1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

public schools

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SolaSaint, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I was listening to Friedeman this morning and he was discussing the problem of public school for Christian families. Many Christian kids leave the faith after entering the public school systems, I think we all know this is a problem. He said that Al Mohler has proposed SBC families to consider taking their kids out of public schools and start home schooling them. I did a little research and found this was a topic at the SBC yearly meeting in 2005 or 06. I never had heard this before, I guess my head was in the snad. He also said Franklin Graham promotes keeping our kids in the school systems to be a witness.

It is strange that I have never heard any progress on this subject for it is a big problem as far as I'm concerned. What do you all think the right thing to do is? Take our kids out or leave them in for a witness?

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

While a parent ultimately makes the decision, I think Christians should seriously consider removing their children from public schools. Education is not secular, it is a distinctly Christian act rooted in God.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well I don’t know where you have been SolaSaint, but we have our own forum here on the board dedicated to homeschooling.

Ruiz is right, each parent needs to make this decision for themselves and there is no right answer. It depends on a lot of things. It depends on the school system, the teachers, the children, the availability of Christian School alternatives, and the ability of the parents.

In our case, depending on where we were living our children attended Christian School, were homeschooled, and now all are attending public schools (1 in college now). I believe that the early years are the most important and when no Christian School was available we homeschooled. But as our children grew we “mainstreamed” them into the local public school system.

We are blessed with a great school system here. Prayer at all events, the chorus is doing their Christmas concert at our church tomorrow night. No problem with religious music or any other Christian reference. We had a slip sent home today from one of the schools announcing that they were having a convocation service Wednesday. There will be a biblical devotion and no T shirts will be allowed. Their school issued polo shirts are the uniform of the day.

I know everyone does not have that kind of public school system available.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Honestly, I personally think the best choice for our children is to homeschool them - at least through their elementary and middle school years. We started with the public school but God led us quickly to homeschool and my older girls were homeschooled starting in 2nd and 1st grades. My younger children have never been in school other than our church's preschool. My older girls did go to the public high school for 9th through 12th grades and it was God's leading us to do that to drive us to that decision. It was a very good decision for each of them and I'm not sure what we will do with the younger kids when they get to that age.

I understand the argument about keeping our kids in school as a witness but honestly, are our children fully prepared to be missionaries in a very hostile environment? Is that the right thing to do with our kids? I don't think so. I also don't think that many Christian schools are much better than public school and as such, I think the homeschooling option is the best.

But bottom line, it's a decision each parent should make with counsel from the Lord. It's VITALLY important that parents understand that it's not an all or none proposition and it's OK to homeschool for a couple of years then send them back if that is what God leads you to do.

5. SolaSaint

I agree with everyone, it is a decision to be made with much prayer and by the parents. I definitely have had my head in the sand on this, but I don't have kids that are school age. However I haven't seen a big rise in home schoolers and I deal with public schools in my job and I really don't see any change in populations. Seems like the home schoolers started out about 15-20 years and has stayed about the same level. Of course I know there are many variables that come into play, especially location. I would like to see more private Christian schools that offer a low cost alternative to both Home School and Public school. In the SBC we see much of our money going to colleges that are for our kids to attend, why can't we include K-12 opportunities?

6. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Home-schooled children wander from the faith, also. So do private-schooled children.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've said it before and I will say it again.

Every one who parents a child has a responsibility - not a right - to seek God's will in how they will educate their children.

For some that means public school or charter school, for others it means Christian/private school or homeschool.

But that's not the end of story!

Once the decision has been made - the parent has another obligation to jump in HEADFIRST into that school system, beit public or private, and to become an active partner in their child's education.

I'm 50 years old and I've done it all - literally. Public school, private school, Christian school, tutoring homeschoolers, and now - a charter school. There is good and bad to say about it all.

And for those who are quick to lay scorn at the feet of public schools - please be careful. I don't say this lightly. The worst years I ever had as far as foul-mouthed students and students who were sexually experimental with no regard for discipline, Christ, or their elders were the four years that I spent at two different Christian schools.

Beware what doctrine that they are teaching your children. I was amazed at Christian people who just dropped their children off at the door and never asked, "What are you teaching my children?" I taught the Bible for 4 years and conducted chapel for 4th-6th graders for 4 years and no one ever once came to me and asked me just what doctrine that I was teaching. Not a parent - not an administrator - not a co-worker - no one.

And please watch out for administrators who are good and decent Christian people, but who are not educators, and who are too afraid to discipline children for fear of losing out on that tuition money.

Just because a child wears a uniform with "Christian" stitched onto his or her shirt doesn't guarantee his or her salvation nor their santification.

A poor Christian school can be just as destructive as a poor public school - and in my opinion, even worse.

#7 Scarlett O., Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  8. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

That is true, but that is not the reason to discount homeschooling. The reason to homeschool is rooted in your theology of education. Can a person have a proper education without the foundation being based upon God? There is no true education that can occur apart from the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the foundation. Yes, people can learn, but they cannot be truly educated.

While there are some homeschoolers who turn secular and some in the public schools who remain faithful, I believe that faithfulness to a Christian Education is better with a foundation on the Gospel than a secular education with a foundation upon secularism.

#8 Ruiz, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think there can be a better post than this :thumbs:

10. SolaSaint

Yes that is information that I wasn't aware of. Now I'm more for Home Schooling. It defintely needs a lot of research and consideration upon the parents part.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I think the number of home schoolers has shot up each year and I believe the rate of growth is around 10% or so a year!

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Excellent Post!!!!

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am a big home school fan, however I do not think that many parents are capable of doing home schooling with both parents working as is the case. It is my opinion that if a child leaves the faith simply because they go to public school then they never had the faith to begin with and if they did not have it to begin with I do not think home schooling would make a difference. It would be interesting to see the stats on how many who have been home schooled and went to college and claimed to have lost their faith. My guess is it is no different then those who were not home schooled. I really think that our homes need to return to the biblical standards if we want our children to continue in the faith and be a model to the world, home schooled or not.

#13 freeatlast, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2011
  14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I would add to the Homeschoolers. As a college instructor, I see many students who come from a homeschool experience. They are often wonderful students, however, I do often see a weakness in mathematics and the hard sciences. This is not to say all come "under prepared" in math, but a noticeable proportion do. I might also add that I see the same from the Public School students.

I know there are many good options in mathematics curriculum, one I like for the homeschoolers is Saxon math, but there is often no good substitute for a great and inspiring teacher in the more challenging academics.

15. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

As a professor, I have not had the opportunity to teach many homeschoolers but my wife is a tutor for homeschoolers. I agree with you.

My grammar on this list is sometimes horrendous, but when writing formally it is much better. I have noticed that homeschoolers are usually better writers than their public school counterparts. In my daughters' class (10 and 8 years old), they produce better essays than most of my college students.

16. milby

milby Member

We have homeschooled from the beginning. I don't see how anyone that is a Christian could put their kids in a public school environment where God or the Bible can't even be talked about let alone taught about. Where homosexuality is not only embraced but encouraged and taught as an alternative lifestyle.

As for children going to public school so they can be a witness, I don't recall anywhere in the bible where God used children to be a witness.

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, You Have Hit-it-out-of-the-park, Rick!

Since I live in California, the land of "fruits, nuts and flakes" I would have to say that if I had children, they would not be going through the public school system on the west coast.

As you (may, or may not) know, the state just passed a law that makes teaching children the history of gay leaders/inventors and their contributions to society. On top of this, several years back, they decided to intervene and teach their class (when same-sex-families presents itself) to accept this sin as something that is natural and acceptable in our society.

While I have no problem with parents teaching their children to accept such things as social norms, I object to teaching ALL children, especially those from Chrisitan homes, this type of liberal trash! My children would be told that the law allows this, but the Bible doesn't, not an across the board "tolerant, nod!" :tear:

This alone is enough to make me choose to home school, or send my children to private schools, and that includes university-level education. Private Christian universities will do just fine!

I think our kids need to be aware of what is going on in the world around them. I just want them to have a Christian/Biblical perspective of the world they live.

There is no way I'd stand for the California school system teaching my children their liberal agenda. :type:

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow, this is a pretty offensive statement to many, many committed Christians who choose to keep their kids in public school. It's an issue of conscience.

19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Of course not. You're right. But it's asinine to make the claim that your children are more likely to depart from the faith as public school students. As one who was homeschooled and had a lot of friends from all school backgrounds, there is no such correlation.

In fact, a lot of the parents I saw homeschooling were objectively bad parents who were controlling or abusive or paranoid, while there were many faithful, level-headed parents who sent their children to public school.

There simply is no such correlation.

20. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

I didn't say they were as likely. Rather, I said that children in both venues depart from the faith. I do believe an education with a presupposition on the Christian Gospel is the only true way of education.

However, I also believe that these decisions should be up to a parent. Yet, I could not justify sending my kids to a public school.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.