1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions for Fundamentalists

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Van, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check out the militarygetsaved interweb directory (a Tripod site!). The guy who runs the outfit attempts to label every Independent Baptist church according to Bible version, among other things.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly his list includes those churches who proclaim they are KJV only, and those who proclaim they are not KJV only.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that is a abuse of fundamentalism.

4. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be true but that is what I was taught in my IFB church.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

It is brief, but It looks solid to me.

Why do you wonder if they are CoC?

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The website says the NCFIC is non-denominational and its doctrine is fundamentalist. The Statement of Faith makes clear it is Calvinistic leaning, saying those chosen in eternity past respond from their "new hearts." Thus a regeneration before faith tell.

The WCF follows in the same Calvinistic leaning way with this from their SOF, "We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the sinfulness of human nature...." Yet another regeneration before faith tell.

#47 Van, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
  8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many IFB churches that are not KJVO, but they seldom see the need to advertise that fact. So you will look in vain for IFB churches that have on their website, "We are not KJVO." On the other hand, KJVO churches usually advertise that fact on their website. It will be on the "What We Believe" or "Statement of Faith" page, and will use wording such as "God has preserved His word in the English language through the KJV."

Concerning Calvinism in IFB churches, it is spreading, but few with a Calvinist pastor or leanings advertise the fact. Often those pastors are alumni of Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary, which is avowedly fundamentalist.

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check in Greenville, SC. Dozens of IFB churches that are not KJVO. Some use the KJV, others the ESV, NKJV, and NASB. Never been to a IFB church that used the NIV, as its more common in SBC, Conservative Baptist, and other such circles, including may Calvinist churches.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But have you ever seen a church website say "We are NOT KJO"?

Therefore if a church does not state one way or another - how would you know what version a church uses?

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the website or the doctrinal statement says it is KJVO, or even just "KJV," it is. If it doesn't say so, it is not KJVO. Simple. :thumbs:

That doesn't mean such a church will not use the KJV--it might. It just means it is not part of their stand, their doctrine.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. Our church tract (and our web site) said "Preaching and Teaching Only from the King James Version" but we were not KJVO. We just thought it was honest to let people know what version we used.

Our main reasons for using the KJV was that many of our members were brought up on the KJV and used it as their daily bible. Also our Sunday School material all used the KJV. And last, but not least, the pew bibles were KJVs.

:D

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Point taken. :thumbs:

At any rate, I think it is still true that if a website or doctrinal statement does not mention the KJV, it is pretty sure that it is not KJVO.

14. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Agreed. My church states that our teaching and preaching comes from the the KJV, but we don't stand at the door and check every member's Bible as they come in. We're more KJVP than KJVO.

15. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Our church website and articles of faith make no mention of the KJV. However, that is the only version we use. Of course, the KJVO people would not accept me either because I use the underlying Greek and Hebrew text of the KJV.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I'm seeing a movement towards that position by formerly strong KJVO people, but it's too early to tell. Gail Riplinger has become an embarrassment, for one thing.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I believe there is a minority who believe that references to Christ return are figurative and that the next event in history is the destruction Peter wrote about.

The early English Baptist Confessions were pretty heavy on the doctrines of grace. If I am not mistaken, the contributors to "The Fundamentals" included both thoroughgoing Arminians and Calvinists... as did the "mainstream" churches they sought to correct but which have now declined.

Can you flesh out a bit more the distinction you are making on atonement with "penal"?

18. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RE: Versions. My church is now in the process of making a pretty smooth transition from the KJV as the primary text to the NKJV. Years ago when I posted here, I majored on that issue more or less because it was a battle that meant something to me. I am not promising that I won't dive back into that forum... but more than anything I now see that issue and those who focus heavily on it as a distraction from our mission. In just my time away from here (5+ years), we've seen a pretty dramatic shift in our nation. There is an ever growing biblical illiteracy. It isn't that people don't know or understand the "right" version but that they are functional pagans when it comes to any real knowledge of what the Bible teaches.

In short, there is a much, much bigger war to be fought than this fist fight inside the camp.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Scott J, thanks for your on topic posts.

I agree, even on this BB, we have folks saying Bible Study efforts such as Word Studies, should only be done by accredited graduates. Never mind the process requires hours of pouring over scripture, thinking about what is the best understanding of God's message.

Here in a nutshell is the difference between substitutionary atonement, Christ died for you (all mankind), and "Penal Substitutionary Atonement (PSA)" where Christ died for the specific sins of the previously chosen Elect. Thus PSA is a Trojan horse for Limited Atonement.

Basically, as identified by JOJ, Fundamentalists Churches are usually Arminian leaning, but a growing subset are Calvinist.

20. BryanMatthew

BryanMatthew New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    when a church says they believe in the inerrancy of scripture that seems non specific. That could mean they believe in the KJV is inerrant, or it could mean any number of translations. Or it could mean they believe only the originals are inspired (wherever they can find an original IDK).

What about if they follow all the 5 fundamentals stated in this thread, but never preach on hell? What if they never do an altar call? What if they don't believe in soul-winning? What if they do sprinkling baptism? What if they do infant baptism? What if they preach some form of "if you don't do such-and-such you aren't really saved?"

5 fundamentals seems like a short list. No disrespect intended. But a lot of people seem to think "fundamental" means they only preach against all other people and that they are very "strict" such as women have to wear head coverings, etc. This is probably why there is so much separation, because there is a lack of clarity on what is an IFB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.