thing or two from this reading.

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not necessarily sure about the KJV bit, but one can find several good SS lessons, lesson plans, outlines, etc., both in print, and probably on the internet, as well, although I have not checked the last. I know the SBC has up to three resources per each of its three SS lesson curricula. I guess if one wants to be lazy :sleep: :sleeping_2: and merely quote or read from these, as some of my (former) teachers have done, it is not the fault of the SBC SS Board, which has never intended nor recommended :rolleyes: merely reading a lesson, to my knowledge.

Ed

10. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

(highlighted section is my doing.)

this illustrates my point quite effectively thank you.

While I do not "ignore" such contributions of these fine men, neither do I endorse them. I just believe a person who is in a leadership position such as SS Teacher ought to act the part of leadership and do the work themselves to present a lesson which God has given them, not present what they have copied from some other man's work.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

It was asked of me if I use blueprints when doing carpentery work.

Carpentry is NOT the same as doing the work of the ministry. Carpentry work is going to be burned up someday. I would hope the work of my minstry will not be. Two very different planes. Nice try; but no Kupie doll.

It was asked of me if I use commentaries. Yes. About 6 times in all my years of preaching. And about a grand total of maybe 20 times in 26 years of my christian life. Did I use the commentaries to present a lesson? No. I use my bible, prayer, and trusting the Holy Spirit to guide me into what He would have me preach.

And the point of the question is what???? To try and show how I am a ___________ for using what I have said shouldn't be used? Nice try; but no Kupie doll for you.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't recall saying anything about 'copying'.
    Guess I must reread my posts.
    But it would be a privilege, no doubt, for to hear one with such great insight, that has only used a commentary some 6 times over the years. :rolleyes:

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"It's 'Kewpie' doll, there, folks!"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kewpie_doll_(toy)

Signed- Language Cop

Thanks, L.C.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Dec 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  14. mnw

mnw New Member

Ephesians 4 speaks about the offices of pastor and evangelist being given to the church. God gave them to the church,

"For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:"

These offices were given to build up the church and to edify one another. THey were given to teach and demonstrate to the church how to serve in order that ALL would serve.

What's the difference between sitting under a man's preaching and applying it your life and reading a man's teachings and applying in your personal life and ministry?

I met a guy last year with the same opinion as yours and it just does not make sense. By your reasoning even your own preaching is redundent because people should be taught of the Bible and Holy Spirit, not you.

Sorry, it just does not make any sense to me.

Now, as for the _____________ word I would say this. If you apply the teachings of any man then are you not a _____________ for accepting that and not being taught of the Holy Spirit and the Word directly?

I'm not trying to be ugly, I just don't see the logic or Scriptural principles.

15. racer84

racer84 New Member

As to who put the work and prayer in the lessons...I would say much of the work was done by Pastor Julian - and he did some cut-and-paste the old fashioned way - but then it is up to the teacher to glean from it what the Lord would have them give the class, to study, pray over the lesson, and pray for each student, that they would receive what the Lord has provided. I think the point is - the lessons are a starting point - and if a Pastor felt that they were useful and would fit the plan laid on his heart by the Holy Spirit, then OK.

The point of the carpenter comment was that there is a PLAN, a GOAL! Even the laborer needs to know the plan, or maybe he will be getting the wrong material off the truck. The laborer in inexperienced...he needs instruction from the foreman(or SS leader, or Pastor) , who gets his instruction from the Master Carpenter(The Word - see John 1:1)

Thanks for the opinions - all of them - it makes things happen.

Anyway, we are kinda in the early stages of the project. Next step will be to get one of the shorter series online.