1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Does the Greek Text Matter?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother. We had some good fellowship, then all gathered around her and prayed for her. She's had a rough life, but the Lord is with her.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your illustrations?! Your illustrations illustrated your small-mindedness in post 164. You are becoming quite adept at denigration.
    What you meant was to bad-mouth me despite your hypocritical denials.
    Of course you have, why deny the obvious?

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell you what. This conversation has departed so far from the OP, and gotten so personal, I'm going to put you on my ignore list. Sayonara. :wavey:

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have gotten very personal that's for sure.

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the OP it was stated that putting disputed passages "in doubt (brackets) keeps part of the whole counsel of the Word of God from us." JJ isists he was speaking of only the Critical New Testament Greek text. Therefore, "keeping the Word of God from US does not refer to the vast majority of Christians.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As James White said on that site:
    "There was no 'skating by' with Columbia Seminary, and as a result, I'll pile up the work that I submitted to Columbia against any person who has a comparable degree from anywhere, with full confidence that no programs require more than Columbia did."
    He is very sharp as is readily apparent to any sentient being.
    The man has written two dozen quality books. He is no theological lightweight. Try on just three for size:
    The Potter's Freedom

The God Who Justifies

The Forgotten Trinity

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are nonsensical.
    You are wrong. It's a Th.D

I'd like to how he was able to debate with Bart Ehrman on the subject of textual criticism if Dr. White is considered so inferior scholastically. I have a feeling that JJ would not have fared so well against B.E.

8. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, as I later discovered and posted, the apologetics program he was enrolled in is rated top 10 in the nation. Plus I have watched him debate. He is one of the best apologists I have seen, heard or read. He knows apologetics. If he says Columbia has a top program, they have a top program.
    That funny. I was just looking at his books last night. Ordered the one he wrote on the quran. I think the Potters Freedom will be next. My Seminary reading load has been high, so I haven't got to read the books I have wanted.

I have a stack of books waiting to be read. MacArthur's "Gospel according to Jesus", and "Strange fire" are high on my stack, but White will cut in front.

I need to quite buying books before I read the previous. I have 7 in the "Que", ha!

#188 McCree79, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently checked out Columbia again. I learned that they give 6 free credits, called "ministry-experience credits," for one year of ministry. That would give me, let's see, 234 credits without cracking a book! I could probably get another master's and maybe a PhD and ThD with that--as long as I pay their fees. :smilewinkgrin:

No, wait, those credits don't apply to the doctoral program. For that I have to let them know what projects I've completed. Let me see, Japanese NT translation--check. A bunch of syllabi and study notes in Japanese--check. A couple of books in Japanese--check. Yeah, I could still probably pick up the PhD and ThD, as long as I paid their fees. Yahoo, I'm on my way to an easy doctorate!

Look, you being in seminary, do you really want people like me to get degrees without working for them? I worked hard for my BA and MA, as I'm sure you're working hard for your degree. Ministry experience and academic accomplishments are apples and oranges.

#189 John of Japan, Jul 28, 2015
  10. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, go for it! :)
    They probably have a cap don't they?
    Most institutions have a minimum of of "in house" credit hours.

11. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the "ministry credit" have to be completed under an approved mentor. Like the some SBC schools do? Which I believe you can also only do once, for 2 or 3 credits.

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, probably. I was being facetious. My point is that if they are so great, why are they allowing these "ministry-experience" credits? People with a genuine, accredited doctorate call that a sign of a degree mill.

Don't take it from me. Just ask some of the guys with genuine doctorates over in the "Baptist Colleges / Seminaries" forum of the BB, like Rhetorician or exscentric, or Greektim with an accredited ThM. Or tell you what, just ask one of your profs with a genuine PhD. :tonofbricks:

I sincerely hope you aren't attracted to that type of school for a further degree. If you are, that mistake will follow you the rest of your career, as it has followed James White, whatever his genuine accomplishments are--and he is a well-versed apologist and debater and author. But he will never be taken seriously in academia.

#192 John of Japan, Jul 28, 2015
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know which SBC schools you mean. A regionally accredited school is not allowed to give out "ministry credits."

As for doing it under an approved mentor, I don't seen anything like that on the CES website. The way it is done is shown in the PDF on the website as a "sample portfolio" here: http://www.columbiaseminary.edu/admissions/

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And with that line you'll "never be taken seriously in academia" I dare say!

15. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah....I shouldn't have said "credit". It is called The Practice of Ministry or Applied Ministry. You work under the supervision of an approved mentor/Instructor. It's "field work". SBTS and its extensions offer it.

16. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I have no desire for Columbia. Every class I have is accredited. I will stick with Southern, its online and/or extension classes.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm entirely in favor of such field work programs. The men in our college are required to do an internship for which they get credit: a pastoral major with a pastor, a missions major on the mission field, and so forth. And such programs usually have an academic component to them--a paper, books to read and so forth.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you. You are getting a quality education there.

If you go on for a doctorate, you will be required to learn two foreign languages for theological study, as well as Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. My son learned German and French for his PhD at Southeastern under David Alan Black. CES has no such requirement, so James White was short-changed when he got his degree there. And there are other areas of academic rigor that a CES degree will not match Southern and other accredited schools.

19. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I haven't had this class. I don't know about a paper(probably does), but it certainly comes with books.

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in my office just for this morning, but I'm not seeing the point of this request. It's a pretty general statement. There are 30 miniscules cited in the UBS3 apparatus for the Gospels, but what would be the point of listing them all?

If you would like to start a new thread about the point you are trying to make, I'd be happy to meet you there, but this thread is on p. 20 and they usually get closed at that point. In fact, I'm going to ask that it be closed.

It's been nice talking to you. :wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.