1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mike Murdock on Inspiration Network "Campmeeting"...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Alive in Christ, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Has anybody else seen this thing? My understanding is that back in the old days "campmeeting" was a good thing.

This bunch is doing it in a TV studio.

They have this guy Mike Murdock giving the "Word" from God. And he launches into just about the most sinister manipulation techniques imaginable to get people to ((((SEND MONEY.)))

Lots of it.

Now, I know ministries ask Gods people to help...I have no problem with that. But usually it is "Whatever you can give, we will appreciate" But this Murdock guy devoted an hour and a half to convincing people that God is asking for $1000.00 "Seeds"

Thats right.

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!

He calls them "seeds" because he cons people into believing that if they send the $1000.00 "Seed"...that God will send them a "100 fold" return!

Goodness gracious.

This is beyond anything I have ever seen.

And when they ask people to send the ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS, they actually BARK OUT to the viewers to...

"GET UP OUT OF YOU CHAIR AND GO TO THE PHONE!!"

GET UP OFF THE SOFA AND GO TO THE PHONE!!!

HURRY UP! QUICKLY...QUICKLY...QUICKLY...GET UP AND GO TO THE PHONE!

TIME IS RUNNING OUT! TIME IS RUNNING OUT!

GET UP OFF THE SOFA, AND GO TO THE PHONE!

GET UP! GET UP! SEND YOU 1000.00 SEED!

GOD WILL MULTIPLY IT TO YOU A HUNDRED FOLD!

On and on it goes. Has anyone else seen this thing?

Goodness...some of these people should be put in jail.

God have mercy.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It's the typical prosperity gospel pitch for money.

Other names for this kind of thing are Health, Wealth and Healing Gospel; Name It and Claim it; Blab It and Grab It. It is built around the idea that God intends for all of us to be healthy; God intends for all of us to be wealthy. The pitch is, if you want to be wealthy, give your money to me, then we'll both be wealthy. You'll give me your money, and God will give you yours, many times over.

Here's a good story:

My daughter received a phone call from one of those "ministries" asking for a "seed gift." It was along the lines of "send us $100 and God will send you $1,000." She asked the caller, "so you really believe that?"

"We sure do."

"Well," said my daughter, "I tell you what. You send me the $1,000 dollars and God will bless your ministry with $10,000."

"Uh, well, um, we can't do that."

"Okay, bye."

3. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smart daughter... bet her name is removed from the call list! :thumbsup: