1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Writing a Book on John R. Rice

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, Jun 15, 2015.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since my church uses the ESV, I've come to notice that it's the "you all" Bible. The phrase "you all" appears quite frequently in the ESV.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I grew up in Alabama and we always said the 'L' sound - but spelled it y'all because the apostrophe replaced the 'ou' in 'you all'

#22 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2015
  3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, to tell the truth, having been out of the country for a few years, and coming back to live in the North, I can't pose as a linguist of the Southern idiom.

I'll have to go back to study the little book I gave my wife when I was courting her: How to Talk Southern. :type:

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yup, that's how I always saw it spelled. I mis-spelled it. Comes from having moved to the North. (Only God could have got me up here. ;))

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

BTW I remember a lunch at Temple after your grandad spoke. As you know all the important people sat on the platform in the cafeteria.

Your grandad saw a spot at our table and came down to sit with us - even though he had to sit in 'starvation corner.' He touched my heart with his humility.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He genuinely loved college students. Remember how he gave 50% discounts on all his books to the students?

7. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Self publishing or is a major publisher looking at it?

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll not be self-publishing it. There is the possibility of a start-up (not mine) doing it. Then there is always Granddad's own company, the Sword of the Lord, though family members consider the editor pretty radical nowadays. We'll see how the Lord leads.

9. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

I have a book being released end of the month through a company that calls it self publishing. Where I paid them to publish it. So was just wondering. A Second book is due out in August through them.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's odd. That is usually called vanity publishing. Self-publishing is when you get it printed and advertise it all yourself.

Good for you on your books.

11. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazon has publish on demand that is free unless you want some assist with it. They get their cut when you sell books. Process seems fairly easy and simple from what I've read about it thus far.

As to stories: When in Bible college wife and I and another couple went to hear Him along with Jack Hyles. Hyles spoke first - came to his closing prayer the pianist started playing and he rudely told her not to - "I don't need piano playing when I pray!" (Next day the wife heard him on the radio with piano music while he prayed :)

Anyway he started in on the offering and made a humongous show of how much he could weasel out of the congregation. Anyone giving $5 raise your hands. Anyone giving $10 stand up (as they did they were looking around so everyone could see who they were :). It was such a show we all were disgusted and left before your grand father spoke.

Always felt comfortable with the leaving but also regretted missing your grand-dad.

12. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope you will write the book. I heard him preach at TTU, at Sword conferences and in the big summer Sword meeting. I was waiting to ask him to sign my Bible when he asked the special music guy - can't remember his name, great operatic voice but died very young - what he was going to sing. Dr. Rice said could you sing a particular song. The singer said how could I turn you down?

He was a great man. I will look forward to reading it.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a witness that Jack could be very rude--and very gracious. Kind of a multiple personality guy. I'm also a witness that he was, shall we say, sometimes...spotty in regards to finances.

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have three chapters of a rough draft done. Thanks for the encouragement.

The singer sounds like Ray Hart.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As soon as i saw the name.. yes, it was Ray Hart. What a powerful voice.

16. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good luck with the book, my mother and her family grew up in the IFB movement they always spoke highly of him. Have any other books been written on him?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

There have been two full length biographies, a history of the family especially including him, two pamphlet biographies, and six dissertations (3 PhD and 3 MA) on his influence.

18. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

JoJ, what did he think of your MA training? Was he enthusiastic about it? Or was he wary of it?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was pretty much of a man's man, having played and coached football when he was young (before the days of all the protective equipment. So though we never talked about it I'm sure he approved.

In fact, at John R. Rice's National Sword Conference in Indianapolis in 1974, I ran Mike Crain's booth for him dressed in a kung fu uniform. Mike was a martial arts evangelist, in case you didn't know him. At one point, in front of about 5,000 people, Mike did a stunt where he lay on a bed of nails and I swung a sledge and broke the concrete off his stomach. Grandpa Rice allowed this to be set up, of course.

20. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Fond Memories

John,

I have some very found memories of your grandfather and one of my favorites is the last time I heard him speak (Midway Baptist in San Diego) two or three months before he passed. He spoke out of Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint; he spoke for a good while as I remember stating how he learned to pray over the years by first learning ask for little things and ultimately that trust grew till he felt comfortable asking God for the impossible things.

I especially remember the altar call it was perhaps one of the greatest altar calls I have ever seen. In attendance that evening were perhaps 800 people and when the altar call was given there was left in the pews a mere handful of people. Our oldest two children still have the bibles he autographed.

A tremendous servant of our God I am sure the book will strive to do him justice. Romans 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: ... honour to whom honour. (is due)

May your passion continue till the book is published.