1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 4 Year old kicked out of private Christian School

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Aug 28, 2014.

1. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article made it sound like maybe they were in their first year of school there. With the commitment made, it could be easy to try to stick it out for that year.

My 3rd grader is in his 6th year with one Christian school, but in his 2nd year at the main campus. Previously, he was at a satellite location. Last year, his first year at the main school, I was about to pull my hair out with what I deem an over-the-top administrative style of teaching that we were unfamiliar with from the other place.

Basically, there is no teacher. The person in the classroom is an administrator, disciplinarian, task master, whatever. But certainly not a teacher. The kids learn everything on their own out of workbooks. The task master sets "goals" of how much work must be accomplished each day, and pretty much badgers the kids into working harder. The kids even grade their own work. the kids fill out applications for privileges, the whole thing is set up like an office pool. He has about 20 workbook pages per day. Anything not done must be done at home that night.

There were many days last year in which he would bring home 16-17 pages of work. Good grief, he's there 9 hours a day, who's not doing their job?

We stuck it out last year, trying to make it work. They told me that this year we would see different curriculum and a new teacher, so things will be much different. I was very optimistic.

Well, as it turns out, it's the same curriculum, and the new teacher is nothing but a younger version of the old teacher.

It's been one and a half weeks, and I'm already scheduled to have a meeting with the "teacher" and principle. I already feel like I'm at my wit's end

I'm really torn as to what action to take. Here's what makes it extremely difficult:

1) I detest the idea of public school. I do not want him indoctrinated that way.
    2) The school is affiliated with our church, but not joined altogether. It's complicated
    3) The nearest Christian school only has class M-W-F, and I haven't the means for extra care
    4) It's impossible to take him to work during the day and homeschool at night.

The bottom line is that it's a Christian curriculum, administered from a very worldly mindset of goals, accomplishments, scheduling, societal influence, etc. And the administrative process seems more important than whether or not they're actually learning.

I'm involved (with the pastor) in trying to change the mindset of the church and school. But it's not easy.

So I'm paying to send him to a school we dislike, but our school seems to be the lesser of all the evils.

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

It's a shame you are so scared of public schools that you will allow your child to get a sub par education.

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said it's a sub par education. He's at least one grade level above national average in every subject except one, where he is at grade level. It's a little better than what the public schools are doing. It could be much better, imho.

And, I absolutely prefer his books to be filled with scripture citations as opposed to Darwin and Hawkins citations. I don't want him indoctrinated with "social justice" nonsense, or learning about condoms, etc

And I've seen all of this with kids around us, where English and Math assignments are littered with anti-Christian, political or sexual innuendos. Ain't happenin' in my house

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

We need to quit saying that the school punished the child for the parent's behavior. It is the parent's fault, not the school's. She obviously was sewing discord in the school. This wasn't the first time, and by her own admission, "each day" she found something to dislike.

She tagged them. She wanted them to see the post. It wasn't private. For those of you who don't know, tagging someone sends them a message telling them they were tagged, and what the message was. It'd be like me emailing someone, and then telling them they weren't meant to see the email.