1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blue jean skirts

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Hvnsaved, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Hvnsaved

Hvnsaved New Member

My wife and daughter don't want to wear a blue jean skirt in order to "fit in". Any advice? I say "blue jean skirt" because that is what so many of the Baptist ladies at our local church wear. Could be any. My daughter says they are "plain" - wants to spruce it up a bit.

2. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is your wife good a crafts? What about your daughter?? If either your wife or daughter are good at crafting, arts, have them jazz up a plain skirt and make it fancy.
    Faithgirl

3. Gayla

Gayla New Member

If they prefer not to wear them don't try to nag'em into it.

I love denim skirts and practically "live" in them.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with Gayla, let them wear what they are comfortable in...

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Didn't anyone tell you 'blue jeans' are a SIN!!!!!

:smilewinkgrin::laugh:

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hvnsaved, I say be thankful you have a daughter that wants to look more spruced up rather than more dressed down. I personally like jean skirts and dresses for many occasions, but Im in dresses all the time.....so I have to have some things that I can work in and be more casual.

I sort of don't understand why you'd need advice on this? Isn't this something that is pretty much your wife and daughter's decision? I mean it only reflects well on you as the husband and father anyway, right?

7. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Don't you know that "denim" starts with a D just like. . .the Devil! :tongue3:

8. Proud2BIFB

Proud2BIFB New Member

Kids learn by example.

I used to wear pants and jeans and dress pants, but I was convicted that I should not wear pants. (Not from my church)

I got rid of all my pants and bought jean skirts of all kinds, except the ones with really high slits that Wal-Mart has.
    I continued to wear skirts all the time, in hopes my daughters would follow suit.
    They didn't see it as I did, so I set guidelines. They know that when ever we go to church they are required to be in a skirt or dress. Sunday mornings they are required to be in their good dress skirts and Sunday nights and Wednesdays they could wear their jean skirts or other skirts. I didn't allow arguing on this subject, that is the way it is as long as they are under my roof.

They still wear pants but now I see them dress more in the jean skirts even outside of church.

Pray about it. Maybe have one of the girls at church talk to your daughter casually.

The "D" in denium is not for Devil! But the "P" in pants stands for you need a diaper! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I prefer that ladies where dress/modest skirts to church, but at their home, that's up to them and their husband. :)

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

To tell you the truth, I probably wouldn't do anything to 'fit in'.

11. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Some women can't "fit in" their denim skirts anyhow.

Not y'all; I mean other women.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they want to get them too large, or too small?

13. Hvnsaved

Hvnsaved New Member

I guess my point is that a lot of people won't consider joining a good Fundamental Bpstist church because the women in the family feel that will have to make themselves ugly to fit it. They feel they will have to wear a formless blue jean tent in order that no one looks down on them.

14. IIJohn7

IIJohn7 New Member

I belong to a conservative fundamental Baptist church. Our Ladies don't look ugly. In fact, just the oposite. I think (and I believe most of the men in the church feel the same way) that a woman is a nice dress looks like a lady.

I have found it's easier to respect a woman for the quality of her face if she's not trying to get me to notice the size of her chest.

15. Bro. Talmadge

Bro. Talmadge New Member

Why?? The ladies that come to our church, wear what they are confortable in. Some dresses and some pants. We are a very country Baptist church. Wear what you are comfortable in. To me it does not matter what they wear as long as it does not distract from the service. Of course none of the ladies would do or wear anything that would do that. Wed. nites, most of the men look like they just came off the tractor or the pasture. We are there to learn and to worship the Most High God, not worry if someone makes a comment about the way we dress. I f your church has something about dress code, and makes this important , then I would be looking for another place to hang my hat to worship.

:wavey:

#15 Bro. Talmadge, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  16. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

That is VERY christian of you! Just because a lady is of the larger size she can't fit in a Jean skirt? I beg to differ, I have MANY jean skirts that I "FIT IN" and look nice in. Please take your foot out of your mouth your smelling up the room. And I think and apology to the larger ladies are in order.

Why don't you post a picture of yourself as your avitar instead of a shadow? Afraid of someone pointing out your short comings.

17. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Just because the ladies like denim skirts, dresses or jumpers doesn't necesarily mean they think everybody should wear them.
    And I definitely wouldn't describe tham as a denim tent!!

Pipedude wasn't trying to insult anyone, he was trying to be funny . . .

The way some women (big or small) wear them, and the low-waisted cut on things nowadays is awful.

:wavey: :wavey:

18. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

I left this board for many months because of this very thing. People were not being "Christian" like and the things I read and the way some people were persecuted was discusting. I decided to come back to the board after many months in hopes that it had changed. I guess it is true, you can change the look of somethings but the insides could still be rotten.

19. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Didn't you notice? I specifically excluded the women who read this forum.
    I'm old.

I'm fat.

I'm ugly.

My mother dresses me funny.

And my greatest shortcoming is that I leave deer guts in the kitchen sink after hunting.

There. We're even. You can be joyful again. :love2:

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hvnsvd,

you said your wife and daughter feel that they are too plain.......the denim skirts that is. Well they are probably right. Most ladies I know don't wear jean skirts and dresses to church because they are typically casual wear (for those of us who only wear dresses).

I see no problem with finding a good church, a good group of people who you want to worship with, and then sort of trying to "fit in" a little bit. Why are we always so afraid of positive peer pressure? We fight against the negative peer pressure all the time.......right? But then why do we get all up in arms when someone around us is having a POSITIVE pressure put on them?

I don't understand what you are saying they don't want to fit in about, I guess. Are you saying they are objecting to the idea of wearing a dress to church? Or are you saying they just don't like jean skirts? Not all skirts are jean material..........they can wear something else.......can't they?