1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Southeastern?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by RLBosley, Aug 5, 2014.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Does anyone have any familiarity with Southeastern Seminary or, more importantly right now, the College at Southeastern? I want to get a bachelor's in theology/pastoral ministry or something similar and Southeastern looks good. Plus they'll take my GI Bill, unlike Boyce which was my first choice.

If you've attended there what are your thoughts on the place?

Good?
    Bad?
    Ugly?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's a solid school, both the seminary and college.

Several have direct experience with the seminary, but it had a good reputation.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I agree, though only by SBC reputation, as I went to SBTS.

So There, 2 out of 317,000,000 Americans have a positive opinion of Southeastern.

4. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Sounds good :thumbs:

LOL. Good enough! :tongue3:

5. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just finished my ThM at SEBTS... I am all for it!

When the SBC wanted to change the name, I voted for the Southeastern Baptist Convention just so I could call my school THE Southeastern Baptist Theo Sem ;)

The profs there are great. Facilities are outstanding. And Dr. Akin is doing a good job at the helm. I would give it my full endorsement.

6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Thanks GT! Do you have any experience with the College at SE?

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really, but I like their degree completion plan. They are trying to make thinkers... which is what we need.

8. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I agree. Thanks for the input.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the BA/BS count as accredited and and therefore will transfer and be accepted by other schools? I ask because Southwestern has a bachelor degree that doesn't. It is/was only good for continuing on to grad studies at Southwestern. Nobody else would take it.

I don't know if that has changed or not, but it would be something to check on before starting.

10. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Good point. i looked it up and found this:

"Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary and the College at Southeastern are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, masters and doctorate degrees."

So that seems to be only a regional accreditation? I really don't have a firm grasp on what accreditation means and does.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. reverist

reverist Member

I am a current MAPR student at SEBTS, and I love it! The school has a great emphasis on both quality academics and is known as the Great Commission Seminary.

As to accreditation, accreditation bodies are recognized by CHEA, which is ultimately recognized by the US Department of Education. This is why accreditation can be considered privatized, because each accreditation body is its own private entity. There are two "levels" of accreditation: national and regional. Right now, there are only six regional accreditation bodies allowed and recognized by CHEA, while there are many more national accreditation bodies. For this, and other reasons, rightly or wrongly, regional accreditation is considered the "higher" accreditation.

Despite this, a school having even the highest accreditation is no guarantee that another school will accept your credits. A variety of factors come into play, including, but not limited to: the individual school's transfer policy, course and degree overlap, and the "sending" school's reputation, if such things matter to the "receiving" school (which they often do). Consider that if you wanted to transfer to a private liberal arts school to do engineering, many of your SEBTS credits wouldn't transfer, most likely, because we don't offer those kinds of classes. Best thing to do is to ask both SEBTS and prospective schools. I do philosophy, and Frank Beckwith at Baylor (a highly regarded philosophy program) said they take SEBTS very seriously and have admitted our grads into their PhD program before. Bottom line is these evaluative tools and just plain asking around are the best things you can do. This holds true of every school that doesn't already have a national name-recognized brand.

SEBTS is also accredited by the Association of Theological Schools. ATS is widely regarded to be the gold standard of theological accreditation. I hope this helped!

13. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

As an update, if anyone cares, I've applied to the College at Southeastern for the Spring Semester 2015, online. Hoping I get accepted.

14. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

It is possible for a school to be accredited & have a degree or program that it is not. I just ask the admissions office if all there degrees are accredited & if not is your program of interest accredited.

15. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

That's fantastic. Blessings all over your studies!

16. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats... I just got my ThM diploma from SEBTS. Now that they have changed their PhD program a bit, I am considering them once again.

17. reverist

reverist Member

I work in the Distance Learning office, so if you ever e-mail us a question, chances are you'll hear from me! :) Hopefully we were able to get you into some classes.

18. reverist

reverist Member

Which program would you want to do, Tim? I won't be applying until next year's cycle (for Fall 2016 entrance), but I would like to do the PhD Philosophy of Religion.

19. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Nice. Well I have been in contact with someone a few weeks ago. Unfortunately not everything was completed in time for me to begin this semester. I need to double check my status and see what else, if anything, is needed so I can begin in the summer semester.

20. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that the PhD program is changing (expanding?, yay Dr. Thomas!) I'd do it in the NT, I think. That is what I did my ThM in w/ DAB.

However, I am really interested in SBTS biblical theology PhD. I wish SEBTS would do that. We have some good scholars who excel at biblical theology