1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bhutto Assassinated

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by StefanM, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is horrible. A country with nukes being thrown into absolute chaos. This will get even worse if Musharraf or any of his supporters end up being tied to this.

And to think that we have given billions of dollars in the last few years to this mess of a country.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Or the rest of the world . . .

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Melting with fervent heat

How did they come by the nukes? The arms dealers are still doing it to us--worldwide. They are almost as big as the crude oil and opium dealers.

Just don't sell them any long range delivery systems.

Read about the Valley of Megiddo in the Bible.

Shalom,

Bro. James

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Brief History of Pakistan's Nuclear Program

Pakistan's nuclear weapons program was established in 1972 by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, who founded the program while he was Minister for Fuel, Power and Natural Resources, and later became President and Prime Minister. Shortly after the loss of East Pakistan in the 1971 war with India, Bhutto initiated the program with a meeting of physicists and engineers at Multan in January 1972.

India's 1974 testing of a nuclear "device" gave Pakistan's nuclear program new momentum. Through the late 1970s, Pakistan's program acquired sensitive uranium enrichment technology and expertise. The 1975 arrival of Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan considerably advanced these efforts. Dr. Khan is a German-trained metallurgist who brought with him knowledge of gas centrifuge technologies that he had acquired through his position at the classified URENCO uranium enrichment plant in the Netherlands. Dr. Khan also reportedly brought with him stolen uranium enrichment technologies from Europe. He was put in charge of building, equipping and operating Pakistan's Kahuta facility, which was established in 1976. Under Khan's direction, Pakistan employed an extensive clandestine network in order to obtain the necessary materials and technology for its developing uranium enrichment capabilities.

In 1985, Pakistan crossed the threshold of weapons-grade uranium production, and by 1986 it is thought to have produced enough fissile material for a nuclear weapon. Pakistan continued advancing its uranium enrichment program, and according to Pakistani sources, the nation acquired the ability to carry out a nuclear explosion in 1987.

- more at www.fas.org/nuke/guide/pakistan/nuke/index.html

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now we know why Bhutto was assasinated.:rolleyes:

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==This is a sad day for her, her family, supporters, and nation. What is also sad is that one did not have to be a prophet to see this tragic event coming.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And why would that be?

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

She was a glimpse of hope for that region due to her moderate beliefs in terms of Islam...i hate to see what the next few months and maybe years look like there.

10. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

This was my thought exactly when I read this. I was amazed when the woman returned to the region, and slightly less so that it took this long for the assassination attempts to be successful.

11. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

And now we know why we should give more, more, more! Indefinitely! And with my money no less you, philanthropist, you. ;)

#11 Ivon Denosovich, Dec 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  12. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Wall Street Journal pays respects here and here.

13. chica3382

chica3382 New Member

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Yes, it was obvious this was coming. You can't just go to a totalitarian state and rally for the overthrow of the government on every corner without expecting a response...probably a violent one.

This may be worse for the region or world, or it may not. The latest crisis was largely caused by her return and demand for ouster of the current regime (and some power for herself, of course). Things were "relatively" stable for a time before she came back. Now, this could explode into a powerful movement for change, or it could quietly die away as rally supporters disappear into the night, and the most vocal critics of the regime find their loved ones missing or dead.

It is interesting that President Bush is adding to the anger by announcing that the killers must be brought to justice. If the killers turn out to be more than a terrorist group working on their own, this statement could be fuel for revolution.

#15 Chessic, Dec 27, 2007
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's Bush's fault...

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think the current dictatorship has manpower so bedazzled by it that their assassin would be willing to blow himself up.
    Generally speaking, those who attach themselves to the powers-that-be are leeches who will not take their own life just to bring down an opponent of that power to whom they are leeching.
    I think this is the work of extremists and terrorists.
    Considering that a few days ago, one of Bhutto's promise was to stamp out, and clamp down on, terrorists.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Chessic

Chessic New Member

I agree there's a good chance you are right, here. But I don't put it past Islamic politicians to use the remarkable power Islamic clerics seem to have over the fanatics. I can see a phone call to a few local clerics promising power, autonomy, or a donation "in the name of Allah" if said cleric were to encourage some of his more unstable followers to martyr themselves. And 70 virgins in paradise sounds pretty good to some...

#19 Chessic, Dec 27, 2007
  20. TC2

TC2 Member

Horrible, horrible thing.
    I fear there will never be any kind of real peace in that region.

Prayers for her family and country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.