1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alligator kills 28-year-old Texas man during late-night swim

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by kyredneck, Jul 3, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "ORANGE, Texas – A man has died after an alligator attacked him during a late-night swim at a Southeast Texas marina.

Police in Orange, near the state line with Louisiana, say 28-year-old Tommie Woodward was swimming in a bayou early Friday morning when the attack occurred.

Orange County sheriff's deputies and a Texas game warden found his body nearby about two hours later.

Police said the man was swimming with a woman, but Justice of the Peace Rodney Price told KFDM-TV in Beaumont that she only jumped from a dock after the man screamed for help.

Price says a sign warns people not to swim in the area and that the man was bitten soon after he jumped in.

The woman was not hurt."

Alligator attacks common in this part of Texas?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am from that part of Texas and alligator attacks are rare because alligators are not terribly dangerous - except during nesting season.

It is nesting season.

Most likely, the signs were there because alligators breed in that area and they probably have a number of nests with eggs nearby.

Also, I can pretty much guarantee alcohol was involved. No sober person would want to swim around in that muddy/silty water with all of the crabs, gators and other critters.

FWIW, this is a brief profile of a high school friend of mine who studies alligators in those waters.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I grew up in L.A., where there are gators all over and you have to be conscious of where you let your dogs play.

I some parts of the South, they're unavoidable, but you can still take steps to stay safe.

I'd be willing to bet almost any amount of money the phrase, "Hold my beer...hey, y'all! Watch this!" was involved somehow.

If you are going to swim where there might be gators, don't do it at night. Gators feed almost exclusively at night. That's why you never hear about unprovoked daytime attacks on people.

Always know where you're swimming and what's the in the water.

About two weeks ago, my mother's little dog, who's about 30 lbs, got in a staredown with a five foot gator in the pond next to her house. They won't remove them until they get to six feet. As if a five foot gator couldn't kill a dog or take somebody's leg off.

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...The man and a woman had decided to go swimming after leaving the marina bar, the station reported. The man jumped into the water after he was told it was against the rules. There was also a sign nearby warning of the alligators...."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ttack-ignoring-warning-sign-article-1.2280484

...oh well, I guess you CAN'T fix stupid. We have a few of those in KY too.

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my dad would say everytime I got hurt doing something stupid when I was a kid, "...and that's why we don't do that."

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for that; he seems to be an interesting energetic fellow that loves his work. I wonder what sort of genetic engineering he's into, plants or animals?