1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kindles, Nooks, or regular books?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Nov 9, 2014.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pre-ereaders I had read zero books since leaving the school - have to part of my life. I disliked reading, could not find any real reason to want to. Picked up a kindle touch and have been reading like mad since.

I have picked up hard copies with intent to read but one or two pages in the effort ended.

I now use an android tablet instead of the kindle but really enjoy a good book - wish readers had come along years ago.

2. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

I hope to get a small tablet or something with a reading ap for traveling, to have a Bible handy and a book of interest.

But I cannot imagine study without real books and underlining, notes, cross referencing pages, etc. This is especially true when it comes to reference works.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just got the Kindle Fire HD 6 for my daughter for Christmas and I've been playing with it. It's very nice and just $99. :)

4. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Kindle Fire Tablet Half Price Today Only

If anyone's been thinking of this (I'm not...maybe just a cheap reader) well the link was messed up this is on amazon's green thing for today.

I saw in the news that B&N will spin off Nook. Micro$oft dropped their partnership on this.
    Seems a shame that amazon has such a monopoly. I don't believe that my ebook versions have sold even ONE for Nook.

#24 shodan, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2014
  5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Way back when, I was looking at both devices (Kindle and Nook) but really felt that with the internet as it is, B&N will not be long for this world and chose the Kindle. Actually, I was leaning that way and a dear friend bought me a Kindle when my daughter was ill in the hospital. :) But I'm glad we went that way. We now have one Kindle Paperwhite, a Kindle Keyboard, a Kindle Touch and Kindle apps on all of our other devices. I also have a Kindle Fire HD 6 that I'm playing around with to see if this is what I want to give my 11 year old daughter for Christmas.

6. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Automatic links

I hate that these automatic links that appear when you type kindle or nook take you away from the Baptistboard when you click on them.

7. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member
    Site Supporter

We have a Kindle Keyboard, Touch, and apps on our Nexus' (Would that be Nexi?). I love the Kindle for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. I have several Bibles in my Kindle account, and last year I was doing the Professor Horner's Bible Reading Plan. This entails reading from several different books of the Bible daily. It was so easy to just go from one Bible to the next on my Kindle, as opposed to flipping pages in my paper Bible.

I'd say my greatest reason for having a Kindle is that I can easily read lying down. I do 95% of my personal reading in bed at night or right after I wake up (I usually wake up very early - 30 min to an hour before I have to get up), and, as someone else mentioned, I don't have to turn on the light and disturb my wife.