1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are all Fundamental baptist churches KJO?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by milby, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milby

milby Member

I used to be a member of an independant fundamental baptist church. I really liked the preaching but got tired of the constant bashing of other churches for using other bible translations. They even taught the kids a song that goes "The B- I -B- L -E but not the NIV, yes thats the book for me...."

Are all fundamental churches King James Only?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Short answer, no.

Longer answer, ask before you join.

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My church is KJV, I am KJV...but we don't lambast the others - the only
    way you will know how we feel is if you are around for a while.

Besides, the others lambast those of us who are KJV. All we ask is to be left alone.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sound more like KJV preferred my brother!

As those really into KJVO opinions do NOT want to be left alone, they desire to 'convert" rest of us Christians to see their view of the "KJV Bible only:" as way we must go!

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think Debbie is your sister, not your brother.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

They are out winning so many people to Jesus too!!!! My Bible says that he who wins souls is wise. So where does that put those you are referring to?

I lived and worked in a city that had a church like you describe which became the laughing stock of non-believers in the city and an embarrassment to the evangelical church.

A few years ago we met a lady who said she went to a church like you are talking about and she never knew her Bible but knew what the preacher stood for. That is until her and her husband went to a church where the people spoke about application.

I have come to the conclusion that few Christians go past the enlightenment stage of living the Christian life. That is the reason why their is so much personalization of doctrine rather than knowing what scripture actually teaches. So many follow Jesus on the basis of what they read rather than what scripture actually taught to those who received it at the time it was written. That requires study and avoiding a "repeat after me" theology.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An any stronger no would get me into the area of minced oaths.

8. milby

milby Member

I'm not sure I understand. Are you supporting the KJVO churches or are you being facetious?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The non-believers found the one I referred to as something they could point to as laughable.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Milby, maybe you should reverse the question, are there any KJVO Baptist Churches that do not claim to be independent fundamenalist churches? Certainly several Baptist Churches that claim to be fundamentalist are KJVO.

11. milby

milby Member

I guess I would just like to find a church that still preaches the blood of Christ and repentence and still uses the old hymn books but is not legalistic and KJVO, not the current trend of "just pray this magic prayer asking Jesus into your heart and your life will be complete"

I'm afraid that there are many that believe they are saved when they really arent because of this whole "seeker friendly" movement.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the idea that all we need to do is ask Jesus into our heart, and we are saved misses the actual gospel. We must be all in for Jesus, not only believing in Him alone for our salvation from the heart, but also treasuring Him in our heart, such that no other treasures inhibit our full devotion to Him alone. From the outside, we can see a changed life that grows more Christ-like as trials and difficulties build endurance and character. Therefore, if the gospel presentation leaves out that living for Christ requires denial of self every day, and does not warn of the persecution and difficulties of living for Christ alone, it may be a church without a lampstand. Just saying....

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    did not know that!
    thanks!

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of the approximately 3 million "independent" Baptists in the USA, about 25-30% would fall into some level of the KJVonly sect.

Some, like the Ruckman type, teach the KJV corrects the Greek originals!

Some, like the Hyles type, teach that unless the KJV is used, a person is not truly saved.

I have seen in my extensive travels NO SBC "only" church and they represent the majority of Baptists in the nation. I have not heard of any Black Baptists (3 major conventions) churches that are "only".

So if we extrapolate - there are about 40 million Baptists (of all stripes) in the USA and about 1 million KJVonly.

Tiny minority with a loud voice that only they listen to. The rest of Baptists and the rest of evangelical Christianity view them with pity.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ironic that the 2 stauchest supporters for KJVO position are certain IBF and certain pentacolstals/charasmatics like Wird of faith, confession etc...

As they agree ONLY on the KJV bOTH get opposite positions in doctrines from same Bible!

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used to be an SBC KJV-only church in Enid, OK; but that was back around 2003. Don't know if they're still there or not. The pastor was kinda old back then.
    Knew of one in Ocean Springs, MS; again, that was a few years back. They were a pretty full church, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're still around.

BUT - these two examples make no difference on your extrapolation. Concur with the rest of your post.

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that ironic at all. Look at your conversations with savedbymercy down in the "Other Christians" section. A lot of people read the same verses and get completely different meanings.

18. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church we go to here in Jilin, China - the only one with preaching in English - is Hyles-Anderson, I think. If what you say is true of this church that would be odd, seeing that well over half the congregation is Chinese and use Chinese Bibles.

Does that mean there are KJV-type Chinese Bibles? Can't be, but it boggles the mind how a KJV-only person can justify foreign Bibles - and still maintain his position.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it true of the saying, "An empty bag makes the most noise"?

I wonder what style and Bible Jesus used when he taught truth?

20. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard that some KJV only would contend that unless the language was translated from the KJV it is not "authorized" as the Word of God.

The thinking (in my opinion) is that the original manuscripts were in themselves translated and therefore perfect and so any translation from English must follow the same line of translation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.