1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Healthy dinners that the hubby will like.

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Mrs.Owl, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

I have gained a little bit of weight since I got married.

I'm trying to eat healthy now to lose it, but when you're on a small budget it seems harder to get the things that aren't filled with unhealthy calories. I usually eat a good breakfast. That's easy. Lunches aren't too hard either, but its the dinners that are difficult.

My husband loves potatoes, meat, bread and cheese, and so do I, but I need healthy ideas that don't cost a fortune that he will enjoy too.

Any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Portion control. Portion control.

You can eat whatever you want, just make sure your portions contain less calories than your body burns in a day. In other words, take in less calories than you expend each day. It does take some willpower but once you see the weight coming off, the motivation to lose becomes stronger.

I lost 30 lbs. over 6 months by measuring calories using an app called My Fitness Pal. Do you have a smartphone? If so, this might be the ticket for you. I've gained back 5 lbs. of it over the past 11 months but my original goal was to lose 24 lbs. so I'm still within my parameters.

My wife has tried to lose weight by going on diets. The problem is that she made "healthy" foods that no one else in the family wanted to eat. I bet your husband doesn't want to go on a diet, so make what you usually make, you just have to eat less of it than you are now.

#2 InTheLight, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  3. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

Working on portions too. I used to do the calorie app, but I don't keep up with it well lol.
    I can't eat whatever I want though. Everything sticks to me and I don't have an insanely fast metabolism like my husband has. I dieted over a year ago and lost about 20 lbs., but that was when I didn't have someone to cook for, and I was riding my bike to work everyday.

I'm really just trying to find healthier meals that he will enjoy.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Internet is your friend. There are oodles of recipe web sites with low calorie recipes.

5. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

Lol, I know. I'm not a young grasshopper when it comes to the internet...I simply wanted to know if anyone on here had favorite ones, and if THEIR husband liked it. Believe me, I've been doing my share of googling.

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you go another way and do some walking .....with the husband or if not, I personally find walking is great in that you can talk to God and more importantly hear what is said to you....

Ooops it is probably a tad warm in your neck of the woods.....my feet and hands are frozen here.....

7. Mrs.Owl

Mrs.Owl New Member

Haha it is incredibly hot, but mornings are a little less. I'll try that too...I need to get more prayer time in anyways.
    I do use a weighted hula hoop too.

8. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suspect I would be arrested for indecency should I hoola in public :laugh:

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What things does he like? How are they unhealthy? What things does he dislike?
    Some people eat healthy/ unhealthy in vastly different ways, so that may help with ideas.

10. ramnchou

ramnchou New Member

You should " In morning eat like a king, in afternoon eat like average person and at night eat like a beggar" and you will loose weight in no time :wavey:

11. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

This is great advice to live by. People tend to skip breakfast and then eat too much in the evenings. You need to change your way of eating and the weight will literally fall off. Drink lots and lots of water and if you can get some walking in that would be great even it if is only for 15-20 mins. a day.

12. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

take 6-8 large potatoes
    a package of onion soup mix
    grease a Pyrex pan with oil or Pam cooking spray or it's equivalent
    slice the potatoes. After this our some oil into the dish you the potatoes are in and coat them. Place the potatoes in the dish 1 layer at a time. As you do this sprinkle/pour the onion soup mix onto the potatoes. Bake at 400* for 25 minutes turn over and stir the potatoes and ad some of the soup mix. Bake another 10-15 minutes. This goeswell with anything.

14. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member

As someone above said, portion control is everything. I would suggest looking into "My Fitness Pal" for the both of you. Make sure that you mark down absolutely everything you eat and accurately. I would look into buying more vegetables. Eating healthy is not as expensive as we'd like to believe. There are plenty of healthy options, we just don't want to choose them. I wish the both of you the best of luck!

15. faithgirl46

Site Supporter

I like chicken tenders. Take a package 1.75 lbs to 2.225 lbs of Chicken tenderloins cut out the white strip in the tenderloin, combine an egg you've whisked, along with milk We use 5 oz cans of milk. combine Italian bread crumbs with dried parmesan cheese, dip the chicken strips in the wet ingredients, then dip them in the dry ingredients, after melting a stick of butter, baste of sides of the chicken with it, spray a pyrex dish with a non stick spray and bak in the oven for 25 minutes, turn the chicken over and bake another 15-17 minutes.

16. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

It's a struggle getting my husband to eat healthy as well!!
    I try and make meals for him with lots of veggies. He LOVES chicken stir fry.
    I just sautee the chicken breast and then add onions, peppers, zuchinni, brocolli, mushrooms.
    Then I add teriyaki sauce and let it simmer for about ten minutes.
    Serve over brown rice.
    It's amazing. Easy and simple. Best thing about it is you can use whatever veggies you have on hand. Hope you enjoy :)