1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is Election Salvation ?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by savedbymercy, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

I hear many times people say that Election, in and of itself, or Election itself is not Salvation, but that its merely unto Salvation, based upon a scripture here 2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

Now understand something, that verse does not say that Election is not Salvation, but its speaking of the fruit of Salvation in time, inbelieving the Truth, resulting from Sanctification of the Spirit. In a real sense, being able to believe the Truth is a Saving or Salvation [from error]. Thats what Paul means here 1 Cor 1:21

For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

For preaching does not save anyone from hell or the penalty of sin, Christ's Death alone done that !

Again here to Timothy 1 Tim 4:16

Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Doctrine does not actually save anyone from the penalty of sin, but it does save from the delusions of sin and false gospels and doctrines , to belief of the Truth !

The Truth however is that ELECTION is ones Salvation from the Eternal Perspective, in the Eternal Realm, wherein from Eternity Past, the Elect ones, Chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world as Per Eph 1:4, are by that Divine choice, saved in the purpose of God from the penalty of sin 2 Tim 1:9, and so that shall result in time, a Salvation wrought by the Spirit 2 Thess 2:13, which is but the fruit of Salvation they already had in the Eternal Purpose of God, which is Election Rom 9:11

11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
    )

These Two purposes being the same , here in Rom 9:11 and 2 Tim 1:9, God's Purpose of Election in Christ,

So its concluded, it is not biblically correct to say Election is not Salvation, without clarification of the same !

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

3. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

There is potential for confusion in your wording, as you used a bit of a double negative in your explanation. It might be more impactful and clear to remove the two instances of the word "not" and say instead: "it is biblically correct to say Election is Salvation"

This is not to say I agree with your point of view, as I'm obviously not Calvinist in my leanings...I was just hoping to provide a helpful piece of advice for your writing, savedbymercy. Please don't be offended by it. :wavey:

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Election, in and of itself, is not salvation. Election, done before the foundation of the world, was done by God, and in His time, will bring salvation/conversion to fruition.

TBS, the ones God elected before the foundation of the world, will be saved.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is election salvation? Of course not! What an ignorant question!

In November of 2016 we will elect a new President. But that person will not become President until January 20th, 2017.

Duh!

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All whose names were written in the Lamb's book of life before the foundation of the world will be saved eternally.

Duh!

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

So, election is salvation...

but it also isn't salvation...

** :laugh: **

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Election leads to salvation. However, those who have been elected, will be saved.

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

C1, I was being facetious, hence the laugh at the end.

10. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

The way I would explain the op is, When God chose to elect a number that no man can number before the world, they were saved in the mind of God. When Christ shed his blood for those elect, they were saved, in the mind of Christ. When the Holy Spirit gives those elect a new birth from above, in their minds right then, saved. Even though they may walk the walk and talk the talk of the unregenerate before this new birth the providence of God goes before them.

11. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Is Election Salvation ? 2

All who have been Chosen to Salvation in Eternity Past, or from the beginning , shall in time be called by the Gospel to believe the Truth 2 Thess 2:13-14

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Vs 14 being called by the Gospel, is precipitated by the Work of the Spirit unto belief of the Truth , which is the Gospel !

The Calling of the Gospel in Time reveals who was Elected before Time, so we come to know in time of our election before time by our calling, and thats what Peter means here 2 Pet 1:10

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Calling will always result from Election, and so its an evidence in time of election before time !

So in the scheme of Salvation, there is a Calling restricted to the Election, which of course cannot be the same that are called here without being of the election Matt 22:14

14 For many are called, but few are chosen.

FYI, this called refers to the natural seed of Abraham in the formulation of the Covenant Nation of Israel, However within that Nation resided only a very small remnant of the Election of Grace !

12. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Amen, so is a sense,would you say the Elect are saved from before the foundation due to their being Chosen in Christ at that Time, if we can call it time Eph 1:4

4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

13. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

convicted

You are one of the type people I am speaking of in the OP. Please review with the the points I made in the OP and my latest post !

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

15. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Your reasoning here has no biblical significance. This has to do with Spiritual Things and People having been Elected into Christ before the Foundation and its significance, nothing to do with worldly elections of men into public office ! Please review the points of the OP with me !

16. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Why man hates the Gospel Truth of Election !

1 Cor 1:29

That no flesh should glory/boast in his presence.

That word glory is also translated boast as in Eph 2:9 !

Now, we as men by nature hate Election because it gives us no reason to boast about our so called freewill; Thats right, we cannot boast that I chose to believe with my own freewill and so God saved me because of it, and you didn't so God has not saved you ! Thats boasting whether we say it like that or not, but if in the final analysis one can say i am saved as a result of my freewill to believe, and since you didn't use that same opportunity of freewill afforded you, you are still lost, thats boasting or a cause to boast.

But the Pure Doctrine of Election takes that boast away, so the natural man hates that Doctrine !

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

God will in time regenerate, make spiritually alive, and bring all His "Chosen Ones" to Eternal Salvation in Jesus Christ. But until regeneration occurs the Elect are like all mankind or as God tells us in Ephesians 2:1-7, NASB:

And I agree the 1. And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,
    2. in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
    3. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.
    4. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us,
    5. even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
    6. and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places, in Christ Jesus,
    7. in order that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

And I agree, the names of the Elect are written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Solid poster Brother OR, solid post. :thumbs:

I like it the way I heard a Brother preach it one time.

"Election happened in eternity, conversion happens in time."

19. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

Why man hates the Gospel Truth of Election !2

Let me illustrate this freewill boasting concept and how Election puts a stop to it ! Jn 1:12-13

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Now whats makes the difference between those who receive Christ and those who dont ?

The one who is a boaster will say that it was his own freewill that made the difference, but the ones who believe in Election says God's Election made the difference.

See Election points to God making the Difference, but boasting points to their freewill making the difference in saved and lost, or who receives Christ or not.

So thats why Election to Salvation is so hated by the natural man, for then he cannot find cause to boast about what he had done to win God's approval over the other guy !

20. savedbymercy

savedbymercy New Member

old reg

Thats True, except the Elect are not in a state of condemnation while the rest of mankind is while in that condition.

The elect, while they are enemies, they are nevertheless reconciled to God Legally with no sin charged to them Rom 5:10 !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.