1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use the Same Version Your Pastor uses?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Friend of God, May 26, 2015.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our Pastor uses the NIV from the pulpit for preaching and teaching. I use the HCSB.
    Should I switch to the NIV to be more in line with the Pastor's preaching and teaching?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a pastor I would say no. Only if you feel it is important to be able to read along with his preaching.

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd say no. I use the NASB but we have other Bible versions in the group. They chip in what their version has when there might be a difference in translation.

4. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Personally I do not use the exact same version as my Pastor does.

Usually he uses the ESV.

OTOH, I use a rather small NKJV Bible I got from "Thru the Bible" website. Since I'm handicapped and require a cane this Bible is more user-friendly for me.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use a different version deliberately. He preaches from the Holman; I most often use the ESV or Lexham.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you need to switch. Having two versions side-by-side is an aide in interpreting the passages.

Another advantage is you get to see which version is the better translation.

My pastor uses the ESV and I carry an NIV. It's very interesting to see the inferiority of the ESV. It's overly wordy, stilted, and in places doesn't flow well when read aloud.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor uses the NKJV, but I use the NASB. I actually appreciate being able to look at a different version through the sermon, and don't find it distracting. We do, however, also have the passage on a screen (NKJV) and I refer to it as well.

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. He preacheth from the KJV. So I follow along in my KJV from LCBP. On occasion, I pull up parallel versions on Mysword if I feel like it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, I do. Hubby uses the ESV as do I. I think everyone in the family is using the ESV except my 12 year old who is using what the youth group is using (can't remember which version that is). Sometimes we will have one of the other pastors come out and one or two use the NIV. I'm sure we have different versions in our congregation and hubby will point out the different choices in terms in a verse across versions when another version might have a different/better term.

10. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use whatever you are comfortable with.....except "the message"

11. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Does anyone out there attend a church that has pew Bibles?

There have been times when I've found them useful---especially if a church doesn't have power point where you can follow along by looking at the projected text on a screen.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

I think it is always a good idea to use a version that differs with a preacher's translation. If a pastor would use an NIV I would use the NLT or something else.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed this when Rippon commented. What is interesting to me is that I use the NASB most. This is what I used when I was younger and I am comfortable with the translation (much of what I've memorized is from the NASB). Anyway...I find that the NASB does not flow well and is difficult to read aloud. I don't really see this much in the ESV (I will use the ESV or NIV, more often the ESV, when my NASB is too awkward for me to read aloud).

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We don't have "pew Bibles" because we have no place to put them but we do have the same kind of Bibles available to hand out at the beginning of the service. As my husband starts his message, before he prays, he says "If anyone needs a Bible, raise your hand and Jack will get one to you. If you don't have a Bible, please take this as our gift to you."

The only time that we will put a verse on the screen is if there is a particular verse my husband wants to really delve into and it will fit on the screen. But we prefer for the congregation to look at their own Bibles and mark it up rather than seeing the words on the screen.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pew bibles are fairly new and match my version of preference, NIV. I very, very rarely use other versions, I have found jumping to other versions more than helping just seems to bring confusion, especially with newer believers.

16. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your opinions everybody. I think the above quote sums up the opinions of most of you very nicely.

I will continue to use my HCSB.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor uses the Niv 2011 most, while I tend to use either the Nasb or else the Niv 1984 versions to read along with him!

18. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I preach and teach from the HCSB....but will often reference other translations.

When I'm listening, I usually have an iOS device handy with my Bible apps that provide instant access several translations and will have a couple ready and open while I listen.

So no, I wouldn't think the OP needs to change.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I get older, I find it easier to follow the Pastor's exposition using the same version. So I set my NASB95 on the seat and pull out the NIV pew bible. But, once home and I pull out my notes, I use my trusty NASB.