1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ignore List

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sapper Woody, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Firstly, I'd like to state my opinion on putting someone on ignore. I personally think it's a cop out. Putting someone on ignore is at worst telling them that you can't debate on their level, and at best telling everyone that you have no discipline or self control (as these posters "bring out the worst in you"). I personally have never used the ignore function, and plan on never using it. This is a Christian forum. There should be no reason to even have it.

Secondly, if you put someone on ignore, don't taunt them about it. You have just lowered yourself to the same schoolyard level that made you want to put them on ignore.

Lastly, if you have someone on ignore, it is unethical to respond to a quote someone posted of them. A term for that is "sniper trolling". You can shoot them, and they can't defend themselves.

All in all, let's just cut the schoolyard antics, and everyone will be happier.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is an extremely timely post considering I just made someone's list. I for the record agree. If we simply widdle away the commentariat to only those that agree with us then we are creating nothing more than an echo chamber.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I believe the other person has no idea that they are on an ignore list unless someone says something and someone on an ignore list can absolutely respond to the person that put them on ignore. It think the only effect is that they can't PM the person. But for the person who put someone on ignore, they can see that someone posted but don't see what was posted unless they click a link. At least that's how it's worked on other boards I've been on. I've been tempted to ignore people here - especially ones with personal attacks - but I've not done it. Yet.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See Proverbs 20:3.

Right. Because no trolls ever come to Christian forums.

5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is strange is that this website's random add generator is showing me a click on banner for John Deere tractors. I'm dead serious.

6. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I use the ignore option occasionally. Frankly, its for none of the reasons listed in the OP. Instead, it is a matter of sanctification (so I don't get too angry) and that I find the person to be offering nothing substantive to this forum.

This isn't heaven, this isn't a church, it is an internet forum. Trolls exist, they are real. They are to be avoided. :)

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me it has nothing to do with the level of debate. I'll debate anyone on this board. But how many times can you listen to someone tell you you're a flaming liberal, an idiot, or a heretic? Is that a worthy level of debate?

That depends. If I put someone on my Ignore List for calling me a left wing democratic operative, a stooge for the international bankers, and a brainwashed hypnotized consumer idiot, and then this poster calls someone else the same thing, you better believe I'll tell the person being insulted something like, 'Just put so-and-so on your Ignore List and be done with it."

Not really. See my criteria for putting someone on Ignore (below).

I'm pretty sure this is addressed to me. Poncho brings this up constantly claiming I did this to him. I did not. I had him on my Ignore List for a short time when I first started posting here, then I took him off. At that point I started interacting with him again. He's got it in his head that I still had him on Ignore when I didn't. [Cue Poncho calling me a cowardly liar.] I've asked him to prove this but he never did. How could he?

Anyway, how is it unethical to respond to a quoted post by someone on your Ignore List? How is it they can't defend themselves? Did they forgot how to read and type? Really, now.

I may put someone on my Ignore List after:

1. They've personally insulted me at least three times. I'm not talking about, "oh that was a dumb thing to say" kind of insult, I'm talking about something like, "I bet if you were alive in Hitler's day you would have turned on the valve for the poisonous gas."

2. Constantly make nonsensical posts or post ludicrous ideas or concepts (tin-foil hat stuff.)

3. Make repetitive posts of the same subject matter over and over and over again and I've already answered them several times.

4. Constantly use flawed argumentative techniques like begging the question, strawman arguments, fallacies, etc.

By far the number one thing for me is the insults. I'm just not going to listen to that.

8. Sapper Woody

You're only helping my point. To put someone on ignore is to say you don't have the discipline necessary to cease from strife.

If they are truly trolls, they will be dealt with by the moderators. There's only one person I've read on here that I thought was a troll. They were banned. Most on here use troll to mean someone irrational, or disagreeable. That's not what it means.

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It just comes down to your personal philosophy. I don't use it but I'm not not going to hold it against those that do.

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you say. In this case, I believe it says that I don't come here to deal with that nonsense.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then I suggest you don't use the ignore list.

12. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pretty sure that was his whole point.

13. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am perfectly capable of ignoring someone on my own, I don't need to change any settings. I wouldn't even begin to know how to do it anyway.

I ignore one person on this forum, simply by scrolling past his posts.

Not because he's ever said anything inflammatory toward me. It's because we have a lot of political/ideological/theological differences, and the deepest recesses of my eye sockets start to ache every time I read what he has to say.

As for insults or "personal attacks", they don't get under my skin. If they're meant to make me feel stupid or worthless, my mom beat you to the punch 40 years ago. But i no longer build my fortress with self esteem. I have Christ esteem.

But i really don't get insulted here anyway. But some people seem to be victims of their own victim mentality, and are just looking to be offended.

$0.02

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used it once, but curiosity got the best of me.

15. Sapper Woody

That's not quite the same as "I'm putting you on ignore"

It's not aimed at anyone, but to be honest, the thread was spurred after I saw someone be put on an ignore list and called a troll today, when it was very obvious he wasn't trolling. It was just two people talking past each other.

It is unethical, because you are responding to them, but you cannot see their response. I am not saying Poncho's claims of you are true. But if they were, yes that would be cowardly.

That's what the report button is for. If people are being that insulting, they need to be banned, not ignored.
    I know you're referencing Poncho here. I also think his conspiracy theories are way over the top. But it's not a valid reason, IMO. To break it down to it's basest components: "I don't like what he says, so I'll ignore him".

This us annoying, I'll agree. But hardly a reason to ignore someone.
    This is probably the most valid reason listed here, but to me is still not enough.

Obviously, we have different thoughts about this. Oh well. It's purely an opinion.

16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To speak or ignore....that is the question?

If something causes you to sin, cut it off or remove it. The pain of being provoked is beyond civility. It is not a cop out. If the mods let people resort to provocation and rudeness the ignore status is worth listening to your points.

Hey dude you fought for the freedom to speak your mind and voice your opinion :applause: but, you also fought for the right to ignore those who infringe on another's integrity, character and right to have an opinion without inuendos, insults and insinuations to humiliate another.

Sorry you don't believe as I do, but we both put our life on the line to speak or ignore.

BTW - I have reported many insulting posts. Nothing comes from it, so I just attack back. It is wrong of me, as it takes me to their level of tactics, you've seen this in the heat of battle. Doesn't make it right, but for a few moments letting the flesh out is what insults among other things does to a person. I apologize but no one ever responds in kind. This board needs cleaning up, but that is beyond your pay grade and mine.

#16 righteousdude2, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2014
  17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we could hit ignore on terrorism, we'd not be at war. So it has its good side. BTW - we have a president that uses the ignore button? :laugh::laugh:

18. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all: If I am on your Ignore List, please tell me. :laugh:

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Some people don't, and the ignore function helps them. Everyone has a weakness and in general, I would commend them for doing what they can to avoid pitfalls.
    The same reasoning applies to other issues. People with alcohol weakness want to avoid the club section at sports events, where it is heavily in use, and people with a desire to smoke avoid the tobacco section of grocery stores.
    And...I think everyone has had a personality type capable of irking them at some point. It's reasonable that an irksome person will be among the thousands who hold membership here.
    I agree that bugging or speaking to someone on ignore is silly, and it's not an honest way to deal with the issue, if you are being honest about why they are on ignore.

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two on ignore, have not so advised them, and life on this board has been vastly improved since doing this.
    Don't give a rip what anybody else thinks about me or this action - it serves it's purpose for me!!

If you feel guilty about using this feature ------- THEN DON'T!!!

Remember we DO have liberty in Christ.

MARANATHA