1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do We Baptists Teach On the Holy Spirit Enough?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Appears that we do teach/preach a lot on God the Father, and jesus the Son, but do we teach on Holy Spirit?

came out of assemblies Of God background, so do see the extremes in those circles..
    BUT

Do we in the Baptist side place emphasis enough in the person and Work of the Spirit?
    That He ALONE can give us the power needed to teach/preach/ and live out the Chrsitian life?

#1 JesusFan, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No I don't think that most Baptist churches teach enough on the Spirit. Another area is the gifts of the Spirit. We will criticize those who speak in tongues, but we do not teach on the gifts overall or if we do it is very shallow. In these two areas, although not limited to these alone, Baptists usually fall short.

#2 freeatlast, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  3. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello again JesusFan

Every Baptist Church is different, but in my Church we are “balanced” in our coverage of the Holy Spirit.

I say balanced, because He is the third person, in the Godhead after all.
    --------------------------------------------------
    You said.....
    Indeed Jesus did say, wait for the Holy Spirit and that they would receive power after He came......but at that time in Church History, they were waiting for the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
    Whereas today, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit happens immediately at salvation.

Not to say any of us should avoid the subject of the Holy Spirit(what’s to avoid), but we should point out His work in conviction......
    John 16:8
    “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:”

And His work in giving us the Bible......
    2 Peter 1:21
    “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.”

etc, etc.

But I find the Lord giving me messages on, (the Father’s expectation of us), (The Son’s obedience to His Father), (The importance of personal holiness), etc
    Which all seem to be more pressing than...the person of the Holy Spirit!
    --------------------------------------------------
    It could be that your “Assemblies Of God” background, may be having an influence upon you in this area.

One area we as Baptists may cover in the subject of the Holy Spirit, is the danger of over-emphasize the work of the Holy Spirit, to the exclusion of other areas of the Christian life.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the holy Spirit (one of the titles of the third person of the triune godhead, the Spirit of God) is God and deserves our worship and attention, the Spirit focuses our attention OFF of Himself and on to the persons of the Father and Son.

The pendulum of the charismatic/neo-pentecostalism swung out into too great an emphasis and many Baptists - as is typical - swung the other way so as not to fall into that error.

Compared to the actions, ministries and even personalities, the Spirit in far less central in Scripture than either Son or Father. Not less important, but less emphasized.

Proper exposition of the Word will give the balance in emphasis to each person of the godhead. His work TODAY needs much more attention in most of our churches - His ministry in man's heart, His ministry in the church and His ministry in the world.

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

I take my example from the Holy Spirit ...

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

It appears the focus is to be on the Christ rather than the Spirit. Yes, the Spirit does work in the individual Christians, but we must be focused more on Christ.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ditto.

Ditto.

A Spirit-filled man preaches Christ.

7. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Thank you, I never really thought of it this way.

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scripture

John 14:26
    But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

With all the scripture posted and this scripture shows that Holy Spirit main focus is on Jesus and through Jesus we get to know the Father. The Son is a reflection of the Father if you want to know the Father get to know the Son the Holy Spirit is there to guide us.

Colossians 1:
    The Supremacy of the Son of God
    15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

21 Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of[Or minds, as shown by] your evil behavior. 22 But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— 23 if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel. This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Think that is where the problem is in our circles...

There ARE obvious problems within the Pentacosta;/Charismatic camps/

BUT

Paul mentions some 19 times in Chaper 6 of Romans alone that the Holy Spirit ALONE is our source/power to live for Jesus...

Just wonder in our reaction to the "Holy Spirit" Christian crowd, we have tended to throw out "thr baby with the bath water?"