1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vacation Bible School

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, May 8, 2015.

?
  1. Yes - with less than 100 children

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Yes - with children 100 - 199

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes - with children 200 - 499

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes - with children 500+

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No - but we do something else (please share)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No - nothing

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's the most wonderful time of the year - Vacation Bible School. It has come a long way from the flannel graph stories back in the 1960's. Does your church have a VBS? If so, how many children attend? Do you use "packaged" material bought from a vendor or do you create your own material?

If you don't have VBS, do you do something in its place -- for example, Neighborhood Bible Clubs?

Just wondering what other churches do?

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

We typical have about 70 or so, but sometimes over 100. My church used to purchase pre-packaged material, but over the last few years the person elected to put together the VBS have devised a lesson plan that is then reviewed by the Pastor and the Elders & Deacons.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We have three campuses and two of them have VBS. Our main campus ministers to 450 kids, 250 workers and about 150 parents (parents are welcome to stay for the opening program and then have a cup of coffee and a snack. We have also offered classes for them some years on parenting and stuff.

The campus I attend has a smaller VBC (we call it a camp and not school) and we have had about 20 kids although this year we hope to get that number up a bit because we are in a real location now rather than having to rent out the community center. We also have another church that we are partnering with so we hope we will have at least 35 this year.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The church I currently attend does not have Bible School.

* Not big enough Leased space during the week to host a bible school.

* While I love Bible school, I think the community we are housed in could stand to do something a bit different in a different way and be some more effective.

5. Br. Dan

Br. Dan Member

Our current church has VBS, but at a previous work I lead the church to have neighborhood Bible clubs instead of VBS. Whichever works best for that church. We've used kits and done our own.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We use the material from Group, but normally the opening material/skit is re-written. We normally have 500+ children every year -- plus another 300 volunteers. It kills me that we have to cut off enrollment due to space requirements, but we just don't have the room for any more.

VBS normally supports a certain mission organization during the week, with children bringing their offerings daily - which really adds up by the end of the week. On Friday night, parents return with their children to review what they learned that week. Overall, it's a great week.

Here's a short video of last year's VBS -- https://vimeo.com/122573220.