1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvary Chapel?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Jul 12, 2010.

1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We just visited a Calvary Chapel church yesterday. I've read their statement of beliefs and they seem solid, but seems like I heard somewhere in the past to be leary about Chuck Smith and his church plants. Does anyone know anything to be concerned about with this kind of church? Thanks for any replies.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Charismatic comes to mind.

Our daughter/husband have been attending one and love it, her husband had grown bunches in the last couple years. They swear it is not charismatic but the book my wife got for Christmas certainly was.

Supposedly there are some churches that have solid pastors??????

Trust others will have more specific info for your thought processes :tongue3:

3. Athanasian Creed

Athanasian Creed New Member

I've heard that they have come down in general quite hard on Calvinism (heard this on Matt Slick's C.A.R.M. radio podcast).

I have heard that some of the churches have pastors that espouse Calvinism.

This is second hand info. but heard from very good sources.

Ray :wavey:

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This I Know...

... they truly love Jesus, and they preach salvation. IMHO, they have had a difficult time getting past the salvation thing, however, and I have seen many CC folks move to other denominations after a few years.

Fundamentally, they're strong in teaching the Word. They are now moving in the gifts, especially tongues, so that is not a worry.

As for Chuck. I have listened to his teaching over the last 30 years, and not heard too much that I didn't like. When his theology crosses mine, I allow him that, and go on. He loves the Lord, and has built a fantastic church around the world.

In Southern California, they are more of a clique like church. If you want to be someone, meet someone, or, impress someone, you go to CC. If you're new in a community, a lot of folks make their way to a local CC.

My wife and I have ministered in music as numerous CC's and never once had a problem with my message being received. I share the exact testimony in ministry dates as I do in my book, Prodigal Daze, and I usually have good size alter calls.

I'm not sure of their Baptist/Calvinism bashing, as I have not heard it, but, some of their pastors could be teaching this.

Here is a good sight to check out their beliefs.

SEE: http://www.calvarychapel.com/

:wavey: Great to hear from your again brother, and, I'll be praying for you as you look for a church that meets your spiritual needs. CC may do this for a while, and it surely won't hurt you, because they are a "win the souls" type church!!!

Pastor Paul :type:

#4 righteousdude2, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  5. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

this pastor has a few things to say about Calvary.... worth listening to. he was a member at calvary for a long time... look up his calvary sermons...

http://lighthousebaptistchapel.com/about/

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Sola...

You dont have anything to be concerned about at all, imo.

I've been listening to Chuck Smith for years and he has always been a great blessing.

He sees a few things a bit differently than most Baptist teachers, but nothing problematic, in my view.

If I were to ever think of leaving my church, and a Calvery chapel were nearby, it would be one of the 1st places I might visit.

#6 Alive in Christ, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  7. SBCJen

SBCJen New Member

Love listening to Bob Coy on the radio! But, have to admit haven't really checked into the denomination much.