1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Translation Would You Recommend ....

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by ktn4eg, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.... for a young person (age 14) whose knowledge of English is very elementary at best (He's a refuge from Nepal), but recently has trusted Christ as his Savior and is very much interested in reading an English Bible so that he can grow as a new babe in Christ.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The English Standard Version. It would be great way to help them learn English as well.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NIrV for sure.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most of your posts are very sound and well-thought-out.

But to recommend the ESV for someone who has a very elementary grasp of English at best, is a terrible choice. I wouldn't even recommend the NIV -it would be too far above his capabilities at present.

And the ESV doesn't even use standard English despite its name.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want to stay with a translation that is as true to the manuscripts as possible. Dynamic Equivilence are a bad way to go. I used to use the ESV but some places in scripture lose its original impact due to so called "readability".

While it may be more difficutlt to learn "readability" should be a low consideration on the totem pole. It more often than not weakens passages of scripture.

My preference is the NKJV

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV is a fine translation. Its English is readable. I am going to assume that this young man is going to have some help learning English. If so, let him learn from a good translation. While I recommend the ESV the NKJV, NASB, and even the NET would be fine. If he was on his own with no help learning English I would recommend he go to the Bible League and compare their Nepali translation with his hard copy English translation.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV has many problems. I started a thread about it, though it got off-topic quickly.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=93946

I would suggest the NIV. It reads the most like conversational English, something the ESV falls short at accomplishing. I would not go with the NIrV because it dumbs down the text too much.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That term is bandied around here way too often. Most of the time it is not a valid concern. Don't disparage it. Have you ever read it? I have given a number of NIrVs away in South Korea --not here yet.

Do you realize that the NIrV was designed for young children (of native English speakers) or for those in which English is not their mother tongue?

It uses simplified English because the users would be confused with higher registers of English. It bridges the gap. Once a better understanding of the language is gained the student can advance to something like the NLTse. Step-by-step.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recommend the NIV to younger/ESL students. I agree that they "dynamic" translations are inherently weak, but it is a good starting point.

ESV for older (high school/college). We give them away in our church to any who need a Bible.

NKJV for "old" (for those who have love for AV1611 from decades earlier)

(Note: When I was a teen I was given an ASV1901 - forerunner of NASB - and found it hard sledding. Guess that is why I am not an NASB fan to this day)

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The boy has a very elementary knowledge of English at best. The NIV would be too much too soon.
    You obviously need to read more. But steer clear of Ryken.
    Any translation is better than no translation --but the ESV! There are better versions out there without reverting to a PEV (Poor English Version). You should consider the NIV for them (Nicely Intelligible Version).

Hmm... unwarranted bias creeping through once more. My position is that the NASB has some rough spots --but all in all it reads better than the ESV a little more often than not.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip - no one asked you to criticize my choice. I didn't criticize yours. The op asked for OPINION on recommendations.

You have the right to be disagreeable, but because you SAY the NIV would be too much for him does not make that a fact. Or that you don't like the ESV (again, your choice). Or you think Formal Equivalence is not that big a deal (again, your position and you have the right to it).

How 'bout we HELP with our ideas to help this new believer. :tonofbricks:

12. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

The CEV was made for this type of situation. I found the CEV to be preferable to NCV, TEV/Good News, or others. The NLT may also work here.

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering that my preference is the NASB, I tend to want to use that as my frame of reference. I had posted a thread about the International Children's Bible for instances such as this - an easy-to-read alternative to the NIV or ESV

After comparing quite a few children's translations to the NASB, I thought the ICB had done the best job at conveying the same wording as what I use, just in simpler language. I really like it, especially at places where many translations are guilty of doctrinal leading

It was said in that other thread that Nelson changed the name from ICB to Holy Bible: Reader Friendly Edition

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NIrV or the CEB. I'd even consider the NLT, but most ESL classes that I've seen churches host use the NIrV.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a debate forum. You have criticized my opinions on Bible translations on a number of occasions. There has to be interaction with other posters in a given thread. All posters do not walk in lock-step.
    To disagree does not = disagreeable. Agreed?
    Well, consider this. I have had much more experience teaching ESL than any of you individually or perhaps collectively.
    The poster is not a new believer --but he has made a request regarding a 14 year old who struggles with elementary English. The NIV would not be appropriate. The ESV would be even more of a mistake.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not the Nlt for him to read and use then? reads easier then the Niv even, and is accurate enough to have him get the message of the Bible, correct?

I am referring to the second/revised edition of it ...

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NLTse is at a middle school reading level. The NIrV is aimed at just under the third grade level. For the boy in question in the OP the NIrV would be much more suitable than the NLTse.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the Nlt would still be a real bible version for him to study and use though!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have just accept that some here like the Kjvo, which is their choice, while others here seem to be highly niv !
    And one wishes that both the Niv/esv were nothing done as bobles versions, it seems!

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some on the BB who claim that the NLT is not a real Bible. The NIrV is a real Bible. It's the Word of God. Don't be careless with your words. And please remember the rules on this forum.