1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Women pastors you like

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro. Curtis, Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No where does Paul say that we must have slaves. Paul did not condemn it because it was a cultural practice that God Himself did not condemn but it was a totally different form of slavery than we have today. Remember, most slaves were men or women who owed something to the slave owner and worked off their debt. Every 7 years, the slaves would be released. It was not an "ownership" situation like we know slavery today.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You cannot use the Old Testament occurances to say that there were new revelations because that was before Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the final revelation. There is nothing new to add to Scripture. God's revelation to man has been revealed in the person of Jesus Christ and the Word of God. To add to it is at least misguided and at worst heresy. Scripture is very clear about the issue of women pastors. There are those who choose to change it to fit their culture and liking but it doesn't mean it's right.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

So you like Joyce Meyer? If you do, I can post some links on her.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Southern preachers who defended slavery misused the Bible. They themselves were slaves to the culture in the sense that they could not see or did not want to see the problems with slavery.

The Bible does not teach explicitly against slavery because the Bible is not about overthrowing social structures that are evil. It's about redeeming people to new life. Many preachers did advocate abolition of slavery and used the Bible for that, too. I think that one can find principles against slavery in the Bible. The main teaching in the Bible was for masters to be good and kind to the slaves and the slaves to obey masters. Slavery then was a different form from the South - and many were willing "slaves" in order to pay off debt.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, the Pharisees ignored several scriptures about the Messiah; they wanted someone to overthrow the Romans. Just because they misinterpreted or ignored some scriptures does not mean the scripture was wrong; it was not wrong. Jesus fulfilled over 300 OT prophecies of the Messiah.

The accusations against Jesus were based on the Pharisees' laws, not the Bible's.

If we accept new revelation, where does it end and how do we know it's from God? Either the Bible is sufficient as it says it is, or it isn't.

6. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

I was being sarcastic.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you and thank you for a reasoned, rational reply. The only place I would differ a bit is that those who were willing 'slaves' in order to pay off debt were indentured servants ... and they did have rights that slaves did not have. Personally I would not have wanted to be either. In a later era many share croppers were not much better off than the indentured servant.

I also believe there are pastors, well meaning pastors, today who, as you said about those who defended slavery, are slaves to their culture ... the culture we live in today. We have to rise above that level and move forward with God as He leads us into deeper insights of his will. Obviously this will meet with much opposition .... and much of the opposition will be from well meaning people.

#107 Crabtownboy, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Whew - I thought you were going off the deep end there for a moment! ;)

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I do agree with a lot that is being said, I must add that many if not most slaves during biblical times were "owned property" for life unless released by the master. Indentured slaves were subject to a whole different set of rules of protocol.

10. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

My apologies to the OP, this thread has been hijacked and I seem to be part of it. Back to the OP. I do not have any favorite women pastors, since there are non that are called by God to be pastors. Of course, my only source is the scripture.

11. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Finally, an easy question!

Answer: None.
    Reason: Because such a woman would be acting in open defiance of Scripture.

12. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you light and truth. Woman should not be given authority over men in the Church. Though their teaching of other women would be invaluable.

13. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ... I'm new here but but the truth is that there are no women pastors as per the scriptures. A pastor must be the husband of one wife and a woman can never be a husband, it's really a no brainer.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet we never have this argument about unmarried male pastors.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why not? I think I have. We need to hook him up ASAP!!!!!!!!!

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Bwaaa haa !!! Okay, you get a commendation for being consistent. ;)

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Isn't that the job of the elderly women in the church? I thought it mentions that in Scripture somewhere. A single pastor must not be a single pastor for more than a year.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you will have to excuse some folks they are not willing to consider that you are new.

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Never read that. Scripture on that subject would be interesting. It kinda throws a kink in the system, though, since it would also exclude widowed pastors. I can't imagine requiring a widowed pastor to remarry within a year.

20. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm being honest. Having been at one time interested in the Ministry a pastor told me that I should really consider getting married first. However, as I've stated I agree with light and truth. I mean Lux et veritas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.