1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Free Logos books 2015

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Deacon, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freebie Friday

Once again its Noet Classics Freebie Friday

Today Only, they offer The Harvard Classics, vol. 8: Nine Greek Dramas [LINK]

Just use coupon code AESCHYLUS at checkout.

Greek Philosophers had an influence on Paul and his teachings.

Many if us read Oedipus and Antigone by Sophocles as teens in high school.

This book contains a few more:

•The House of Atreus Trilogy, by Aeschylus and
    •Agamemnon
    •The Libation-Bearers
    •The Furies
    •Prometheus Bound, by Aeschylus
    •Oedipus the King, by Sophocles
    •Antigone, by Sophocles
    •Hippolytus, by Euripides
    •The Bacchae, by Euripides
    •The Frogs, by Aristophanes

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noet Classics Freebie Friday

Get The Harvard Classics, vol. 3: Essays by Bacon, Milton, and Browne [LINK] for free today by using the coupon code MILTON

Explore key essays by luminary sixteenth- and seventeenth-century thinkers Francis Bacon, John Milton and Thomas Browne. Find Bacon’s utopian novel, New Atlantis with visions of human discovery, generosity, and enlightenment. Get into Bacon’s thought on a number of public and private issues, with 59 essays on everything from truth and love to riches and fame. Read Milton’s prose with eloquent philosophical defense of free speech and free press, and discover his views concerning education—including ideas for its reform, its purpose, and an ideal curriculum. Discover Thomas Browne’s Religio Medici (The Religion of a Doctor), containing personal musings on Christian faith, hope, and charity—both a spiritual study and a psychological self-portrait.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    August's Free Book of the Month

August's Free Book of the Month is...

Mikeal C. Parsons' Paideia Commentaries on the New Testament: Acts [LINK]

Publication Date: November 2008

464 pp. Normally $30.00

Paideia commentaries explore how New Testament texts form Christian readers by

• attending to the ancient narrative and rhetorical strategies the text employs
    • showing how the text shapes theological convictions and moral habits
    • commenting on the final, canonical form of each New Testament book
    • focusing on the cultural, literary, and theological settings of the text
    • making judicious use of maps, photos, and sidebars in a reader-friendly format

“[Parsons] traces the rhetorical shape of the book as a whole and in its parts and devotes special attention to identifying and describing the rhetorical devices used by Luke; this slant makes his commentary distinctive over against most previous work and gives it special value. The focus on the final text and what it intended to convey to Luke’s implied audience is to be welcomed. . . . This commentary contains frequent items of historical and theological interest. But beyond this is the methodical identification of the very numerous rhetorical devices that Parsons finds in the text. . . . I have not been able to do justice to the wealth of helpful, interesting, and discussable material in this commentary, but I trust that I have said sufficient to indicate its great value for an understanding of how Acts ‘works.’ Many besides the students who are the target audience will want to turn to it for its important contribution to Lukan studies.”–I. Howard Marshall, Review of Biblical Literature

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noted in the first post that the free book offers were a promotional devise used by FaithLife to interest others into purchasing their product.
    You don't have to buy anything.

A new promotional offer provides a free book every week if you post the offer on your Facebook page.

BACK TO SCHOOL SALE OFFER [LINK]

Once you have posted the free offer is unlocked.

Free Book this week:

Continental Commentary Series: Genesis 1-11

by Claus Westerman (1975)

A classic commentary on the stories gf Genesis from creation through Noah and the Tower of Babel focusing on the documentary hypothesis.

Rob

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vyrso freebie - August 3rd

The Top Ten Leadership Commandments

VYRSO [LINK].........KINDLE [LINK]

by Hans Finzel (2012)
    256 pages

Based on the life and legacy of Moses, The author presents ten scriptural principles that can revolutionize your business, your ministry, even your life.

The life of Moses provides a master study on what it means to be an effective leader. Consider his pedigree: Answered the call to do something beyond his means; stood his ground before kings; led millions of people on a journey across rivers and through deserts. Moses did this all with a dogged persistence that would not give up. You will discover a dynamic, effective tool for developing leadership skills, all built on the solid foundation of God’s word.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vyrso Freebie

You Can Still Wear Cute Shoes: And Other Great Advice from an Unlikely Preacher's Wife [LINK]

By Lisa McKay (2010)

An utterly honest, charmingly-witty, and biblically insightful guide for every minister’s wife who wants to serve the church and support her husband -without losing herself along the way.

When most women think of a “pastor’s wife,” certain images come to mind: either a woman who’s so holy she doesn’t seem human, or someone sentenced to a life without fun, fashion, or friends. You will feel an instant sisterhood with Lisa, a senior pastor’s wife happily serving in the trenches. She understands the challenges of a life lived before a congregation, from finding friends and coping with criticism to saying goodbye and starting all over again.

Through Lisa’s engaging style and fresh perspective, you’ll be encouraged to fully embrace being “married to the ministry”!

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noet Classics Freebie Friday

It's Friday, once again Noet offers a Freebie!

This week Noet Freebie Friday offers

The Harvard Classics, vol. 27: English Essays: Sidney to MacAulay [LINK]

Use Coupon Code: ESSAYS
    Offer ends Friday at midnight Pacific time

You’ll get:
    • The Defense of Poesy, by Sir Philip Sidney
    • On Shakespeare, by Ben Jonson
    • On Bacon, by Ben Jonson
    • Of Agriculture, by Abraham Cowley
    • The Vision of Mirza, by Joseph Addison
    • Westminster Abbey, by Joseph Adison
    • The Spectator Club, by Sir Richard Steele
    • Hints Towards an Essay on Conversation, by Jonathan Swift
    • A Treatise on Good Manners and Good Breeding, by Jonathan Swift
    • A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet, by Jonathan Swift
    • On the Death of Esther Johnson [Stella], by Jonathan Swift
    • The Shortest-Way with the Dissenters, by Daniel Defoe
    • The Education of Women, by Daniel Defoe
    • Life of Addison, 1672–1719, by Samuel Johnson
    • Of the Standard of Taste, by David Hume
    • Fallacies of Anti-Reformers, by Sydney Smith
    • On Poesy or Art, by Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    • Of Persons One Would Wish to Have Seen, by William Hazlitt
    • Deaths of Little Children, by Leigh Hunt
    • On the Realties of Imagination, by Leigh Hunt
    • On the Tragedies of Shakspere, by Charles Lamb
    • Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow, by Thomas de Quincey
    • A Defence of Poetry, by Percy Bysshe Shelley
    • Machiavelli, by Thomas Babington Macaulay

Get all 24 essays for free today!

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facebook 'Back to School' Promotional

Continental Commentary Series: Leviticus: A Book of Ritual and Ethics [LINK]
    by Jacob Milgrom (2004)

Share the offer on Facebook and check the bottom of the page to add the free book to your cart.

Leviticus may be one of the least read books of the Pentateuch but it is foundational to understanding context of the bible.
    Milgram's three volume commentary on Leviticus in the Anchor Bible series is much more detailed but this volume is quite a bit more accessable (particularly because it's free).

Leviticus gives us a fuller perspective on how people are to relate to God and to others.

#68 Deacon, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vyrso Freebie

When "I Do" Becomes "I Don't": Practical Steps for Healing During Separation & Divorce [LINK]

[Kindle Link]

by Laura Petherbridge

When Laura Petherbridge realized her marriage was ending, she asked the gut-wrenching question,

"What do I do now?"

Now Laura offers practical answers about divorce that she has found through her own experience and through two decades of caring for those grieving the loss of a marriage. In the midst of pain and confusion, you might also be asking questions such as these:

• How do I find where I belong when I no longer know my identity?
    • If my spouse asks for forgiveness, should I go back?
    • If I get an attorney, will my spouse think I'm giving up on our marriage forever?
    • How do I figure out a budget on my own?
    • What should I do when others criticize my ex-spouse in front of my kids?
    • How do I reenter the workplace after years of staying home?
    • How will I know when it's a good time to date again?
    • Does God still care about me?
    • Will I ever be happy again?

With straightforward, sensitive answers to these questions and others, Petherbridge offers real-life help, spiritual insights, and new hope for the future.

10. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Two of our preaching elders at my church ( www.lighthouseministries.org ) have been conducting a series of sermons on how God's calling Moses to lead His People out of Egypt is basically how He calls Christians of today into whatever He wishes them to be doing in this day and age.

While God's no longer calling us to lead the children of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob back to the land "flowing with milk and honey" as He did with Moses, there are principles we can apply from the Exodus account (and also from Stephen's account about this same incident that is found in the NT book of Acts) that show us that God can use Christians today who feel just like Moses did in his "burning bush" encounter with God that's recorded for us in Exodus.

Yesterday (08/09/2015) our lead pastor preached on how our human "baggage" shouldn't be used as an excuse not to follow God's call in our lives. What follows is an outlined summary of his sermon Baggage and the Call of God (Acts 7:17-29)

Q: Why did Moses hesitate?
    1st hesitation: "Who am I?" (Ex. 3:10-11) IMPORTANT TRUTH: For every hesitation, God has the answer.
    2nd hesitation: "Who are You?" (Ex. 3:13) "I AM" is the Ever-Existing God of All Mankind.
    3rd hesitation: "But what if they don't believe me? (Ex. 4:1)
    4th hesitation: "Lord, I'm not eloquent. I don't speak well." (Ex. 4:10)

Caution #1: Our past successes and failures can lead us to completely miss, or to misinterpret what God is saying and doing.

Caution #2: Our hurts and wounds from the past can cause us to live a without faith--we don't want to risk being hurt (or being hurt again).
    3 Paralyzing fears:
    #1: Fear of failures (Ps. 37:24) "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholds him with His hand." Truth: We are called to be overcomers--not risk-avoiders
    #2: Fear of rejection: The Israelites had already rejected me as their leader 40 years before so why would they now accept me? (Ex. 2:11-14)
    #3: Fear of being a failure again. "Even if I'm accepted by the Israelites, my past proves that I'm just as apt to disappoint them again." (Ex. 4:1)

Caution #3: Our greatest successes can also create our most glaring weaknesses.
    God's truth about our weaknesses:
    1) God told Paul that His strength was perfected in Paul's weakness. (2 Cor. 12:9)
    2) Our failures in the past don't necessarily disqualify us from future use. (Ps. 77:7-8)
    3) God always has the answer for every failure, every every question, every hesitation that we have. (Matt. 10:29-31)
    4)There comes a time when we need to stop hesitating--and simply trust God. (1 Ki. 19:1-18)

All of us have some "Baggage" from our past, but when God calls you, don't hesitate to obey Him. In spite of all the excuses you can conjure up, as a child of the Eternal, Changeless God, we need to remember that not only, "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world," (1 Jn. 4:4), but also that "He who began a good work will be able to perform it until the Day of Jesus Christ" (Phil. 1:6)!

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moses provides a great example of what God can do with broken people but God works in different ways with different people. Don't expect him to make you a good speaker just because you are chosen for leadership. God's plans work themselves out within broken people who are willing to be used by him in his special ways.

The August Issue of the Gospel Coalition's journal, Themelios [LINK] is available for free.

Many, if not most of these journals are free. Check out the links along side the page for other months issues.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's Noet Freebie Friday again.

Today only, they offer Harvard Classics: Plutarch’s Lives [LINK]
    Just use the coupon code PLUTARCH at checkout.

Written in the first century, Plutarch’s Lives presents biographies of famous Greeks and Romans. A skilled storyteller, Plutarch’s colorful anecdotes bring historical figures to life.

Today’s free book includes:

• Themistocles
    • Pericles
    • Aristides
    • Alcibiades
    • Coriolanus
    • Comparison of Alcibiades with Coriolanus
    • Demosthenes
    • Cicero
    • Comparison of Demosthenes and Cicero
    • Caesar
    • Antony

Here's another one I'll mention... but don't feel you need to download if it bothers you.
    Two prominent centers for the Swedenborg cult happen to be in Chicago, near where I was raised, and in a nearby town of Bryn Athyn, PA.
    This book has become known lately because it's Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg's latest book club selection.

Until August 20th Noet is also offering "The Varieties of Religious Experience" [LINK] written by philosopher (and Swedenborgian church cult member), William James in 1902.
    In the book he reflects on personal religious practices across major world religions. James meditates on how people draw upon their beliefs to find meaning and purpose in life.

#72 Deacon, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get Volume 1 of Timothy Dwight's 5-volume classic
    Theology: Explained and Defended [LINK] (1818)

Use checkout code DWIGHTFB at checkout.

Timothy Dwight IV, the grandson of Jonathan Edwards and son of a major in the army of George Washington, is widely known for his theological writings, preaching, and his presidency at Yale University. Dwight led a fascinating life, which is explained in a 78 page memoir at the beginning of this volume, followed by 31 sermons. The content of each sermon points to the undeniable existence of God, as Dwight compares atheism to Christianity, elaborates on direct proof of the existence of God, addresses the subject of angels, and discusses the soul of man. His sermons are rich with Scriptural references and biblical wisdom.

A compelling collection of sermons, the words of Dwight provide thought-provoking, biblical reflection as he reminds us of the great importance of theological study.

14. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Facebook Back to School Offer

Another Back-to-School promotional offer this week.

Just share the offer on Facebook and check the bottom of the page to add the free book to your cart.

Hermeneia: 1 Peter: A Commentary on First Peter [OFFER LINK]

by Paul J. Achtemeier (1996)

Normally $48 - Free this week with promotional offer

Achtemeier's commentary discusses the Greek original, with translation, verse by verse.

An valuable addition to the Hermeneia commentary series providing an evangelically-friendly view alongside critical up-to-date scholarship.

15. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free for a time on Vyrso and Kindle

Be the Leader You Were Meant to Be: Lessons On Leadership from the Bible [LINK] [KINDLE LINK]
    by LeRoy Eims

Be The Leader You Were Meant To Be is a definitive resource for creating leaders who make a difference. Biblically-based, time-tested, and real-world proven, this landmark guide offers powerful, practical insights for personal and professional development. Inside you’ll learn:
    • How to cultivate the traits of an effective leader
    • Why some leaders succeed more than others
    • God’s standard for authentic leadership
    • How to resolve career challenges and difficulties
    • How to excel in any profession

Discover how you can make an impact in your workplace, on your team, and in your life. And uncover the leader that God intended you to be.

Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own [LINK] [KINDLE LINK]
    by Britt Merrick

Have you ever felt like there’s a higher calling for your life? Something more than the mundane weekly routine of work, eat, sleep, play, and church? In Godspeed, Britt Merrick challenges us to step out of our little, self-centered lives and step into God’s grand mission—His plan to restore, redeem, and renew the world. Your heart has been aching for something more. This is it. Join His mission and change the world.

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vyrso and Kindle offers

Learning Styles [LINK] .... [KINDLE LINK]

by Marlene LeFever (2011)

Learning Styles is full of practical, helpful, and eye-opening information about the different ways kids perceive information and then use that knowledge, as well as how their behavior is often tied to their particular learning style. When we understand learning styles—imaginative, analytic, common sense, and dynamic—and adjust our teaching or parenting to those styles, we begin reaching everyone God gives us to teach.

Let Us Pray: 120 Prayers for All Occasions [LINK] . . . [KINDLE LINK]

by David Clowes (2007)

Let Us Pray is a collection of eloquently written prayers drawing believers to the essence of faith—prayers that will glorify God's wondrous works, comfort during troubling times, and help readers lift others' needs to God.
    For the times when you are led to pray, but don't know what to say, this book will help you find just the right expression for the situation.

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    note freebie friday

Sorry, I'm doing this on my IPad this morning - still setting up Win 10 on the computer and there are a few bugs on the window.

Noet Freebie Friday offers Harvard Classics: English Poetry

https://noet.com/products/10326/the...day2015&_ga=1.158849466.1252490455.1440149261

Today’s free book presents an extensive anthology, featuring over 760 works by great English and American poets.

Go to Noet.com and find the blog site for the offer.

Use coupon code VERSE

#77 Deacon, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
  18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back to School Promotion

Hermeneia: The Johannine Epistles: A Commentary on the Johannine Epistles

by Rudolf K. Bultmann [1973]

Share the offer [LINK] on Facebook or Twitter and get it for free!

A quite technical, older critical commentary by a influential Lutheran theologian. In this English translation of this German commentary, Bultmann delves deeply into the Greek text to communicate the radical faith of Christianity.

19. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Free on Vyrso and Kindle

A Million Ways to Die: The Only Way to Live [LINK] .... [KINDLE LINK]

by Rick James [2010]

We talk a lot about resurrection. What about the death that must come first? Through story and biblical insight, Rick James reminds us that when Jesus tells us to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow him, he is describing a path of death, not a path to death.

Giving up our own plans in order to meet someone else’s needs. Allowing God to shape our dreams, even as we lose a relationship, a job, a hoped-for future. Being alert to these daily opportunities to die to ourselves is how we discover that every act of dying, done in faith, leads to spiritual growth.

As we learn to embrace the little deaths of everyday existence, we lose our taste for lifeless religiosity. Our appetite for a thriving, vibrant life in Christ grows—and our own experience motivates others to live out their extraordinary mission on earth. In truth, death is not an ending. It is the only way to experience abundant life.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Noet Freebie Friday offer

Get Harvard Classics Vol. 24: Edmund Burke [LINK] Free

Use Coupon Code EDMUND at checkout.

Famous Edmund Burke Quotes:

• Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.
    • Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.
    • The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.
    • The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    • When the leaders choose to make themselves bidders at an auction of popularity, their talents, in the construction of the state, will be of no service. They will become flatterers instead of legislators; the instruments, not the guides, of the people.