1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastors it has begun

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I say every Pastor here in Houston should preach a series on the sin of homosexuality and rather than draw back they should lean into it......what an opportunity!

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In NY State for a church to be exempt from sales tax, you must complete an application.

3. DMorgan

DMorgan Member

Please correct me if I am wrong, but did not govco use tax exempt status as a weapon against Pastors who denounced certain candidates in their Sermons? And did not the DOJ recently approve of the monitoring of Churches who were deemed to be crossing the line when it comes to Preaching against certain candidates due to their support of sin? This is where tax exempt status allows the govco to meddle in the affairs of the Church.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/bri...stors-advocate-political-speech-rights-church

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I say that we make this easy and no longer have men's or ladies' restrooms. Instead label them XX and XY. Period.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only the church, but any non-profit.
    For example, the Red Cross would not be permitted to endorse political candidates.

6. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good idea, but it will probably lead to gender confusion where there was none.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is that this, clearly, is an illegal ordinance.

If it were me, I'd tell them that if they want to know what I'm preaching, just show up on Sunday, where I'd preach a barn burner on homosexuality and call out the mayor to repent.

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, actually, he's right. My wife is a forensic accountant and when we founded our church a couple of years ago, she and our attorney gave a presentation about why 501(c)3 status isn't necessary.

And, anyway, under the 1st, 4th, and 5th Amendments, the government has no legal right to demand that you show them anything.

It is "automatic". That's why the IRS has never tried to take a church's 501(c)3 status away. They'd rather hang that over a church's head and make them afraid to speak, than to go to court and let churches find out that the whole thing is a scam.

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sent the mayor an email. Those in Houston should also send letters. Eventually they will filter down to the open air preachers.

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes a good idea. Also send the mayor letters in the mail.

11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be an unwise way to proceed.

12. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, no, that is a very smart way to proceed. If the city only subpoenas evangelical Christian pastors preaching against homosexuality, the new Houston "bathroom law" and ignores Muslims preaching against the same things, that is discrimination. Houston officials cannot claim to be for equal rights and then go about enforcing things unequally.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a dumb way to proceed. We do not evne need to entertain the idea that these supeona's are legitimate and we should fight them even being sent out no matter who they are too and about. Once you have started arguing that they did not send out supeona's to someone else you have just conceded that the supeona's are legitimate.

They are not.

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, if you get subpoenaed, just ignore it claiming it is not legit. See how far you get with that argument.

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's exactly what I'd do. This is something I'd be more than happy to go to jail for.

This sets a stunningly bad precedent. We are not the Soviet Union (yet) and should not pretend that Soviet-style actions are OK.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that. Lately you are just looking to read into othes posts whatever you want.

17. DMorgan

DMorgan Member

It is not just the former USSR. Many western European nations as well as Canada have passed laws which classify and restrict "hate" speech. These laws are being used to silence Preachers. And considering the progressive judiciary we have in this country now, i do not doubt the same will happen here. Secularism is the new religion.

18. gigabyte71

gigabyte71 Member

I agree with you, but this is going to be extremely costly to the tax payers and the churches. This could eventually end in the lap of SCOTUS.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think we know that yet. I believe that this is so unconstiutional that it will not go very far until it gets slapped down. I can also tell you that those pastors are ready to go to jail over this. They are not going to comply with the supeona's. And neither would I.

20. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course. You know it's coming. Christians are being marginalized at every turn.

And you're right. It isn't only the Soviet Union. Tony Miano has been arrested in England twice for preaching the Gospel.