1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Reality Shows

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, May 22, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Considering the scandal involving Josh Dugger, are reality shows that contain as a featured selling-point the main characters' religion a good way to promote the gospel?

I have my own opinion but wonder about others'.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not see how the Duggars situation is a consideration for anyone else.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to derail, but does the same apply to those publicly involved in politics?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?............

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trying to follow your reasoning. After all, he was a lobbyist for the Family Research Council.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    reality shows are not reality. Camera men, sound techs and lighting people sort of sucks the reality out of anything.

About what happened in the Duggar family - and I have never seen the show - they should have known that it would get out at some point and that it would be used by the media and others to condemn their beliefs and bring Christianity into question.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, Josh is the victim in this cause he was the one molested.:BangHead:

The entire timeline and coverup is sickening. Child protective services should be investigating.

This is what happens when you teach girls all they are good for is having babies and pleasing a man.

8. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Reality shows are evidence of the looming moral destruction of our society. No one, certainly no sensible Christian, should be on them.

Ultimately you leave your life to be interpreted by a lost producer who's only goal is ratings and money. Not a wise decision.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's what happens? They get molested? What a crazy statement! They appear to have been taught they are female - not bait for predators.
    Why should child services get involved? Their children, or at least one, was strong enough to tell her parents what happened. That is tough, no matter how you were raised. The parents believed her, then handled it, and they later enlisted the help of a police officer to help handle it.
    What is it you think the government run child protective services agency would have done that would be better?
    Do you really think this is not a problem in a number of homes...homes with vastly differing systems of beliefs? A person with that sick mindset is going to molest no matter the setting, or how great the parenting is, so long as a victim is available, unless and until there's a heart change.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am I to understand that you think that it was handled correctly?

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes. Based on the information so far, I believe this was handled appropriately.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the protection of the other children and their senses of safety?

Five times, by a fifteen year old who confessed after he was caught raises serious red flags of danger.

#12 Rolfe, May 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2015
  13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He was sent out of the house for months after the incident came to light from what I understand.

I agree that it was handled correctly. I question what I would do if my 14 year old did this and I would pretty much do like the Duggar's did. I shake my head at those I see on Facebook calling for the young boy's arrest at 14. What parent would do that when that wouldn't solve anything but counseling, prayer and mentoring just might actually make a difference?

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Of course it does. Rather than disbelieve the abused girls, the parents sought the truth. They counseled the child who offended, with Godly counseling. They had an officer counsel him. They sent him out of the home to a friend or acquaintance where he was kept busy with manual labor. It appears the girls were counseled and received an apology from their sibling.
    We do not know the full details on how the girls were counseled, or what else the child offender did for reparations, nor do we need to. It was a private matter. The girls are likely 10x's more traumatized by this being public information than they ever would have been otherwise. It should have been their choice to speak out on their personal situation when or if they decided it should be known. It should be the victim's choice to reveal this, not the choice of others.
    As far as the offender goes, how long after he repented and stopped should his sins in childhood be held against him? Is there no hope or belief that sins during childhood are the result of immature, selfish, impulsive thoughts that can be overcome and put away once revealed and after correction?

15. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ..................................(not worth it)

#15 Scarlett O., May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is so key in my thinking here. When are we allowed to say "such WERE some of you"?

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vell, comrade Rolf. Vhat is your opinion? Please don't keep us in da dark! :laugh:

18. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't matter if it's reality shows, or televangelists. They all end up blowing it. Fame seems to do things to a persons morals. Look at Paul Crouch (TBN) paid off his gay lover and kept it quiet for years. Rev. Jesse Jackson had his kept woman. Jim Bakker had Jessica Hahn.

It comes down to fame, money and the devil whispering in the ears of stars that "no one will ever know!"

The Duggers seemed to buy the same lie Eve and Adam bought into. Some day Oprah, Dr. Phil and others will have skeletons fall from their closets too. Even the presidents have problems, remember Billy "bop 'em" Clinton?

Fame and money are something most can't handle. This family was one of the unfortunate ones that fall into that catagorey. And life goes on.....:tonofbricks:

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good riddance.

"The Learning Channel"? It's become more like a sideshow with this "fecund bund", Little People, 600 pounders, polygamists, etc. filling up its schedule.

20. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

The police report and interviews are available online. It appears Josh may have turned himself in to his folks. He was disciplined, but when it happened again Jim Bob and Michelle took him to the police and turned him in. Child protective services did open a case. What actually happened, not the media version, is all there.

They all deserve our prayers. It is very easy to condemn as our hearts imagine our child being molested. But how hard when your child is also the molester!

Truly heartbreaking, and the media frenzy is abusing the girls far more than Josh did. (Not excusing what he did. Just that it is the girls' story to tell, not the media's. Would you not hate to have everyone discussing this if you were the victim?)