1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

When They Stepped On Stage And Started Singing An Old Hymn, I Didn’t Expect It’d Take

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Revmitchell, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was written as a hymn in the early 1800s, became even more known when it was reportedly sung as the Titanic sank in 1912. But that doesn’t mean it’s a sad song, rather “Nearer, My God, To Thee” is an inspirational song filled with hope and comfort through hard times.

This version of the hymn is so amazing. It really moved us as the BYU Vocal Point group harmoniously sang a cappella, complete with rhythm and dynamic sound. Make sure you turn your volume up because you don’t want to miss a moment of this performance!

http://qpolitical.com/stepped-stage-started-singing-old-hymn-didnt-expect-itd-take-breath-away/

• Like Like x 1
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Byu?

3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church I grew up in we always sang a cappella and I remember Nearer My God To Thee and sang it many times. Also all the old hymns the same way. We were shape note singers and those who excelled in that became Sacred Harp Singers and they are the cream of the crop...I started leading song service at the age of fifteen and led for 40 years. Never could master Sacred Harp... Listen to some Sacred Harp Singers if you can find them... You may like them you may not. It's a acquired taste... FYI!... Brother Glen

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I LOVE that stuff. :thumbsup:

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also had the opportunity to attend with the African American brethren of our same faith and order in one of their meetings. They used our church for that meeting. They sang Amazing Grace a cappella, the words were the same but the tune was different. You could hear in every stanza the struggle and oppression they and there ancestors went through and are going through... I never heard it sang like and I never forgot it... In that song they bared their heart and soul in thanksgiving to the Lord after going through so much... Brother Glen

6. nailah783

nailah783 Member

This is one of the things you do learn in the church choir in a predominately African American church. We have to sing with all of our being to the Lord because he gave us this gift and we have to give it back to him in praise and thanksgiving. We have chuch, not just church, but chuch when we walk into the house of the Lord. It is time for a praise break every time, and you are not going to get the same experience anywhere else.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't want to nearer to the god9s) of BYU.

8. Sue-Ellen

Sue-Ellen Active Member

This is an amazing version of the song. It has always been a favorite of mine from the time that my mom would rock me to sleep and sing that song to me. I remember it like it was yesterday. This brings back so many precious and wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing. The song gave me chills!