1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

crocheting

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by CarlandBeth, Jun 16, 2014.

1. CarlandBeth

CarlandBeth New Member

Hi, wondering if anyone else is working on a crochet project. I've started something called a "vintage fan ripple" afghan....found a great tutorial on it on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUVq268axBU

I'm crocheting one for my daughter's twin bed in cream, pink, and light green.

Beth

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am one of those women who will have to live to about 200 as I am mad on handcrafts. I primarily stitch...I am working to complete a cross stitch so I can take a couple of things to the framers. My mother sent a piece of 3 corellas (birds) and as she is over 80 I think that is pretty neat..

I am crocheting some samples in filet crochet to check my tension, as I have decided to crochet a frontal for the church altar, which is pretty ambitious on my part. Afghan and rugs in general are very pleasant to work on. The ripple pattern sounds as if it could be either very quiet in colour or a positive rainbow. I have done many tartans in the past, for friends and housewarming pressies.

The cat is curled up on one at the moment as it is the depth of winter here in New Zealand....

The pattern you have chosen is very pretty and lacey.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a pretty pattern. It will look nice in the colors you choose. How long have you been crocheting?

I started years ago as a kid and have been doing it ever since--afghans, dish towel tops, scarves, toys, you name it. My 13-year old dd picked it up and she is very, very good at it. She makes little horses and has sold several. When I asked her how she did it (she didn't have a pattern) she said it was just "in her head!" I think it's great to see the tradition of crochet continue.

Do you ladies knit as well?

4. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I knit and I am learning to use a spindle and distaff...and some other stuff

5. CarlandBeth

CarlandBeth New Member

lovely

she sounds very creative!! I've only been crocheting on and off as an adult...I find I have the time during the summers, since during the school year I've still got three teens to home school/high school. I bet your daughter's horses are adorable!

Beth

6. CarlandBeth

CarlandBeth New Member

wow!

I would LOVE to see pics of your work, if you could post them...sound absolutely lovely!!

I'm on the opposite side of world, where I am very happy to have summer. We had one of the longest winters EVER and it is so wonderful to feel warm again in the sunshine!!

New Zealand has got to be one of the most beautiful countries I've ever seen pics of!

Beth

7. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hello Beth and welcome.

I knit and my crochet is very basic at the moment.

I am on a mission to finish of several outstanding projects before I attempt any more crochet.

Blessings

Following-Him :flower:

8. following-Him

I am knitting an afghan at the moment and am about to start knitting some hats and blankets for a special care baby unit. Haven't got as far as crochet yet :)

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nice tobe doing a charity project. Last year my group made bunny rugs for the maternal and child community service ( Plunkett) to be distributed to those deemed in need! Not sure what the project is for this year...keen to find out.. Currently knitting up a cardigan after acknowledging a pattern was beyond me ( not easy to do! ) and now have a nice simple long line cardigan which features my favourite accessory ....the Pocket!

10. following-Him

I was in touch with one premature baby unit and they told me they need at least 100 blankets a month! Apparently, each little one is sent home with "their" blanket as a gift. What a lovely idea :)

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

My crochet/knitting group was given an ENORMOUS quantity of yarn from a man whose wife has died. He had read about us in the local newspaper. It was a wonderful and generous gift. Whilst we do not know who it was, the lady will be cherished as we work with her yarn. Her husband asked if we would do a charitable thing for the local Women's Refuge which of course we will.

The overall group is not of wealthy people and despite NZ having a reputation of being a nation of sheep farming, wool and other yarn is very expensive against the average income.

One of the few disadvantages of living in this country.....it is a very long way from everything, and transport costs elevate prices significantl for almost everything.:type:

12. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

I learned to crochet in high school but didn't keep up with it afterwards. I'd love to learn again. It'd be an awesome skill to have especially in colder months so I could make warm clothes and socks for my kids!

13. PinkFlowers

PinkFlowers New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. PinkFlowers

PinkFlowers New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love the color combination you chose. I knitted a baby blanket for one of my granddaughters with those same colors.

15. Hishelpmeet1

Hishelpmeet1 New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am fixing to start more dish rags for our kitchen

16. PinkFlowers

PinkFlowers New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any updates on your projects, anyone?

I'm going to start on a couple of crocheted doll blankets for my friend's granddaughter. Then, I think I'll make some socks to go with the comfortable clogs I just bought. Most of my socks are just white. I can't seem to find socks in pretty colors anymore, so I figure I'll just knit some. I'll need to update my prescription glasses first before using the small needles and yarn!

17. following-Him

I am crocheting a cushion cover and last year crocheted an afghan which is almost big enough to cover a single bed. I have also made several baby blankets but haven't as yet got round to master decrease and increase. I also knit.