1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured But what about mom and dad

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please look at the context. "By their fruits ye shall know them" is referring to false prophets, not professing believers.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh brother

But this hypothetical man is unsaved and will love his deceased parents to the end of the word.

Bottom line - it is easy to say - "Do this", but in reality.....

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#23 Earth Wind and Fire, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OP was stated to be hypothetical, let's remain there for a moment and let's say ten days after Pentecost a man living is Australia, in Adam, died.

Hypothetically, could not that man who in Adam had died not having heard of Christ, at the appearing of Christ, or whenever, not be made alive in Christ and then be told about Christ?

And as it is appointed unto men once, to die, but after this the judgment: Heb 9:27 and I took the liberty in adding a comer after, once.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This should NEVER be preached at funerals. It is never our place to say that the person who passed went to hell because honestly we don't know. Was this person saved in the end? It is very possible. I've seen true death bed conversions and so it is not our place to prescribe where this person went. What about the thief on the cross? What fruit did he have to show that he was saved - yet Jesus told him that he would be with him in paradise. THAT preaches.

However, the Gospel is to be preached at every funeral. The message is not for the dead but for the living and as such, we always give the full and clear Gospel at a funeral service.

http://practicalshepherding.com/2012/08/27/what-is-the-best-funeral-advice-i-have-ever-received/

8. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because salvation is not in mans time or power I believe death bed conversions are very very rare, lip service does zero, and I still say all at the people at the funeral should be told where the heathen is, in hopes that they will cry out to God for mercy. A half gospel is a false gospel, Law needs to be used to show heathens they are guilty and need a Savior, if you just tell them Jesus loves them (which is a lie, see John 3:36) they wont see their need for a Savior.

Here is a video by Ray Comfort that is a good example. Remember, Jesus was not spineless and said let the dead bury the dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLdI-t5IPPg

#28 Robert William, Mar 11, 2015
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How many funerals are you invited to officiate?

10. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a Pastor, if I was I would tell them the heathens is in the eternal lake of fire, and that's where they are going if they do not repent. I wouldn't be invited to do very many funerals, but then, neither would Jesus.

Because salvation is not in mans time or power I believe death bed conversions are very very rare, lip service does zero, and I still say all at the people at the funeral should be told where the heathen is, in hopes that they will cry out to God for mercy. A half gospel is a false gospel, Law needs to be used to show heathens they are guilty and need a Savior, if you just tell them Jesus loves them (which is a lie, see John 3:36) they wont see their need for a Savior. The person who loves tells the most truth, because love rejoices with the truth.

#30 Robert William, Mar 11, 2015
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, I highly doubt Jesus would speak as you would.

And by you not being invited to do very many funerals would mean that the gospel would not be preached.

My husband has preached at numerous funerals and some of them for people we are pretty sure were unsaved but as I said, we just don't know for sure. So what does he do? He allows others to eulogize the dead and then he goes up and shares the Gospel. He speaks clearly of sin, of judgment, of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, of our chance for redemption and the great hope we have in Jesus. He then leaves the results to God. He has had people saved after these funerals (no raising of hands, no Just As I Am altar call but just people coming to him afterwards and asking for more info and then being saved). It has also given him the opportunity to speak to others outside of the funeral who were there but didn't respond and maybe later they have more questions. It's really been an incredible ministry.

What purpose would it serve to say "Welcome to the funeral of James Smith. He was an evil man and he is now burning in the unquenching lake of fire where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth. Make sure you don't go there!!"? Is that how Jesus spoke to people? I don't see that in Scripture. We address the living - not the dead. As you said, let the dead bury the dead. That person is gone and it is now our job to address those who are living with the truth of the Gospel.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you suggesting it is mans decision alone that gets them saved? Where is the HS in all this?

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a true semi PELEGIAN :D

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Ann, Very well said! It seems to me that one thing missing from many of the posts is the work of the Holy Spirit. God did not make us Judge and we should not presume to judge people, particularly saying they are in hell. {I do believe that Scripture gives us the obligation to counsel, minister to, perhaps judge, and if necessary discipline, those members of our congregation who may go astray.}

I have told this before bit I believe it is worth repeating. I had a niece who, after attending many family reunions with my nephew, had an experience of Grace. I recall the day when she called my older brother aside at a family reunion and asked that he tell the family. She died at the age of 39 after a long, long struggle with melanoma, leaving behind 3 sons, a husband and an extended family that dearly loved her. Before her death she asked her pastor to preach the Gospel at her funeral service in hopes it would reach her Jewish mother and sister! God is Good!

I have quoted the following before and I believe it is worth repeating at this time. W. T. Conner, a professor at the Southwestern Baptist Theological seminary early in the 20th century writes of election as follows [Christian Doctrine , page 155]:

We must never forget that, after all, it IS GOD who saves!

****************************************************************************************************

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen!!! God can even call someone on their deathbed and it is a true, beautiful conversion!! My husband went to the deathbed of an old co-worker of his who had a heart attack at age 53 and while this man was in a coma, my husband gave him the Gospel. We don't know if this man heard him or not but as he was speaking to him, tears began to stream down his face. Bob prayed with him and for him and left. He died a few hours later. How do we know that he didn't hear the Gospel and respond at that time? God can make rocks sing and I'm sure He could raise a soul from near death. :) Bottom line is that we don't prescribe the eternal destination of one who we think was unsaved. We just can't know but we CAN give the Gospel to those living so that they DO know where they are going.

16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

I'm thankful to the Lord that I can rest easy every night and not worry that Christ will lose any of his children that he came to die for. I'm I really my brothers keeper? The word shall is used 3 times in the angels declaration to Mary.

Thou SHALL bring forth a Son... From the Father
    Thou SHALL call his name Jesus... From the Son
    For he SHALL save his people from their sins... From the Holy Ghost

A triune declaration planned in eternity before the world was according to Gods love, mercy, and grace. Unmerited favor bestowed upon unworthy subjects. The Father gave them to the Son to save and he accomplished it on the cross and none is lost. "IT IS FINISHED!"... AMEN!...Brother Glen

17. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AveO6xFqUpY&index=39&list=FL5RDugdu9Pv5WjPf9KYBhHw

Warning, you need to listen to Joel Olsteen to compensate!:laugh::laugh:

18. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason why I believe death bed conversions are very very rare is because salvation is in Gods timing and power, not in mans, and I believe the predestined elect will be regenerated at their appointed time while they are living their life serving their purpose, and yes I know the thief on the cross was an exception.

Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

#38 Robert William, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  19. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Howdy EWF

No, that's what Ann is saying, the reason why I believe death bed conversion are very very rare is because salvation is NOT in mans timing or power. Ann seems to be leaning towards Pelagianism.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So God can't save a man or woman on their deathbed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.