1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Disapperance of Michael Rockefeller

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by church mouse guy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you may recall, Michael Rockefeller disappeared in 1961 in New Guinea and was presumed drowned. He was the son of Vice-President of Nelson Rockefeller.

Now Carl Hoffman has published a book that lists new evidence found in Dutch government archives and Catholic Church records, as well as testimony from one priest now in a nursing home. The book is called Savage Harvest.

The Washingtonian printed this comment:

Also, Coast to Coast AM radio show posted this comment:

There is a long story by Carl Hoffman in a Smithsonian magazine:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...-to-Michael-Rockefeller-180949813/?all&no-ist

[​IMG]

Michael Rockefeller, 1938 - 1961

#1 church mouse guy, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014
  2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

EEEEwwww yuck, the poor guy. I hope if that is the case the folk who ate him got Kuru Disease. The cultural thing about consuming humans in that part of the world suggests that by consuming the victim you absorbed his honour/spirit/essence.

Cannabilism was fairly prevalent amongst the Pacific Ocean peoples but I am not certain if it was confined to Melanisans or Polynesians etc.Also head hunting of course.

I am not surprised that the report said drowning, can you imagine the horror and revulsion if the report had transmitted to his family about the more likely ending.

I was surprised that the Dutch had a claim on the land, as it had been German until WW1 and then passed into Australian governance until independence in the 1970s. It must be remembered that the country of Papua/New Guinea is extremely mountainous and jungle...so there are a lot of peoples there who made contact with white people only fairly recently. If the Dutch had been insensitive in their handling of contact the reaction is hardly surprising....they would have been freaked out seeing a white ghost in any event.

#2 Melanie, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that I have finally figured it out: Poncho is really George Noory. :laugh:

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your observations! I think that the Dutch only claimed half the island.

I think that the Rockefellers knew the truth when they ended the search after 10 days but they did not want to tell the horrible truth to the family.

So much for art collecting.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember his disappearance well. At that time I was in the 97th Signal just outside of Mannheim, Germany. We followed the news by printing news articles on the teletype as the news services sent them out. We all followed this story closely, hoping he would be found well and alive. Sadly that was not the case.