1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Andy Stanley

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I know webdog.

Webdog is a friend of mine.

You sir, are no webdog.

(..and webdog is no liberal)

:tongue3: :laugh:

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not know andy stanley at all except for this recent episode.I have heard Mohler many times and each time he is very very solid....What do you find fault with him about?

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

AiC,

HUH?

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is a lot I appreciate about Mohler. In this episodes, however, he is wrong in his assessment and blanket condemnation.

Have you listened to the whole sermon?

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you imagine...:laugh:

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In this particular instance, his snide tweet in reply to Warren. Obviously he doesn't believe he should be questioned in any shape or form...yet has no problem dishing it out as he did with Stanley.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...I have listened....he is mis-guided....trying to "love" at the expense of truth.....all sex outside of marraige is fornication....the sodomites are 'in church" trying to serve??? they should be excommunicated until they repent.

It is not love to allow profane people in the assembly, Paul says put them out that they do not leaven the whole lump...1 cor 5

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look Web, you should not care who it is....whenever someone even hints at going off track & begins to misrepresent God (even unintentionally) that person HAS TO BE called on it. Im not trying to make Calvinistic Points here / not my side or your side nonsense......but there can be no mis communication here....& I think you know that Brother. I am personally content to see how it all works out. Once you've thrown the punch & your opponent is down, be graceful enough to allow the guy to get up before you pound on him again. And if you are a Christian, then help em to his feet.

#88 Earth Wind and Fire, May 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
  9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

IC, I said Mohler's tweet (twitter) response to Warren.

11. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Andy Stanley:

"We are requesting that everyone watch the entire series: Christian. It concludes this Sunday. It's 8 parts. That's a lot of content to wade through. But I figure that's better than a sound bite or an interview."

http://global.christianpost.com/new...to-questions-over-homosexuality-stance-74262/

I understand where people are coming from. It seems by his emphasis of the adultery that he was ignoring the homosexual part. If he believes that homosexuality is wrong, why bother speaking about the adultery? The homosexuality would cause them not to be eligible to serve regardless of the one still being married.

So far, this is all I've seen from Stanley about the issue. Maybe he will clear things up in the 8th part.

Remember, this was a sermon. It can be easy to over emphasize something not realizing what it may be implying.

12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Wow...man that is all I can say. Listen if you actually believe this we just need to stop conversing about this. Church is for all people, regardless of what junk, baggage, or sin they are struggling with. The basic function of the church is to provide grace for all people equally because we all have sin and junk. I'm always so sad to see Christians make such terribly non-biblical statements like this.

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry you do not believe the Apostle Paul's teaching directly on this:

It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.
    3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Christians , not knowing the bible leads to watered down ,touchy feely garbage like these mega churches put out. Unrepentant sodomites are not in God's church...especially those who should be excommunicated.

Your statement above is a direct contradiction to biblical teaching. if you would read your bible you will see this:

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

15. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

It is called sarcasim. I was responding to your claim of slander. You seem ti like the word.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sarcsasm is not always picked up on these kind of forums, hence the use of emoticons. I had a hard deciphering your sarcasm through your obsession with Warren and Stanley threads (insert emoticon) ;)

17. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Icon, agree with you here. It is not loving to accept and wait while fellowshipping as brothers while they are in open sin. Go and sin no more still means just what Jesus meant when He said it.

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes...we are to always bring the gospel to sinners..at all times in the public arena...Jesus came to save sinners:thumbsup: That is why 1 cor 5 is very careful to point out....if any man who is called a brother...be a fornicator.......

Preachingjesus and QF.....are not seeing these verses correctly. We have a responsibility to put these people out.....in the hopes they will repent.
    This is the biblical teaching. Anything else...is not the biblical teaching

This is not even debatable.:wavey:

19. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

Well I reject your categorization of people struggling with sin.

I also reject your limited read of 1 Corinthians 5. Notice what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 5:10 "I did not mean the immoral people of this world or the greedy and swindlers or idolaters; otherwise you would have to leave the world." Notice here the qualification from Paul. In our churches the world comes in. Well at least in the churches who are growing and care about bringing the Gospel to people. The reality is that even in your church you will have people who come in who are homosexuals, adulterers, racists, corrupt business people, theives, etc. What Paul's larger concern is how we welcome them into 1) membership and 2) leadership.

It is abundantly clear that we are to be careful about who is accepted into those two categories. What good is excommunication in a society that seeks grace? It does nothing and only reinforces the idea that the Church seeks to harm rather than help. We shouldn't be surprised that sinners don't understand our standards. We shouldn't be surprised they live outside of our standards Until they can see our grace and receive the charge of holiness imbedded in the Gospel then we cannot expect them to understand why they should live in a certain moral way.

Thus, when they show up to church we should be happy they are there. These sinners, as craven as they might be, are going out of their way to hear the Gospel and be convicted by the Holy Spirit. We should welcome them to hear such an opportunity. However, we should also be unremitting in our standards for membership and leadership.

To sit in judgment of people who are outside of grace is to assume the mantle of hypocrisy given to pharisees. We should never be about that. Our obligation is to present the grace of Christ to people who need to hear it and especially when they walk into our doors and communities.

Paul, and the rest of the NT, has no problem with the unrepentant who come into the doors of the church...the problem lies in the members and believers who should know better. This is the emphasis in Paul's exhortation in 1 Corinthians 5.

Notice his closing in 1 Cor 5:12, "For what have to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside church whom you are to judge?" When Paul speaks of "church" here (and elsewhere) he is not speak of individual assemblies but the larger, broader Church or the Body of Christ...that is believers.

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.