1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"The power of pride"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Olivencia, May 19, 2009.

1. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

I used to see this on bumper stickers years ago and whenever I see it now I think of Leviticus 26:19.

---- I will break the pride of your power.

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Daniel 4:37 "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride."

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In the south, people use "proud" when they actually mean "pleased."

When I say I'm proud of my children, I am saying I'm pleased with them.

The true definition of pride is arrogance, disdain.

Nebuchadnezzar demonstrated such pride when he showed the visitors from another country his wealth and power. That's when God put him on all fours for seven years. Neb was arrogant, God humbled him.

That said, I do wish all those promoters of "pride" in our schools would get their definitions straight.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Some of you will remember the Grand Ole Opry comedienne, Minnie Pearl, whose opening line was always "Howdeee! I'm just so proud to be here!"

She meant she was pleased, happy, joyful to be here. There wasn't an arrogant bone in her body.

5. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Good points Tom.

- I remember the bumper sticker had a flexing bicep of man. I also think of Deuteronomy 8:17, 18.

Cheers

6. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Only a yankee would not understand Southern Pride and call it being pleased.

It goes much farther and deeper and is even a shade more than being satisfied with how glad it is to be where we love to be.

Yankees never have understood why we love the Old South and the old way of doing things. All they ever could do was complain about how good things were and make up bad things to say about us They'd report the very worst of things and try to tell the world we were unfair and needed to change.

We never changed, only had to except they wanted to fight until we were either submissive or defeated. I like what Granny said, "Lee never surrendered. He thought he was the blacksmith and wanted him to sharpen his sword."

Southern Pride, something a yankee will never understand.:godisgood:

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

What a sweet child of God she was!

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, I'm a Southerner by birth and by raisin' and proud of it. I will have to admit that we true Southerners (capital S, of course) are not just pleased to have been born and raised (not reared, raised) in the South, we are proud of it. I think we're all taught from childhood that there is something special about that privilege. I wouldn't call it arrogance or haughtiness, though. I'd say real Southerners are a bit smug about.

We're also taught not to flaunt that smugness, for then it turns into the kind of pride which the Bible frowns upon. Southerners don't go around feeling smug all the time. It rises in us when we watch how Yankees talk and behave, and are glad we're not like them.

Yankees will never know it, because we are friendly, cordial and polite to all. A Southern who demonstrates and reveals his smugness has violated a rule of the South. To exhibit smugness becomes the wrong kind of pride. It just ain't Christian.

We know what the Bible says about pride. We're just proud that we don't have that kind.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is that kind of like the Pharisee in Luke 18:10-14?:smilewinkgrin:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. "The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: `God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. `I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.' "But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, `God, be merciful to me, the sinner!' "I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."

10. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Here's a hearty "Amen!" and not this "Ah-men":thumbsup:

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Yep, the pharisee from up yonder and the poor tax collector from below the Mason-Dixon Line . (what the tax collector had to resort to after his plantation and gristmill were burnt to the ground by a manic named Sherman.)

Some of the most elegant of structures and also well-built ones are still standing. Some in operation and most the mansions occupied.

Yep, a yankee will never understand.:sleeping_2:

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Much of what I wrote earlier about Southerners was tongue-in-cheek.

I was just yankin' a few Yankee chains.

Of course, there is always an element of truth, even in parody.

13. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

When my grandfather (from Georgia) would burn the steaks he would say that he was sorry he Shermanized them :)