1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Catholic Church a cult ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by lakeside, May 25, 2015.

1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha! Popes flipped on the deity of Christ!
    Changed the sacraments. Added vernation of the saints, made doctrines up about Mary(guess that would original and not a change.) During the crusades they promised salvation for those who died in battle ...clearly salvation by works.....this could go on and on.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

It is true that Catholics believe the pope infallible only when speaking from "The seat of Peter." You are right there. It is a newer doctrine in for the Catholic Church, but you are right that the pope is not considered perfect. remember, the Bishop of Rome was not considered the head of the church for centuries. When the RCC came into being it reached back and claimed a history that it did not legitimately own

#22 JonC, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  3. lakeside

lakeside New Member

It is not new, try reading about the seat of Moses. Both were installed by God Himself.

4. lakeside

lakeside New Member

McCree, you are funny. You can not produce one doctrine changed by the Church.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will give you this, Catholics are an inventive bunch. Our conversation and your understanding of history, lakeside, is what convinced me that Roman Catholicism is a cult. Before this I believed it to be Christian holding faults doctrine. You prove me wrong. It is a cult.

#25 JonC, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
  6. Rebel

Rebel Active Member

That describes where I am, too, and where I was previously regarding the RCC. What we have seen exhibited here is a cult mentality. And I am extremely reluctant to use that term.

7. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nature of Christ is one. I gave you 3 or 4 earlier. When did the church teach justification by war in fore Pope Urban?

Then you have Innocent condemning the Pelagian movement. He died. Then Zosimus public approved the teachings and allowed all western bishops to teach it. Then Zosimus gets an edict issued against him by the emperor and other bishops charged him with heresy. At that point Zosimus changed the position of Rome again.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

As far as I know his "seat" is in heaven.
    Where do you think it is, and what evidence would you give?

9. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

Ha, ha...so true. :thumbs:

10. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Try reading "everything" and "believing everything" in the Bible. I've accepted God's Church while you take your chances with mere-man's conflicting churches.

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Constantine's church is not God's church and never was.
    A church characterized by the murder of 50 million in a period of 1200 years is not of God.
    A church in the current age plagued and demonized by sex scandals, pedophilia, homoosexuality, child abuse of all sorts, is not "Christ's church."
    Averaging at least a scandal a week--it is not God's church; not Christ's church!
    What happened last week? The pope put around the neck of one of the leading terrorists of the world, and a man who is virulently anti-Semitic, a medallion with the icon and inscription "Angel of Peace!" Is your current, like Innocent III, a terrorist as well?

12. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I've accepted God's Church as well...I just disagree with you that "God's Church" is merely coterminous with the institutional RCC.

13. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Your Protestant churches [ yes Baptist churches included ] have only been with us half a millennium compared to 2 millennium of God's Catholic Church of His Apostles, just take a look at the atrocities and plunder Protestantism has incurred.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really, well my ancestors were a Military militia for the Roman Army and were there with Paul & Peter in Rome. They brought back to Britain a faith that has influenced Christian thinking ever since. Note, there is no mention of Catholicism irrespective of the fact that they were Romanized. BTW, they never protested Catholicism because they were never part of Catholicism in the first place. You want to talk to a Protestant, then go talk to somebody from Krautland, Czechoslovakia, France .....you know, mainline Europe who were like Luther, Calvin etc., card carrying RC's before they pitched a B.... (well you know)....:laugh:

15. lakeside

lakeside New Member

Earth Windy, no, I don't understand, never read from any source about your fiction story. Show me your non-bias documentation with the name of your religious organization back then, can't wait to see what kind of revisionists history this time.

One more thing," the Words of Jesus to His Apostles to go out and teach... the whole world [ Universal in Greek means Catholic, thus Catholic Church } , tell me how did you manage to get ' whole world ' out of the word Protestant ? The only thing that came out of the Protestant movement is - blank- and dissention, confusion, different teachings, and fodder for our enemy, Islam loves our weaken Christian disunity.

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When the Reformation came about the RCC, Lutherans, and Calvinists alike all had one thing in common. They all persecuted the Baptists. At that time most of them were known as "Anabaptists." The name comes from those who "baptized again." Those I just mentioned all were infant baptizers or "pedo-baptizers which is not biblical. The Biblical method of baptism is to wait until a person can understand the gospel, accept it by faith, and then upon the profession of their faith in Christ they my be baptized. To the pedo-baptist, this was a second baptist, and therefore they were called "anabaptists.

Look well to your own history. They persecuted, killed, plundered, anabaptists. Calvin was as merciless as the RCC. Both were very unkind to the Baptists who were not a part of the Reformation. They existed before the Reformation.

Yes, Catholics existed before the Reformation, but not before Constantine. Some of their beliefs did, but not the church itself. It started with Constantine when Constantine united Christianity and state together making this monstrous state-church which is now called the RCC--a mixture of paganism and Christianity. It has always been that way, and still is. It is still full of idolatry. You simply deny it. Close your eyes and deny, deny, deny.

Even your history you deny. The claim of the RCC is that Peter was bishop (pope) of Rome for 25 years. You know that is wrong; a lie. It has been proven to be wrong beyond any shadow of a doubt just using the Bible alone. The longest he could have been in Rome was one year, and that as a prisoner, not a leader--going there to die as a martyr, not as a bishop.

The RCC was and is founded on a lie, perhaps a pack of lies, and yet you believe. Amazing!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The irony is that there have been so many different historical accounts spanning centuries presented. These accounts are independent of each other (some secular, some religious, but different sources all pointing to the RCC as false),Lakeside rejects them all for a "history" his church feeds him ...yet he questions the status "cult."

#37 JonC, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....and separation from an apostate church who was also very adept at killing people. Would you like some evidence to support that as well....there is tons of that. Lets try looking at Hugonauts in France & the Waldensians in Northern Italy (The Piedmont Region).

19. lakeside

lakeside New Member

As I said in my post,[ of which you probably ignored ] that the Church made mistakes, because it is made up of humans , that said, not one doctrinal Teaching has ever changed in the past 2000 years, popes are fallible in matters not pertaining to the Christian faith. If your non- Catholic churches were around as long they too would have made bad mistakes also. Let's not forget that the civil courts also used extreme punishment back then, even after the Protestant Revolt within those areas under Protestantism. Protestants even murdered each other in the " Protestant Peasant Wars."

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There have been more Christians martyred in the 20th century than all the other centuries combined, and the rate of martyrdom has only increased in the 21st century. However this time it is at the hands of Islam, Hindus, Buddhists, and others.
    In the Middles Ages, the Dark Ages, and centuries gone by it was by the RCC who had acted like the ISIS of today. And now you try to excuse it. Did Jesus ever act that way? No. He never promoted or condoned that kind of lifestyle. And yet you excuse it in the name of "mistakes."
    It is a characteristic of an organization that never was a church in the first place. It was a combination of paganism with religion, and still is.