1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Far Away Should a Person Live .....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Jul 22, 2014.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few choice words pop in my mind every time I see your passive-aggressive posts, but I don't have to think too hard about them.

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he's willing to travel with us any distance we currently go, then good. Besides, it'll be impolite to expect him to pay for his gas back and forth, when he's an 'invite', unless he's also a member of a church of like faith and practice and willing to spend his money for the comfort of driving his own vehicle instead of cramping it in ours.

well, that's a thought and that's up to them and, primarily, the Holy Spirit.

so I hear but all due respects to Brother Bob, his church is not Primitive Baptist.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Please! As an addictions and marriage and family counselor, I'd love to hear your theories on my "passive-aggressive behaviors." Minus the swear words, of course.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Though this is a rather ambiguous challenge, if I am reading it correctly, we should remember not all are called to go far and wide in missions work. Perhaps, for some, their greatest field of ministry and mission is the one into which they are born and will forever live until their homegoing.

For the vast majority, and by vast majority I mean 99%, of all Christians who have ever lived they would fall short of the mark you appear to be setting in your post. They have only lived in their local communities and grown there. Why call them out for being earnest, hardworking, faithful believers? I do not understand that attitude.

For some, who are called, they should go. Of course, I would readily say that many who should go are in fear of going and refusing their call. So it is. But not all Christians are called to your mark.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well first of all, you use your position as a hall pass. You act like a spoiled little kid who is always right then you are very quick to point out your cute little license if ever questioned. This happens enough to be rather annoying. Your posts are often negative and sarcastic, inadvertently, indirectly, and immaturely belittling those who dare disagree. aka. "passive aggressive".

#25 corndogggy, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, isn't Dr Bob old - wouldn't that qualify him as a primitive Baptist? :smilewinkgrin:

If he wants to go - that's fine - but don't expect him and more importantly do not push into driving a long distance - ( I would say anything over 45 minutes is excessive)

and as far as the exact brand of Baptist - I remember over in Germany - there were - I'm guessing about 7500 American families in the area. In our SBC church only about half were from the SBC - the other half were all others - and I mean quite a mixture! We put some of the specific doctrines aside to present Jesus Christ to the Community.
    BTW, there were 2 other IFB in town as well. Yes, they were very small.

#26 Salty, Jul 24, 2014
  7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Interesting assessment. I'll take it under advisement.

By the way, the only time I mention my avocation and my "cute little license" is to lend credence to what I have to say regarding certain subject matter. I don't use it as a bludgeon, though it appears you believe I may.

Perhaps you're feeling conviction ... ?

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a heads up this person you repsonded to is on the same level of a few others around here that a lot of folks avoid.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

:thumbsup: Beginning to recognize that. Thanks.

Then again, I love it when the troubled try to analyze me. :laugh:

10. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

And then you go and serve up a heaping helping of evidence to prove him correct. You disagree with him, insult his opinion with your drama queen hogwash reply, then, when you still disagree with him, you use your "credentials" to label him as "troubled."
    [unneeded nonsense removed]

#30 ShagNappy, Jul 24, 2014
  11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep focused - this is a great topic and NO NEED for personal "snips"

Our church is reformed Baptist and I'm old but NOT primitive :thumbsup:

We have members from the immediate community (6 miles) and then from Glenrock (25 miles), Wright (100 miles) and Lander (135 miles). Those from the greater distances can only attend 1-2 worship services a month, and do shopping, etc, when they make the drive.

But this is Wyoming, and we have only 4 Reformed Baptist congregations in the state. So understand some made need to drive long distance. We would be open to Primitives worshiping with us, as long as they didn't try to push their agenda. We have Orthodox Presbyterians come and there is no mention/conflict over baptism by tacit agreement.

We'd do the same with foot-washing. Can't help that we demand HIGH competence/training of ministers. But those are minor; I can sound dumb regularly.

We agree on basic doctrine. Most of our singing is a cappella (occasional guitar), we are Calvinistic in doctrines of grace, family integrated worship.

Cannot imagine people driving to Denver (5 hours hard traffic; 240 miles) to church. But then, I have never had to drive to find a good church. I just start one.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :jesus:

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which proves you are, indeed, Baptist!

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

I just wonder why some people fish in such small pools ...

[​IMG]

Thanks, but no thanks. Moving on and back on-topic (sort of) ...

If age has anything to do with idenity as a Primitive Baptist, I guess I better find a church in Kansas City. :laugh:

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Maybe you could "just start one," but what should a person do if he's in no position to start a church? How does a person who isn't "called to preach" go about starting a church?

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I do - help groups start a church in a home. As I have aged (past social security) I decided to start one more that I could "retire" in - keep/serve as elder as long as I had life and not have to drive hundreds of miles in all sorts of weather!!

There are men in every state that do this. Now, if you are in a very small denomination, you may need to start a study in home, invite others to come, and build to a point of being able to start a real "church".

Note: As I've done this with ranchers who have 3-4 families committed to this in an area, we teach how a real "church" is different from a good home Bible study fellowship. This "weeds" out people who want to be a one-man band with just their family and call themselves a "church". NT gives instructions and we follow them.

17. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would be happy to help any evangelical - not even need to be Baptist tho they must be "baptistic" (preach salvation, baptize believers, etc).

I have worked with Evangelical Free group, Berean, various Baptists - but never a Primitive Baptist. It would be an honor to help.

(And since I am a civil war Reenactor, I work with primitive weapons, mold my own bullets, and march with Company I, 3rd US Infantry. So the word primitive doesn't scare me away :saint: )

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't this similar to what I just said ? :smilewinkgrin:

Hats off to those who are able to worship with other 'brands' of Baptists. We cant.
    We moved to Buffalo, NY and worshipped at a church (after a long search) that was about 20 miles away. Fine group of people. Great and loving pastor.
    But we just never got used to hearing musical accompaniment, even with just a guitar, and singing mostly choruses, and talks about missions and getting souls saved to heaven, though they are, as they say, Calvinists.
    We longed for PB doctrine and practice, so we moved back to Maryland, then Virginia.
    Then there's the added initial embarrassment of being asked if it was true that we don't believe in missions and explaining what kind of missions and missionary we don't support.
    Like being the 'weird' boy and girl in high school.:flower:

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Will have to admit, I don't think we ever had any PB in our SBC in Germany. As far as musical instruments - It would be hard for me NOT to have music - especially with my singing :smilewinkgrin:

On one hand, I don't think you should be embarrassed about discussing your beliefs - as long as you base them on the Bible.

As far as missions and missionaries you don't support - I have started a new thread, as that can get into another discussion.

I have attended churches which have doctrines I do not totally agree with, yet, I do my best to put those aside to worship the Lord.

Salty

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Seems to me that there is a difference between being an attending member and an active member. An attending member is one who generally attends just on Sunday morning and drops an offering in the plate. An active member is serving in the congregation: teaching SS, serving on a committee or ministry team, active in member care and outreach, etc. An active member attends services and other activities on Sunday evening or other times of the week. An attending member can live many miles away but an active member will need to be within a reasonable distance in order to remain active.