1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Good Old Baptist Quotes

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by DocTrinsoGrace, Oct 25, 2013.

1. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

"Brethren, we must preach the doctrines; we must emphasize the doctrines; we must go back to the doctrines. I fear that the new generation does not know the doctrines as our fathers knew them." --John A. Broadus (1827-1895) (One of the founders of Southern Seminary.)

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

For the simple act of being re-baptized as an adult believer, Obadiah Holmes was publicly whipped by the Puritan government of Massachusetts. He received the same number of lashes as those guilty of adultery, rape, and counterfeiting.

'I told them moreover, that the Lord having manifested his love towards me, in giving me repentance towards God, and faith in Christ, and so to be baptized in water by a messenger of Jesus, in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, wherein I have fellowship with him in his death, burial, and resurrection, I am now come to be baptized in affliction by your hands, that so I may have further fellowship with my Lord, and am not ashamed of his sufferings, for by his stripes I am healed.'

~Obadiah Holmes, 1651

(apologize for this being here and not in Calvinism forum :) but it is a great historical quotation)

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read this being attributed to a couple of different men:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. DocTrinsoGrace

7. DocTrinsoGrace

God Setting Sinners Free

"Often, when I come in at the door and my eyes fall on this vast congregation, I feel a tremor go through me to think that I should have to speak to you all and be, in some measure, accountable for your future state. Unless I preach the Gospel faithfully and with all my heart, your blood will be required at my hands. Do not wonder, therefore, that when I am weak and sick, I feel my head swim when I stand up to speak to you, and my heart is often faint within me. But I do have this joy at the back of it all -- God does set many sinners free in this place! Some people reported that I was mourning that there were no conversions. Brothers and Sisters, if you were all to be converted tonight, I should mourn for the myriads outside! That is true, but I praise the Lord for the many who are converted here. When I came last Tuesday to see converts, I had 21 whom I was able to propose to the Church -- and it will be the same next Tuesday, I do not doubt. God is saving souls! I am not preaching in vain. I am not despondent about that matter -- liberty is given to the captives and there will be liberty for some of them, tonight! I wonder who it will be? Some of you young women over yonder, I trust. Some who have dropped in here, tonight, for the first time. Oh, may this first opportunity of your hearing the Word in this place be the time of beginning a new life which shall never end -- a life of holiness, a life of peace with God!" --Charles H. Spurgeon (1894)

8. DocTrinsoGrace

"The Articles of Religion which are the ground of my salvation, are these, wherein I differ from no Good Christian: That Jesus Christ the son of God, and the son of Mary, is the Anointed king, Priest, and Prophet of the church, the only mediator of the new Testament, and that through true repentance and faith in him who alone is our savior, we receive remission of sins, and the holy ghost in this life, and therewith all the redemption of our bodies, and everlasting life in the resurrection of the body. And whosoever walketh according to this rule, I must needs acknowledge him my brother. Yea, although he differ from me in divers other particulars." --John Smyth (1570-1612)

9. DocTrinsoGrace

"Conversion is not the smooth, easy-going process some men seem to think... It is wounding work, this breaking of the hearts, but without wounding there is no saving... Where there is grafting there will always be a cutting, the graft must be let in with a wound; to stick it onto the outside or to tie it on with a string would be of no use. Heart must be set to heart and back to back or there will be no sap from root to branch. And this, I say, must be done by a wound, by a cut." --John Bunyan (1628-1688)

#9 DocTrinsoGrace, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  10. thisnumbersdisconnected

"Were it not for the fact that the Baptists have been grievously tormented and cut off with the knife during the past 1200 years, they would swarm greater than all the reformers If the truth of religion were to be judged by the readiness and boldness of which a man or any sect shows in suffering, then the opinions and persuasions of no sect can be truer and surer than those of the Anabaptist, since there have been none for the 1200 years past that have been more generally punished or that have been more cheerfully and steadfastly undergone, and have offered themselves to the most cruel sort of punishment than these people."
    -- Stanisław Cardinal Hozjusz
    President of the Council of Trent
    1545-1564

11. DocTrinsoGrace

Another Baptist Quote

"Remember that our Bible is a blood-stained book; the blood of martyrs is on the Bible, the blood of translators and confessors. The pool of holy baptism, in which many of you have been baptized, is a blood-stained pool: full many have had to die for the vindication of that baptism which is 'the answer of a good conscience toward God.'

"The doctrines which we preach to you are doctrines that have been baptized in blood, -- swords have been drawn to slay the confessors of them; and there is not a truth which has not been sealed by them at the stake, or the block, or far away on the lofty mountains, where they have been slain by hundreds. It is but a little duty we have to discharge compared with theirs. They were called to maintain the truth when they had to die for it; you only have to maintain the truth when taunt and jeer, ignominious names and contemptuous epithets are all you have to endure for it.

"What! do you expect easy lives? While some have led through seas of blood, and have fought to win the prize, are you wearied with a slight skirmish on dry land? What would you do if God should suffer persecuting days to overtake you? O craven spirits, ye would flee away, and disown your profession!

"Be ye the pillar and ground of the truth. Let the blood of martyrs, let the voices of confessors, speak to you. Remember how they held fast the truth, how they preserved it, and handed it down to us from generation to generation; and by their noble example, I beseech you, be steadfast and faithful, tread valiantly and firmly in their steps, acquit yourselves like men, -- like men of God, I implore you!

"Shall we not have some champions, in these times, who will deal sternly with heresies for the love of the truth,—men who will stand like rocks in the center of the sea, so that, when all others shake, they stand invulnerable and invincible? Thou who art tossed about by every wind of doctrine, farewell; I own thee not till God shall give thee grace to stand firm for his truth, and not to be ashamed of him nor of his words in this evil generation." --Charles H. Spurgeon

12. DocTrinsoGrace

"It should fill us with joy, that infinite wisdom guides the affairs of the world. Many of its events are shrouded in darkness and mystery, and inextricable confusion sometimes seems to reign. Often wickedness prevails, and God seems to have forgotten the creatures that he has made. Our own path through life is dark and devious, and beset with difficulties and dangers. How full of consolation is the doctrine, that infinite wisdom directs every event, brings order out of confusion, and light out of darkness, and, to those who love God, causes all things, whatever be their present aspect and apparent tendency, to work together for good." --John L. Dagg (1794-1884)

13. DocTrinsoGrace

"None of the theories of the atonement states all the truth nor, indeed, do all of them together. The bottom of this ocean of truth has never been sounded by any man's plumb-line. There is more in the death of Christ for all of us than any of us has been able to fathom... However, one must say that substitution is an essential element in any real atonement." --Archibald Thomas Robertson (1863-1934)

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

"Send me a donation, and you will receive a prayer cloth and a pin in the shape of a cross." Jerry Falwell, 1998

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Where two or three are gathered together; take an offering." Anon.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

"Yes, I would like the five piece Locust McWings with honey mustard sauce." John the Baptist 30 AD.

17. thisnumbersdisconnected

"Let's eat!" -- any Baptist in the last 300 years, as the service ends.

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, now, we don't want to be guilty of the sin of gluttony. However, we do want to enjoy times of gooood fellowship.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some preachers and professors affect to believe in a redemption which I must
    candidly confess I do not understand; it is so indistinct and indefinite—a redemption
    which does not redeem anybody in particular, though it is alleged to redeem
    everybody in general; a redemption insufficient to exempt thousands of unhappy
    souls from hell after they have been redeemed by the blood of Jesus; a redemption,
    indeed, which does not actually save anybody, because it is dependent for its efficacy
    upon the will of the creature; a redemption that lacks intrinsic virtue and inherent
    power to redeem anybody, but is entirely dependent upon an extraneous contingency
    to render it effectual. CHS

20. DocTrinsoGrace

"The modern cry: 'Less creed and more liberty,' is a degeneration from the vertebrate to the jellyfish, and means less unity and less morality, and it means more heresy. Definitive truth does not create heresy -- it only exposes and corrects. Shut off the creed and the Christian world would fill up with heresy unsuspected and uncorrected, but none the less deadly." --B. H. Carroll (1843-1914)