1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could someody please explain the animosty...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JohnDeereFan, Nov 14, 2014.

1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was reading an article on Al.com this morning about Gary Danielson and the criticism he faces from fans.

I hear this all the time, about how people hate Danielson and Lundquist as a broadcasting team.

Why do people hate these two so much? I enjoy them and I certainly enjoy them a lot more than Joey Galloway and the girl.

2. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I can provide you a perspective as a Georgia Bulldog fan.

Danielson and Lundquist, as a team, are supposed to be unbiased, national broadcasters. But it never seems to fail that they show more excitement for one team over another. I cringe anytime Georgia lands on the CBS broadcast, because it means I'll have to put up with these two.

This has been going on for years. Several years ago Georgia faced LSU for the SEC Championship, and Verne and Gary basically handed the title to LSU before the first quarter was even done. LSU won, but hold off on handing out any accolades until after the game is decided.

When Georgia and Florida were one a couple weeks back, Georgia scored and the broadcasters were nonplussed, very non-chalant, which is fine. But then Florida scored and you would've thought Florida won the national championship on one play. They were basically giddy. They were laughing, cheering the runner on, etc. And this happens quite often with these guys. Not just with Georgia either.

Many SEC fans believe Danielson has a bias against Alabama. It's seems to have merit, as so many people offer complaints.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I rarely know who the announcers are, but for the most part, of the ones I've heard/seen, it seems that they think the fans are tuned in primarily to hear their infernal palavering and blathering of their opinions.
    I could personally enjoy a game if all they would do is "report", as opposed to their incessant yammering.

My real pet peeve though is when, in a football game, there's a penalty, they keep right on beating their gums together as the ref is announcing the penalty.

Sometimes I just mute and enjoy the game!!!

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just the opposite. I like announcers who sound like they're watching the game like I am. That's why I always loved Harry Kalas and Ritchie Ashburn (and, later, Harry and Larry Andersen).

I guess I never noticed the anti-Bama bias because I'm an Auburn alum. I guess I just assumed everybody hated Bama as much as we do.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

PT, I don't think Danielson has a bias against Bama. He said that Amari Cooper was the best player...not best WR, but player, in the NCAA...

6. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've never personally noticed his bias against Bama. I'm just thinking that, for as many people as claim he is biased, there must be something convincing them.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As my big rivalry is UC Berkley (The Golden Bears) v Stanford (The Cardinals). I have no dog in this fight.

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually like Verne. His voice is so soothing and never yells. That is why I like him a lot!

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I like him, too. In fact, he's my favorite play-by-play guy.

I do remember one time when he yelled. It was the 2005 Masters (I think). Tiger Woods chipped in from the fringe on the 16th hole. He chipped a few 25 feet above the hole, it took a right turn and rolled a toward the cup--and in. Verne went crazy (along with everybody else). "OH MY GOODNESS," he yelled. IN YOUR LIFE HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THAT?!!!!!"
    Otherwise, though, he kept it pretty low-key.

Here's the shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVDrULXH7c

I've stood at that 16th hole. It's an impossible shot. Except it was Tiger.

#9 Tom Butler, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014