1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homecoming Sermons

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Gershom, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Any to share? I'm looking at Luke 15 for next week's sermon.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've used Homecomings (typically the church's anniversary) to refocus the church, using Acts 2:42-47, Joshua 4, etc.

3. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. We are welcoming our adopted daughter home this Sunday. It's going to be a very special time and I want to preach a good homecoming message. I was thinking of maybe looking at a few homecomings in Bible accounts and concluding the sermon with our Great Homecoming in Heaven.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

My favorite homecoming sermon (that I preached) I used II Sam 24:16-17, threshingfloor of Araunah the Jebusite. I don't remember all my points off the top of my head but it went something like:

I told the story of David and his sin of counting the people, the judgement of God, David's repentance, and how God's hand was stayed at this place.

It was a common place, part of the agricultural community, owned by a Gentile. It was bought with a price. It became a very special place, the location of the alter of the temple at Jerusalem. A place of repentance and redemption, a place where God's judgement was stayed and his hand reached down to man. Thousands or millions of sacrifices were offered here. The brazen alter, the priests, the temple.

Then I related that place to our church - a common place built by men, but what wonderful things have happened at this place; baptisms, weddings, funerals, revivals, salvation.

Then I rolled that into a gospel invitation - you know we still have a place right here where redemption and salvation is available, a place where God can meet with men. Do you need such a place?

Anyway, I thought it was good. If anyone is interested I can look up my notes, it was a few years ago at a church I had formerly pastored. Feel free to use or distribute.

5. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

We are having a Homecoming next month and I am told of people wanting to attend. Right now, I am leaning toward preaching on John 14:1-6 and titling it "Homecoming Day"

1. Prepared Place
    2. Prepared Promise
    3. Prepared Path

I have never preached at a Homecoming before so we'll just see how God leads.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Reading your post brought this instantly to mind...

1 Samuel 1:27 For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him:
    28 Therefore also I have lent him to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

How about a subject like, "A Gift that keeps on Giving"???

Just a thought...

7. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Don't know about a sermon, but "Coming Home" ["I've Wandered Far Away From God...."] might be a good invitation hymn.

There's a beautiful story behind how that hymn came to be written too.

8. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Sorry, translation needed for this Brit - what is a "Homecoming Sermon"? A sermon preached at a service to welcome a missionary home (on furlough or permanantly)? Yet that would seem not to fit with what Tom Vols wrote: "I've used Homecomings (typically the church's anniversary) to refocus the church."

9. North Carolina Tentmaker

Hey David:

I guess this is an American tradition. I had never really thought of that. Typically ‘Homecoming Sunday’ is a celebration of a church’s heritage. Often the message is brought by a former or retired pastor. Former members and families will come together. Often children of members who have grown up and moved to other cities will come back. Sometimes former members who left the church under unpleasant circumstances may come back but usually everyone is friendly. We will have a big ‘dinner on the grounds’ (do you have that over there?) and sit around talking about the ‘good ole days.’ Sometimes we will have a sing or gospel group in the afternoon. It is usually a lot of fun and a good chance to see old friends.

Most, but certainly not all, of the homecoming messages I have heard have some kind of a heaven theme and we talk about those friends who have passed on and the homecoming we will have with them someday.

10. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Thanks for that explanation, NC Tentmaker! I think the nearest thing we have is the church anniversary. Most churches I know hold such services on a Saturday, to enable fellow believers from other local churches to attend, without having to be away from their own services on Sunday. Usually, a visiting preacher is invited. The emphasis is on praising God for keeping the church concerned through another year, and praying that His keeping power will extend into the coming year. The "host church" usually provides some refreshments after the service. My own church celebrated its 8th anniversary last Saturday, but the preacher (Gordon Cooke, from Pontypool, in Wales) told us that his church was a little older, having just had its 297th Anniversary!

Thanks again.