1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fundamental Forum Guidelines

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by C.S. Murphy, May 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Welcome to the Fundamental Baptist Forum, we hope you enjoy posting here. This forum was born out of a cry from many who despaired that their conservative and traditional views were constantly being attacked. It was designed to be a type of safe haven where one can post and be assured that others on the forum at least agree that the Bible is true and accurate, and will not question the Word of God in the course of the debate. Those who see things more liberally than we do can still be found on other forums so if you feel led to battle them then please do so.

Many have asked who should post here and the answer is, “Anyone who will not deny the truths of the Word of God.” For example, we may disagree on the various interpretations of Scripture; but we will not be allowed to deny or question a clearly revealed truth. (Creation, virgin birth, salvation by grace, Old & New Testament miracles, etc…)

Many threads in this forum have asked the question, “What is a fundamentalist?” or various issues surrounding fundamentalism. This is fine, but I want to add that everyone posting here is not a “fundamentalist,” but I pray that everyone here will respect and defend the truth of the word of God.

We do have a few rules here such as:
    · All posters must show "grace" to each other. We can disagree but we must do so in a civil manner. This is a debate forum so you can expect the discussion to be heated at times but never at the expense of others.
    · Threads that deal with specific topics that have their own forum will be moved to the appropriate forum. (Bible Versions, Creation/Evolution, Calvinism/Arminianism, etc…)

We believe that this can be a great place to post and discuss as well as the perfect place for new Christians to learn sound doctrine, so let's all work together to make this forum great. Please help us by sounding the alarm when necessary and most of all by sharing the love of Christ with everyone here.

Pastor Bob and C.S. Murphy
    Your humble Moderator team

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took the following from Pastor David Innes' (senior pastor of Hamilton Square Baptist Church, San Francisco for twenty-five years) series What is a Fundamentalist? I hope these printed materials will help us as we discuss matters here. Pastor Innes refers to them as "Columns" as he had accompanying his speaking.

1. Very Clear: To deny these truths is to deny the meaning of words. Such doctrines would include: the Virgin Birth, the Blood Atonement, the Bodily Resurrection, the Deity of Christ, etc.
    2. Logical Conclusions: These truths are drawn by inference from Category 1. Such truths would include: Immersion=Baptism, anything else is just getting wet; the form of church government congregational vis presbyterian; standards in music, etc.
    3. Informed and Uninformed opinions: Such matters come from one's own personal walk and study. These would include the Textual questions, Sunday Schools, Head Covering for Women, etc.
    4. Petty, personal preferences: Such matters would include: robed choirs, church dinners, etc.
    I in no way have sought to be exhaustive in my examples for the different categories. And many will want to move these examples (and some of them are mine) around.

Hoping to shed more light than heat,
    Keith

[ November 02, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by Squire Robertsson ]

#2 Squire Robertsson, May 19, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

...an excellent subject to ponder, thanks.

4. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Which category of truth do the "categories of truth" fall under? :cool: :D
    Just kidding, it is an interesting concept and might better serve discussion than merely having fact vs opinion.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    With Brother C.S. now our moderator emertitus, I want to leave these words of wisdom here for us to abide by.
    In His service,
    Keith Robertsson
    Squire of Lower Ducis Abbey

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith.

As Co-moderator just wanted to add my words of support.

Roger

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These were originally posted by Dr. Bob and are posted here at his request. He says his name comes up too often, so I get to do the scut work.
    Keith

#7 Squire Robertsson, Sep 10, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Some interesting thoughts.

9. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the attempt, but I think I would suggest some different categories, ones that I learned from Walter Martin and adapted slightly:

Essential: These are things that if you deny, you're not Christian. These are things such as monotheism, diety of Christ, virgin birth, bodily ressurrection, etc. (roughly the "very clear" above).

Very Important: These might be called "aberrant" if they are denied, and would include things that if denied, would not necessarily qualify as a heresy, but would likely prevent us from keeping fellowship.

Peripheral: These are roughly equivalent to the "petty, personal preferences" above. Choir robes, etc.

The key, of course, is defining what fits into the middle category. One person's essential is another's aberrant and another's peripheral. But biblically, I think most of them would fall out fairly clearly. The example I always give of "very important" is the discussion of transubstantiation, consubstantiation, and symbolic. Most would say that those who are wrong on this issue would still be Christian, but we would not necessarily fellowship with them.

On another subject, what is true is always true. Truth is true for everyone. There are no truths that are relative, i.e., true for one person and false for another person (in the same sense).

10. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

The idea is more than helpful; its essential. I would agree with humblesmith's last comment: truth is absolute. This thread caught my eye because I thought that it was advocating a kind of relativistic view of truth. (Should've known better.) I prefer the 4-part division over the 3-part division because it allows for a more nuanced approach to issues.
    Ok, the challenge is what we sort where. But having such a scheme in mind is a huge step in the right direction. We can then discuss which "bin" we put the particular claim in instead of coming to a deadend with the all-or-nothing mentality to which we so often succumb.

11. ChrisTag

ChrisTag New Member

I like the classifications. I heard a similar classification in a sermon called "Die, Fight, Fuss". There are some things we should die for, some we should fight about, and some that we might fuss about, but we certainly wouldn't die or fight for them.

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It should be noted that these definitions describe the positions of the various organizations as of 1980 +/- five years. The listings have not been updated for any changes in the last twenty five years.

14. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    HSBC's computer wrenches put together the original Sunday evening messages:

http://www.hamiltonsquare.net/sermons.htm

I am re-opening this thread for a bit. If you really want to debate it, I or you can start a separate thread.

#14 Squire Robertsson, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I went to the link that Squire gave and I found it to be interesting especially the charts. They, for the most part (I don't agree with everything) are a very good break down of truth -vs- preference.

16. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been known to refer to a position as Cat 2.5

17. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Regarding the OP, This seems like the essence of modern day fundamentalism. Creating a chart of issues, behaviors, preferences and then being more concerned our lives are lived in accordance with the list/chart than we are according tothe Bible. Nice try but just too distracting.

18. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the charts and the messages they accompany endeavor to clarify matters. Too many place their personal opinions whether well informed or not on the same level as the clear teaching of Scripture. Also, you have to remember these messages were first preached in San Francisco, hardly a bedrock of Fundamentalism.

19. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like the address of the series What is a Fundamentalist? and the printed materials have moved. I think I found them and linked them. If these are the wrong ones, Brother Robertsson, please feel free to fix them. Thanks.

20. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I edited the OP to reflect the change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.