1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do Your Women Dress To Church?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Hark, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The internet at christian forums as the Lord enables me since He is the actual One that ministers.

2. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering if you were joking but I could not take that risk the way the churches have been going in running as the world runs.

But thanks for letting me know that you were joking. Whew...

3. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, it is good when the welcome is genuine, but then again, looking at every believer and treating the as you would treat Christ is a good thing to do too by His grace & by His help.

If we need His help to love our enemies, surely we can ask for help to love strangers too.

Hebrews 13:1Let brotherly love continue. 2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

4. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting. So when someone is ill, how do you practically help them? Notice I said "PRACTICALLY". How about someone suddenly has a leak in their roof and they need help? Or let's go easy and someone is in a really bad place financially due to no fault of their own. How do you help them?

I can tell you some practical ways I've seen a real church work in the last month:

* hospital visitations
    * very late night home visitations when a child was injured
    * going out for a cup of coffee with someone who is overwhelmed as they are losing their dad
    * fixing a leaking roof
    * helping a single mom pay for new winter coats for her kids
    * working together at a ministry that feeds the needy and homeless
    * doing a food drive before the above time with the ministry to try to provide additional food stuffs for those in need
    * cleaning the home of someone who suddenly had foot surgery
    * working together on the home of an elderly woman (who does not attend the church but a member found out that she had no one to help her) to repair her home to make it safe and secure for winter
    * sending off a home-grown missionary to Africa to work with the deaf there and around the world
    * counseling a new mom through breastfeeding issues and the depression that comes from being a new mom
    * individually discipling men and women in their walk with the Lord and in some cases, through addictions

This is all ministry within a very tiny church. This is where people actually see people and actually can minister to them. Where they get to know each other, can see where there are struggles, see where there are times to encourage and celebrate. I'm sorry but the ministry over the internet is limited and there is nothing in Scripture that really says that would indicate that it would be a true ministry.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Additionally, I find it interesting that you are speaking of how women dress to go to church - when you don't even attend one. I'd rather a woman show up in church in a bikini than have someone feel that they are too good to enter the building. At least one has a chance.

7. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when you get to Heaven, ask Jesus why I could not go to any church, and He will reveal to you why I cannot have a relationship nor a job nor even reach out to help any one because of the power my persecutors have over my life. You will not believe it now, so you will have to wait then to see it.

8. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeking the good of the church as the Lord ministers to each posters here that goes to church that may lead them to bring the "talent" to their church to prune so that the fruitful church may bear more fruit is His work in me.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So it is not that all churches are apostate but that you are persecuted for going to church in your town in Pennsylvania?

10. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the persecution started before the awareness of apostasy in the churches, which eventually, I had to withdraw by His grace & by His help, and I am thanking te Father in Jesus's name for carrying me through it all.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Standard fair for me is skirt and blouse....sleeved blouse and buttoned to 2 fingers below cricoid cartilage, stockings and shoes. Hair covered by mantilla or hat. This is down to the wee ones although it is not mandatory. The men and boys wear trousers, shirt and mostly tie and jacket, socks and shoes.

It is coming up to Advent and into the warmer weather, there is ALWAYS a sermon on modest dress, usually aimed at the younger members. Branded t shirts are never acceptable, nor shorts, or thongs.

Workwear is okay.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just a cultural note. The sandals that have just the thin straps that goes from the outside of the foot on either side and meet in between the big toe are called flip-flops here in the states. At one time they were called thongs but that use fell by the wayside and now a thong is a pair of underpants that do not cover the butt cheeks but instead go between them. Flip flops are allowed in our church. Thongs that we can see are not. ;)

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Ann, I think the world would end as I know it if the American thong was seen in church. All those things that are not desirable would not mean one would be not permitted into church if a visitor.

As there are many cultures here, people do and wear national dress, such as some islanders who wear floral shirts and sarongs with thongs/ flip flops or sandals. Some of the Indian ladies wear brilliantly coloured sari and/ or tunic and trousers. Some of the congregation wear work branded t shirts as they work on Sunday's ( work opportunities are very limited)

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From the church's web site... there is a page for those who are new to the church -- referring to the various services, where to park, children ministries, etc. There's also a tab regarding dress --

Q. Is there a dress code?
    A. Feel free to dress comfortably, whatever that is for you. Some would wear a suit, others jeans and a t-shirt. Come as you are!

That pretty much sums it up. And personally, I don't know of a single issue regarding this.