1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seven Good Things about the Houston Subpoena Controversy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jedi Knight, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gospel is magnified. Acts 8:1 notes the martyrdom of Stephen and the severe persecution against the church. Note what happens as the persecution begins: “ . . . all except the apostles were scattered throughout the land of Judea and Samaria.” In the midst of intense persecution, believers scattered throughout other regions and the gospel traveled with them.

Indeed

3. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

Amen to that!

:wavey:

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I both agree and disagree.

First, I'm not sure what happened counts as "persecution".

Second, I don't believe the implications of what happened are limited to churches.

Otherwise, I agree.

I'd like to add a #8: It exposed the hypocrisy of the left.

All I ever hear from the left is how they're supposed to be the defenders of civil liberties. When I first heard the story, my first thought was, "the ACLU is going to go berserk over this".

Three weeks later and still not a peep out of them.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    October 17, 2014
    The Texas chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and other liberal groups have expressed concern over Houston officials subpoenaing sermons that may have been critical of an LGBT discrimination city ordinance.

Recently the city subpoenaed various pastors' sermons due to their objection to the Houston Equal Rights Ordinance, a recently passed law that has strong conservative opposition.

In a statement published Friday afternoon, the ACLU of Texas said that the "government must use special care when intruding into matters of faith."

"The government should never engage in fishing expeditions into the inner workings of a church, and any request for information must be carefully tailored to seek only what is relevant to the dispute," said the ACLU.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/a...rn-over-houstons-subpoenas-of-sermons-128256/

6. Jedi Knight

Site Supporter

But the left is so tolerant.:rolleyes: