1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor & Church Membership

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Desert Jim, May 29, 2014.

1. Desert Jim

Desert Jim New Member

Hi Everyone, I know all if you are not IFB folks based on my understanding
    of the IFB, but I have a question about an IFB situation......actually, it's probably more of a pole.

Has anyone ever heard of a preacher planting a church, having a joining ceremony for Charter membership and NOT JOINING THE CHURCH HIMSELF? He claims he wants to stay there forever. He even built a large house with the help of church members, there, and across the country? I know this is common practice with foreign missionaries, but have never seen this in the states, and I have been blessed to have help start more than a couple of churches.

To make this even MORE irregular, in my understanding, is that the pastor and a helper he brought with him, also not going to join, handle and control the money of the church......and......for seven months there has not been ANY sort of accounting to the church. Most church members in the country today are kindergartners where practice is concerned, and no real strong men in the church, so they won't question it right now. I do know that practice will blow the church apart sooner or later. Therefore, I elected to leave and not join. I left quietly, as I have always advised in those circumstances. No point in staying and objecting to the procedures, which would only cause discord in God's house. The pastor is a great preacher and I love him and the folks at the church, but I couldn't, in good conscience, remain in attendance.

I sought Godly counsel from Godly men, and none of them had ever heard of such practices, so thought I'd ask you guys. I KNOW you have opinions, lots of'em :smilewinkgrin:. Actually, I'm not looking for opinions (I have too many already), but just checking to see if this a COMMON or am ODD practice.

In His Service,

Jim

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never heard of that and what he is doing is problematic.

3. Desert Jim

Desert Jim New Member

That's what I thought. I've been around a long time, and I don't need to get involved in a church, especially one that "could" get going, only to have it crash and burn. And I certainly don't want to be one who causes dissention, so we parted on good terms, where I'm concerned. He probably was glad to get rid of me cause he also got rid of any objections to how he wants to run the church. I do believe in a pastor led church and have always been a pastor's man, but not a "yes man". I do not believe in a pastor controlled church. God is in control.

In His Service,

Jim

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I see some big red flags in your post and I would also leave because as nice as the pastor is, he's heading in a wrong direction. I would be highly concerned for the future safety of the church and it's members.

5. Desert Jim

Desert Jim New Member

The problem, as I see it, even if his intentions are sincere, is that the members aren't really mature Christians and they won't know the difference. Then, down the road somewhere, the church will get hurt. However, I don't intend to talk to anyone there about it. I guess they will have to learn the hard way, and the pastor, too.

In His Service,

Jim

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preacher man talking on TV, puttin' down the rock and roll
    Wants me to send a donation, 'cause he's worried about my soul
    He said, "Jesus walked on the water.", and I know that it's true
    But sometimes I think that preacher man, would like to do a little walkin' too.

from "Long-haired Country Boy" ~Charlie Daniels

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since the men refuse to put themselves under the authority of the local church (or its elders if that's your POV), I'd either seek to remove them or just leave the church. Because, what theyare doing isn't proper Baptist polity.

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I know of a pastor who in his first full time pastorate was forced to resign by a very powerful minority. My friend simply tried to love and pastor this church but these people were impossible. I still shake my head when I think about some of the things these people did going so far as to forbade him from having a water bottle while he was preaching.

So, he left that church and started a church. He and his planting team established a Constitution and Bi-Laws that gave the pastor all the power. I disagreed with him but based on his experience I can understand why he did this.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

#9 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2014
  10. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could see not wanting to be listed as a charter member since pastor move on but I would think they would want/need to be members.

11. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Pastor should be a member.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wanted to say, thanks and spot on!

As far as not handling the money, that view is held by many pastors, up to and including Billy Graham. But someone, an Elder, or whatever title your church uses for its leadership, should be accountable to the governing board and the membership. Quarterly business meetings should be held, where this responsible person gives an accounting, so much received, so much spent and the general categories for the spending, i.e. staff compensation, facilities, missions, VBS and whatever other programs receive funding.

Unless the leadership reports to the membership, you do not have common Baptist polity.

13. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rhetorician Response

Jim,

I am not an independent Baptist but was reared in that culture. I have only one thing to say!!!!! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN as fast and as far as you can!!!!!! This sounds like a little pope to me. :tear:

You already know all of the pitfalls.

My two cent worth!!!