1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What non-fiction books on Christianity would you recommend to your congregation?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by annsni, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I figured you meant books more worthwhile than romance or crime novels, etc.

Capitol Hill Baptist in DC has published a book recommendation list on its website:

https://web.archive.org/web/2014051...lbaptist.org/we-provide/book-recommendations/

The biography Selena: Countess of Huntingdon looks intriguing. She was leader of a Calvinistic Methodist denomination in the 1700s; George Whitefield served under her.

The church's pastor Mark Dever notes how stories by Bunyan, Lewis, and Peretti illustrate biblical truth:

https://books.google.com/books?id=H...q=inauthor:dever bunyan lewis peretti&f=false

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. JFish123

JFish123 New Member

Here's my faves :)
    The Jesus Mission
    The greatest words ever spoken
    The bondage breaker
    Victory over the darkness
    Chronicles of the host

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Archaeology and Bible History

by Joseph Free

Excellent book.

5. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Most of my congregation is reading a New Work by a New Author their Pastor.

It is called "The Purpose of The Church And its Members/A Spiritual Walk."

Today is it release date with the publisher. It can be found on Barnes and Noble website, Amazon books and the publishers website "Tate :publishing"

THE PURPOSE OF THE CHURCH AND ITS MEMBERS

When a church is established God the Holy Spirit lead the people in the work. They had a vision for that church a divine purpose. The same for the life of the believer when He saved you He established a purpose in your life. The purpose for both you and the church is shown in The Purpose of The Church and Its Members/ A Spiritual Walk, come find your purpose and the purpose for your church.

6. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

FWIW, Free's book was the textbook for Faith Baptist Bible Institute's Fall 1971 class in "Bible Backgrounds -- Geology & Archaeology."

We used Free's "1969 Revised Edition."

I'm not sure that this book is even available any more. I searched about a dozen pages on Amazon's site for the title, and got a lot of entries. None were this book's title.

At any rate, I learned much from it.

Also, FWIW, it would seem that the Bible's narratives (esp. in the OT) eventually seem to be verified by archaeology--at least they've never been disproved.

One of the classic examples would be of the people known as the "Hittites."

Joshua 1:4 states that the "Promised Land" that the LORD would give Joshua and the "children of Israel" would include, "all the land of the Hittites."

Free's book (p. 125-126) states, in part, "This [Josh. 1:4] is just one out of some forty passages in the Bible which mention the Hittites. Even though they are referred to these many times [cf. "Uriah the Hittite" in II Sam. 11], some scholars in the nineteenth century expressed doubts as to the existence or at least the importance of such an ancient people. At the end of the nineteenth century, A.H. Sayce, the British Assyriologist, identified the Hittites of the Bible with the mysterious Hatti of the monuments, and published his Story of a Forgotten Empire (1892)...."

The rest is, as 'they' say "history."

NOTE: FBBI was a "educational outreach" of Faith Baptist Church; Sellersville, PA. It was not "accredited" nor was its Sunday School. I was a student in it from 1969-72, prior to my leaving PA to move to TN.

Pastor David C. Auckland "founded" FBBI because he firmly believed that God's people ought to "know more about salvation and God's Word than what's typically offered by merely attending Sunday worship and/or SS, etc. Without some more education than these can typically offer, people can quite easily be 'no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive.'" (Eph. 4:14).

Apparently FBBI no longer exists. When it ceased to exist, I don't know. More than likely it was about the time Pastor David left to become an Adjunct Professor at Maranatha Baptist Bible College in Watertown WI.

As I have mentioned in the "Great Expositors" thread, his eldest son Paul (a TN Temple Grad.) assumed the pastorate once his father left. FBC's website ( www.faithatsellersville.org ) doesn't seem to mention anything about it.

Personally, I haven't even attended Faith Baptist in at least a dozen years, so whatever "happened to FBBI" is, to quote our illustrious POTUS, "not my pay grade!"

#26 wpe3bql, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015