1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cnn shock poll: Big majority think confederate flag symbol of heritage not racism

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As debate rages in South Carolina over the Confederate flag on its statehouse property, a majority of Americans see the rebel flag as a symbol of Southern pride, not a reminder of racism, according to a new CNN/ORC poll out Thursday. Public opinion is about where it stood 15 years ago, when the Palmetto State removed the rebel St. Andrew’s cross from the Capitol dome.

But there is a stark racial divide on how the banner is perceived and what should be done about references to the Confederacy.

Among all 1,017 adults participating, 57 percent said it’s a symbol of Southern pride, 33 percent called it more a symbol of racism and 5 percent said it’s both equally. Among whites, 66 percent said it symbolizes pride, while just 17 percent of African-Americans responded that way. In May 2000, 59 percent of Americans in the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll called the flag a point of regional and historical pride

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...nfederate-flag-symbol-of-heritage-not-racism/

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are interested in showing your heritage why don't you also fly the British flag?

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I'm not English and because I don't live in an English culture.

I am, however, Southern and do live in a Southern culture.

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Yeah, I grinned when I read this. CNN may have "shocked" (and probably dismayed) with the result, but I'm sure most of the folks weren't. :cool:

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you no longer live in the Confederate States of America just like you are no longer a subject of England.

But, at one time your state was subject to England, and so that is also part of your heritage and culture.

So, again, why don't you fly the British flag?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not care about the flag one way or the other. It means little to nothing to me. I believer, however, that the appropriate response to the death of blacks is not to ban a flag that has nothing to do with it.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about the Black Power flag?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again I do not have an opinion one way or the other. However, if they are going to call for the end of one they should call for the end of both or say nothing at all. In the end this is about banning free speech either way.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I'm shocked.

Not hardly.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Because the folks who fly the British flag oppressed his ancestors. It can only be the heritage of Whites in America if they were the dominant force. :laugh:

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was never a subject of England. I was, however, born, raised, and live in the South.

Really? When, specifically, was Alabama subject to England?

Same reason I gave you before: Because I'm not English.

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really stupid comparison. :BangHead:

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting to hear about Alabama's oppression under the English flag.

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This really is stupid. As someone mentioned the other day, this flag that all these folks are claiming to be a symbol of their Confederate Heritage has NEVER been the Confederate Flag.

This flag that all these folks are claiming to be representative of their heritage is The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia when it was led by Robert E. Lee.

So contrary to the racially prejudiced and racist views of some of you, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia was adopted by white supremacists specifically for racial reasons during Jim Crow.

It IS NOT the flag of the Confederate States and has nothing to do with that heritage.